What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rogue Valley MKIII

hash head

are you in rogue river oregon? Local ommp here with cls experience if you want help with your first run or with the process..

Obsidian

Veteran
Been out of the loop for a few days ploughing the fields during this short sunny spot during the rainy weather here on the farm.

Today I went to distill some tane and my heat pad min temp is 103F I just found out.

Tried to do the hot water from the sink set for 85F , 6" spool set into warm water, but the temp regulation is completely unstable.
so I set the work off till I get a grasp on the situation.

I haven't seen much posted about how critical the temp are needed for removing contaminants in the tane.

Been searching for 2 days and nothing...

what I'm asking is if the temps waiver +- either direction what happens to the tane?

if I do a cool load will the tane clean up, or is it not vaporizing enough to clean up?

I see what's going on inside the MKIII inside my head but my vision is a bit faded as to the exact science of how tane works.

I study, read the graphs and wonder...

FishmanK

Cool Thread

Cool Thread

Cool thread Obsidian!
I find my build has gone steady but slow and just did my first assembly
I went straight to larger format and used an 8" by 12" base
I was just on this site looking for posts on hose sizes, as I would hate to be wanting to upgrade right out the gate...

as far as your questions above (from what i understand in my newly-learned/incomplete studies)
heating an exploding liquid is riskier then just having it in containment is the only aspect to consider with heating just butane alone
in general keeping extractions under 85f keeps more flavor and terps
I do not think there is anyway to negatively effect butane through small temperature changes

*CHEERS!*

PS did research on parts sources on those mentioned and many more sources. Have a few suggestions on best savings on some items

Oh, and I bet if you get so you want to chill and heat columns you will want a bigger build too, so maybe just go for it then add jacketed columns in your next design.
so much easier to chill and heat

Attachments

• the_Spleefinator! .jpg
    the_Spleefinator! .jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 11

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Been out of the loop for a few days ploughing the fields during this short sunny spot during the rainy weather here on the farm.

Today I went to distill some tane and my heat pad min temp is 103F I just found out.

Tried to do the hot water from the sink set for 85F , 6" spool set into warm water, but the temp regulation is completely unstable.
so I set the work off till I get a grasp on the situation.

I haven't seen much posted about how critical the temp are needed for removing contaminants in the tane.

Been searching for 2 days and nothing...

what I'm asking is if the temps waiver +- either direction what happens to the tane?

if I do a cool load will the tane clean up, or is it not vaporizing enough to clean up?

I see what's going on inside the MKIII inside my head but my vision is a bit faded as to the exact science of how tane works.

I study, read the graphs and wonder...

When making cotton candy, we use very little heat and operate at 60 to 85F. You can't run too cold, it just takes longer cold.

Obsidian

Veteran
no, maybe I wasn't to clear.

what are the temps needed to distill the mystery crap out of the tane.

my problem is trying to keep temps steady at 85F to distill the crap out of the tane.

is there a range of temps to distill? or is it pretty much 85F to clean out the crap.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no, maybe I wasn't to clear.

what are the temps needed to distill the mystery crap out of the tane.

my problem is trying to keep temps steady at 85F to distill the crap out of the tane.

is there a range of temps to distill? or is it pretty much 85F to clean out the crap.

At atmospheric pressure, C-4 n-Butane boils around 31F and C-5 Pentane is the next longer Alkane, which boils at 97F.

85F was intended as the upper limit maximum temperature, and we run ours closer to 60F.

I recommend maintaining as much margin as you can, but if you don't pull a vacuum, or stray above 85F, you should leave most of the molecules longer than C-4 behind.

FishmanK

so running solvent first time through, one should not use a recovery pump?
or just that it should be monitored closely?

then one can "pull too hard" vacuum distilling out contaminants?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so running solvent first time through, one should not use a recovery pump?
or just that it should be monitored closely?

then one can "pull too hard" vacuum distilling out contaminants?

Use a recovery pump, but don't let the internal system pressure fall below atmospheric pressure of zero gauge,

Obsidian

Veteran
wooo! hoooo! hooo!
feel like dancing a jig.
funny being so old and feeling this excited.

distilling butane is easy, takes a little time
but wow, that was very cool.
12 cans later, and there was a very small amount of residue leftover.
I used Whip It premium UK
I was able to procure 300 - 400ml cans for $700 from a private party.
I grabbed every case and loose can he had for sale.

going to run 2 - 100g leaf tubes in a few to clean the Terp.
Then after a clean up and break I'm going to experiment tonight
with a bunch of stem material to make topicals for my wife and I.
I have about a pound of super dank bud stems that have sat here for the last 8months.
should be perfect for a salve.

Obsidian

Veteran
Hey Gray Wolf here in this thread you mention one can re run their butane once they have loaded it into the recovery tank.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=270939

...I got distracted for about ten minutes towards the end of the recovery and realized i went into a vacuum around -10hg.

...but im wondering if i might have boiled off any pentane that might have been in my N Tane.

I was never over 85* on the collection pot water bath.

Do you think i should distill it again and keep a better eye on my guage or do you think im ok?

You are close enough to the boiling point that you will be carrying over some Pentane from sublimation.

I would personally run it again, because it is lots easier to remove from the butane, than the concentrate.

How does one re distill the butane in the recovery tank?
Can the same recovery tank be used to do this cycle over?

Does one just reinject the butane through valve 4 into the tank?
How does one get all 10+lbs of butane through the MKIII again if removing it from the tank and the recovering back into the same tank?

Been wondering about this then I found this thread a few minutes ago...

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Gray Wolf here in this thread you mention one can re run their butane once they have loaded it into the recovery tank.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=270939

How does one re distill the butane in the recovery tank?
Can the same recovery tank be used to do this cycle over?

Does one just reinject the butane through valve 4 into the tank?
How does one get all 10+lbs of butane through the MKIII again if removing it from the tank and the recovering back into the same tank?

Been wondering about this then I found this thread a few minutes ago...

You need a clean tank to recover it into.

Obsidian

Veteran
when bleeding air into the system, what is the safest way to do this without introducing moisture to the oil?

would opening the top of the column first, very slowly allowing atmosphere to enter, going through the spent weed to absorb whatever moisture enters the system?

or is there another way to do this that I haven't read about yet?

something similar to the filter like the Shatter Vacs have on the manifold?

right now I'm running small 6" test columns of leaf to get to know how this work is happening with the Terp.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
when bleeding air into the system, what is the safest way to do this without introducing moisture to the oil?

would opening the top of the column first, very slowly allowing atmosphere to enter, going through the spent weed to absorb whatever moisture enters the system?

or is there another way to do this that I haven't read about yet?

something similar to the filter like the Shatter Vacs have on the manifold?

right now I'm running small 6" test columns of leaf to get to know how this work is happening with the Terp.

We back fill with N2.

Obsidian

Veteran
damn, so much condensation on everything, guess that's the drawback of being in the PNW and working in a open barn.