What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rogue Valley MKIII

Obsidian

Veteran
The moment I bitch about something the new compound guage appears through ups, and the vacuum is holding at -29 for now.
we'll see in a few hours.

northstate

ICMag Donor
Looks like that is a flex hose on your new unit so you could take the tube out of the equation and pressurize it up to 110psi with air, and dunk it in a tub then look for bubbles to see where your problem is. The pipe fittings may need to be rewrapped with yellow tape sometimes and don't over tighten the fittings on the stainless. Good luck!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
back from the shop, and it's at -15.
errr...

What NS said. I would pressure test it at 100 psi in a barrel of water, before trying to find a vacuum leak.

Easier with bubbles, unless you have the proper helium leak detector equipment on hand.

We used to find rough leaks in vacuum furnaces and heat treat ovens, by spraying acetone at possible leak sites, and watching the vacuum gauge. A steady state leak will show a sudden rise in micron level, when the acetone is drawn into the chamber and volatilized by the vacuum.

We fine tuned them by spraying helium at possible leak sites and analyzing the pump exhaust for helium.

PS: Operate your dump valve under pressure, while submerged, and look for bubbles at the valve stems.

Obsidian

Veteran
Looks like that is a flex hose on your new unit so you could take the tube out of the equation and pressurize it up to 110psi with air, and dunk it in a tub then look for bubbles to see where your problem is. The pipe fittings may need to be rewrapped with yellow tape sometimes and don't over tighten the fittings on the stainless. Good luck!

are you saying the stainless wire wrap hose should be replaced with the solid tubing?

Obsidian

Veteran
all right, pressure testing reveals 2 leaks,

the 3/8 ball valve joining the tee leaking lots of bubbles.
and the top tri clamp cap where the male npt/flange joins the cap is one bubble every 5 sec.

Obsidian

Veteran
pressure tested - 3hrs @ 105lbs
no bubbles completely submerged.

vacuum testing now, holding @ -29 / -30 Hg

Heusinomics

Stellar assembly and setup so far.

Glad to b reading along.
Please let us know how your process continues.
And well b excited to see your results.

Best of luck
BIG ups respect and happy growing.

gholladay

You know glacier is all from china right?? Same with the other place your posted. Sorry to say you just bought ALL china metal lol. If you didnt want that then Ironfist or ETS are ones that are USA billet made parts.

China SS is just fine man, you've been misinformed by old wise tails.
agreed here. I've used Chinese sourced materials for a long time and rarely run into problems. They may have lesser quality metals, but they are still suited well for our application. Just make sure you pressure test to 100 PSI and confirm all your parts before you start extracting! And don't forget your safety glasses at that part!

GH

gholladay

man, sourcing the small parts for this has been a pain in the fucking ass.
still waiting on a few things, the compound gauge I received was a piece of plastic junk that was worthless in keeping correct pressure, just glad there was a immediate response to replace it, finding fittings etc
now my n-butane delivery and the stainless braided hoses have been set back a week due to weather, holiday season sucks for package delivery.
Obsidian,

I have a very extensive purchase list from my first MKiii project. It has all the ancillary items (and purchasing sources) you'll need to operate and post process at home. I would gladly upload it here and share with everyone, but I don't know how to upload an excel sheet to IC Mag (help a bro out if you know how!). you can email me at gholladay@igadiltd.com and I'll send it to you!

GH

Obsidian

Veteran
1st pressure test...passed
1st vacuum test...passed
2nd pressure test passed
2nd vacuum test passed

I need a few hose fittings an the n-butane then it's all ready to go...

jpdnkstr

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, not sure why you would put it in someone's personal CLS build thread........

@Obsidian Good luck with your build, I've been there done that, and it can be quite frustrating and exhilarating at the same time!

@EastCoast710 Enjoy your Rosin!

Obsidian

Veteran
should I plan on adding a column heat jacket of some type?
I read about this for bigger units, but have not found a direct answer as to whether a MKIII would need column heat or not.

My unit is upgraded to do bottom floods and showers, and I will be doing 200g-250g runs in a 36" column, and multiple runs.

Obsidian

Veteran
almost completed, just waiting on a delivery for some fittings on Thurs
needed 2 - stainless 1/4 male jic x 3/8 fnpt, 1 - 3/8 tube compression x 1/4 male jic, and another 3 hoses

jeez I think I have everything needed now, I laid the parts out and ordered all pieces needed to complete the circuit.

this has been quite a fun build.
I'm just finishing the cps tr21's 50' cooling coil box.

so the next step will be to hook everything up then run a pressure and vacuum test on the complete system with pumps, filters, and coil.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
should I plan on adding a column heat jacket of some type?
I read about this for bigger units, but have not found a direct answer as to whether a MKIII would need column heat or not.

My unit is upgraded to do bottom floods and showers, and I will be doing 200g-250g runs in a 36" column, and multiple runs.

We ran the Mk III with and without column heat. Mostly without.

Obsidian

Veteran
well, it's done, I have a complete MKIII ready to go, quite the investment for this little op. Right now, I'm cleaning out the new 50# recovery tank today. There's all sorts of filings inside this big metal bubble. It was not an easy task securing down to remove the valve, but with a bit of heat, and a few tugs, she popped open real easy.

later on I'm going to clean me up a few lbs of tane, and see how that goes.

I've got that first day of school excited feeling once again inside my heart, man it's been along time since I felt so giddy!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well, it's done, I have a complete MKIII ready to go, quite the investment for this little op. Right now, I'm cleaning out the new 50# recovery tank today. There's all sorts of filings inside this big metal bubble. It was not an easy task securing down to remove the valve, but with a bit of heat, and a few tugs, she popped open real easy.

later on I'm going to clean me up a few lbs of tane, and see how that goes.

I've got that first day of school excited feeling once again inside my heart, man it's been along time since I felt so giddy!

Bon appetite!

Latest posts

Latest posts