What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rockwool Trees

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If rockwool is typically too wet, how come people can achieve such great yields with dwc and rockwool? I run flood and drain and dwc with rockwool i love it. Your awesome yields have me wondering if i overwater my rockwool. In a flood and drain with tables how often would you flood it? As for the dwc i know someone who achieves equivalent yields with rockwool slabs and a simple dwc setup. Thats why i changed the one table over to see the differences in my environment with my nute recipe. Your plants look amazing. Thanks for showing us.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For my flood and drain ive tried hitting them(on a 15 minute timer) once a day up to four times a day in flowering. When vegging i hit them 6 times a day. I was taught one flood for every 4 hours of light in veg and ever 6 in flower. So 6x a day in veg and 2x a day in flower is how i ran it to start. Ive played around with it and i really cant tell but i don't think there was any difference haha. Now im thinking its way too often, they never dry out much at all.

mack 10

Veteran
Killer thread Don.
Can you tell me how the bubba does in your system compared to the others?(I have experience with the cheese and chem)
Thanks and time to get that bulk wool#!
mack.

Edit to add, ah I see you already mentioned on P1 that Bubba did 3 oz...:)

not exactly a massive yielder!

Last edited:
D

DonJuanMatus

-
picture.php

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont have any nute burning issues but i def think they could be watered less in that sense of "if it hasnt dried out the medium in this much time why water again" i have album photos of my setup along with a couple threads. Im thinking i should be watering every 2 days. I run way more plants way less veg time. I love those hoods you have! Mine suck.

medicalmj

Veteran
If rockwool is typically too wet, how come people can achieve such great yields with dwc and rockwool? I run flood and drain and dwc with rockwool i love it. Your awesome yields have me wondering if i overwater my rockwool. In a flood and drain with tables how often would you flood it? As for the dwc i know someone who achieves equivalent yields with rockwool slabs and a simple dwc setup. Thats why i changed the one table over to see the differences in my environment with my nute recipe. Your plants look amazing. Thanks for showing us.

My first hydro set up was a 17 gal tote w holes drilled in lid. Took 3' slabs and cut a little off the end so it'd fit and put cubes on top. I cobbled some hoses together and ran solution continuously. Got 12 oz off em under a 400 watt. No airstone in the res either. Used Europonic A&B bloom with nothing else.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i finally got my new place and am moving over little by little. i cut all my plants down and trimmed for 3 days all alone! lol security is going up and the room is getting prepped. all my equipment came in and my clones are pretty much all rooted.

do you use CO2? i got a burner since my room is 500sq ft and have a nice ac. i have a feeling i will have to feed a bit higher so i will have to experiment with all that as i go. thanks for all your help!

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i was thinking. if you run lower ppm then you really never have to do regular water flush cycles.

did the op mention his cycle for feeding? if it all salt till fulsh, or feed feed flush etc?

med-man

S2B

running lower PPMs would be counter productive when you are growing for yield. Im at week 2 of flower using this system and im at 850ppm. Bumping it up 50ppm per week until week 8 then 2week flush. First time running it so we will see what happens. So far its kicking ass...ill never have more than 20 plants in my house again! lol

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DonJuan, i took your advice. All i did was unplug my pumps and let them chill for a couple days. 3rd day in a row without any water and they're still moist to the touch. I think 3-4 days is long enough even with my huge slabs ha. Anyway, i noticed bright white new root growth and happy ass plants so just wanted to thank you. Ic is an awesome resource. Ive learned i need to cut back my nutes and give my rockwool more time to air out and that has shown improvement in a room with already healthy plants. Thanks again.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my res technically is my runoff since it recirculates so after i flood them i just measure whats in the res. They're at a good ppm level right now. I can see how that would happen. And based on your plants and information i was confident to use your advice. Thanks again bro.

DJM is there a reason why you use only the absorbent wool? I mix mine with 25% non-absorbent, 1 feeding every 24hrs, working great!

cyat

Veteran
soaked for 48 hrs maybe a little more at ph 3 ish... afterwards ph is right at 6..

thanks don juan.. carlos :)

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Happy plants! ;)

Been using the wrapped 1.5" cubes for decades on clones. 100% damn near everytime.

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
do you guys mean builders rockwool? as a non-absorbent? or like another medium?

med-man