What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rockwool Trees

Desert Hydro

Veteran
so what i figured out for the drippers is simply take the 1/4" tubing with a T and make a circle with it. i then took my dremel and cut off wheel and made 4 equally spaced little cuts in the tubing where the nutrients can drip out of. i figure 4 points should be enough to equally disperse the nutrients in a 5 gal bucket.

the dremel idea seemed much better and faster than trying to poke a bunch of tiny little holes with a sharp object in 12 different rings lol

N

noyd666

i made it! i just got back from my 6 hour round trip to the grow store!! lol. how pathetic is that? haha. im eager as hell to get this up and running. i bought 25' of 3/4 tubing, drip barbs, 2 more vert bare bulb sockets with cords, 2 BIG ASS bales of rockwool weighing 45 lb each and some other random things. the people at the shop were cool and told me to let em know how i do with the bulk wool. they are gonna get some feedback for sure haha. tonight i am headed to lowes to get my 1/4 drip tubing and t's to make my rings.

i wanna be the first person on the band wagon! wooo :)

i was thinking about putting the bulk wool in my flood and drain buckets but it would cause a salt buildup up top that would have to be flushed out weekly i think. other than that i dont see any reason why it wouldnt kick some ass. drip clean is your friend

......back from lowes and now im DIY'ing the dripper rings as we speak. i'll have a thread up in no time
:biggrin: desert hydro theres a fella called al b fuct on another mag has been doing flood and drain, four tables twenty two pots a table, but has used bulk floc for years, hes still about.

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sik man. i just thought i would mention it :) didnt know how long you were sticking here for,

med-man

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i could always put more holes with the dremel. they are fast and easy. since its 1/4 in tubing the hole puncher wouldnt work on it :( i really didnt wanna have to poke 40 holes in 12 drip rings lol. thats 480 holes.

funny story about sharp objects....i was trimming with my fiskars and my wife asked me to help her with a homework problem so i leaned in to look and she swung her arm around to point out the problem and impaled her wrist! blood was squirting all over. thats why they come with those orange tip protectors haha

ok, im gonna go make more holes now. bye

whatthe215

Veteran
that is absolutely beautiful DJM...

thank you for giving back to the community and having such detailed responses. this is on track to be one of those legendary threads.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for that in depth answer DJM, you have certainly put in hard work on this room and thought it out very very well, and the results show for your efforts!!

one other question:
how is the rooms environment controlled? do you use AC unit(s), or air exchange?
(once again, sorry if u already went over this a page or 2 back)

killin it DJM.... bigups 2 u.
got me scheming on some rockwool grow methods.....

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if the flockwool stays semi wet, salt build up shouldnt be an issue with the cureent optimal ppm / ec used,

med-man

Desert Hydro

Veteran
he feeds rather conservatively i think and that would help with the salt build up. plus feeding to 15% runoff helps make sure it is properly flushed out too i would think.

i am planning on using jacks/calnit per delta9nxs's recipe @ 1.2EC total. if they need more i will alter it but i figure feed less more often to help keep everything flushed proper

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i got my jacks in the mail today. only problem is they sent me the wrong one! they sent me damn violet mix and they arent answering their damn phones. dumbasses. it was off of ebay from another retailer. my invoice says the right one but someone goofed and deserves a slap

Desert Hydro

Veteran
cant wait for the next grow you put up. i keep getting more shit in the mail and the anticipation is killing me. my CO2 genny just showed up. still waiting on a few more things but the space is supposed to be move in ready in a few days.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for that info DJM, sounds remarkably similar to what i do here in CO to cool my rooms; lots of air exchange.

Crushing it! I might need to give this a shot! Only downside would be the veg time but the stem numbers being on the low side make up for that I guess.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
hey DJM, my clones should be rooted any day now. should i pot straight to 5 gal buckets and let her rip or go from small to big? i still have all my bales in my little car since i thought i would be able to get into my new spot by now lol. should be any day so im just leaving em in there haha

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
avanish - no worries, glad to help

netprophet - thank you, long veg isnt an issue if you work it into the equation, i get a 4k harvest the first of every month, the long veg has no down sides in this situation

desert hydro - what are the cuts rooted in? if the cuts are in plugs, i would put them in 4inch cubes for a few weeks and then into the 5 gal..ive gone straight into a 5gal of wool from a rooted plug and did ok but i prefer to have the 4 inch cube as the starting point..an established 4 inch will also take to the wool much quicker and more effective than going from plug to bulk wool...also, when you transplant..after the wool is flushed and in final pots, let it sit there overnight or so..this allows the wool to loose some moisture so when you xplant the roots can start to spread out in search for water instead of being thrown in soaking rockwool and not having to search for anything..this makes the plants root system colonize the medium much faster than if you put it in soaking wet rockwool right after flushing...transplanting into a medium thats semi dry and semi wet is the best way to stimulate your root system to spread out, i do that in every medium i grow in, whether organic soil or rockwool

I fucking love you DJM - that semi wet rockwool trick, now thats some smart clever experience that you just freely shared with the world. I fucking love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I know why my girls took so long to fully root the cubes...

Sure am jealous of that cooling system, but not of those negative temps, thats disgusting lol. But living in nature with mother earth is rewarding and I envy your luxury of living with nature. I'm stuck in a concrete jungle.

Once again Thanks so much for all the love you give to us. I appreciate the time you took to share all the awesome knowledge you have with us.

:respect:

Latest posts

Latest posts