What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Road kill skunk, the real skunk

Cactus Squatter

I've read that it could have Mexican genetics in it, and no one in the USA buys that anymore.
A lot of the old Mexican stuff I used to get in the 90s had some insane skunk funk to it. There was a sweet and pretty smelling Mexican we got, and then there was the skunk Mexican.

I currently have a Mountain Gold from Green Mountain Seeds just starting to flower that is super skunky.

Hmong

Veteran
@linde there you go! I fully understand! especially in a saturated marked, like US you gotta be on the hunt for those gems. With that money involved, you just have to expect all kinds of shady shit.
It's a bit easier in Europe, where prohibition still holds a strong community together.

and then there was the skunk Mexican
Oloro

linde

it's funny how people shrug off the roadkill skunk and other classic strains and say there were no special terps and this and that. well i can tell u first hand that these strains did in fact exist and they were better than any of the cookies or whatever glamour weed is going around today. those people just never had a chance to experience it or more than likely it was before their time.. unfortunately nothing good ever lasts. but these millennial kids know everything don't they? I will never stop searching.

Hmong

Veteran
but these millennial kids know everything don't they?
I was born just at the end of the Skunk era, so I'm guilty too^
most veterans say, that it had disappeared after '87 and that the best was around '80-83

that's why I've been collecting and growing mostly heirlooms since starting the hobby.
going somewhat back in time, I can see there is definitely truth behind those stories.
Haven't been growing modern stuff in years, but loving stuff that goes back as far as '72

linde

here in northern Michigan the real skunk was around til about 93-94 then fell off the face of the earth along with the good pine bud. just about the time the kushes and diesels started showing up. after that everything turned fruity. no sharp pine or skunk. a buddy of mine works in insurance and travels the country regularly. he's hit dispensers from Maine thru Michigan and Colorado and all up the west coast...plus went to Amserdam 3 times. never one time has he found anything that smelled or tasted like the dope we smoked in high school in late 80s. Its bred into oblivion. recessive traits that got lost in careless breeding practices. what a shame.

Mimpi Manis

Same as with rare breeds of poultry, fruit varieties, veges etc etc etc. Human apathy... carelessness? I still have my 40 plus year IBL. Originally started with Sumatran genetics. It was for a few years legendary. Extraordinary when I think about it. Mostly selected for fast flowering and structure. Just thought the high was guaranteed I guess? But slowly lost that amazing chemistry somewhere. But still a nice little plant which I have kept going for it's other talents. And for reasons mentioned above. Maybe we thought great stuff from Asia like that would always be around? If we thought at all. Breeding and growing out stuff was in the hobby realm. Christ... saw some bloody big plants. Still heading in June! Caravans in July... full of fans, heaters and attentive dedicated Hippies! All we knew was the bag seed came from Asian plants grown by farming experts (for centuries seems likely in SE Asia) and might grow some good free pot. Lifted my game since then... and still dare to dream. There's some interesting and articulate dudes in these woods. Always a good read somewhere. Adios for now amigos.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Maybe the smell you're all looking for is not there anymore because the grow methods changed. What I mean is you can have the same genetic produce different results depending of the grow conditions. I had one experience once with a plant who gave very different smells and taste depending on how I grew it. It was a Jilly Bean female I made in 09, first I grew it indoor with BioBizz line and soil, the buds were very pungent, an agressive bad smell mix with a strong orange smell. I had some clones and grew one outdoor straight in the ground in a place where cows were kept for decades so the soil was extremely rich, the buds I had from this plant had not at all the same smell than the indoor version this time it was a strong diesel smell, very agressive. I was amazed by how different the buds were with the same genetics in different growing environments.
Maybe in the 80's a lot more growers were growing outdoor in the ground so they had different expressions of the plants.

rolandomota

Veteran
Bro I get it spending 200 for some bullshit hyped weak ass genetics is ridiculous. Especially if you breed with said crap and you end up with no high weed. I'm talking about new berry some true bullshit in my experience.
I just hate buying seeds over and over its happening with freakshow and supafreak to me I have spent 1000 on them and don't have shit to show yet anyway what are we talking about?....

Skunk that's the topic here I can't afford those old School genetics skunk at the moment or ever its a 200$ strain the time I bought new berry I had money from not being able to buy anything to smoke for 2 months.... never again next time I will wait for the bricks

I can maybe do a lucky 13 rks cross its more affordable 🤔
That damn freeze with its no resin buds am I right? Mine was from h depot I like to think I didn't get what I ordered

Last edited:

Greatdalas

Bro I get it spending 200 for some bullshit hyped weak ass genetics is ridiculous. Especially if you breed with said crap and you end up with no high weed. I'm talking about new berry some true bullshit in my experience.
I just hate buying seeds over and over its happening with freakshow and supafreak to me I have spent 1000 on them and don't have shit to show yet anyway what are we talking about?....

Skunk that's the topic here I can't afford those old School genetics skunk at the moment or ever its a 200$ strain the time I bought new berry I had money from not being able to buy anything to smoke for 2 months.... never again next time I will wait for the bricks

I can maybe do a lucky 13 rks cross its more affordable 🤔
That damn freeze with its no resin buds am I right? Mine was from h depot I like to think I didn't get what I ordered

The same hapens to me with old World genetics New berry first light and other I can remember now, un estable in sex, without resin and smell, deforme plants,.......
I tryed romulan and 1985 skunk of Lucky 13 sadly romulan very endogamic and lost the strong pine taste only smell a little pinne.
1985skunk its the sweet citrus skunk no the stinky skunk, and sadly all plants of 1985 skunk makes me some late nanners.

led05

Chasing The Present
F7FB596F-6309-4A94-8173-0E8B108749B9.jpeg

A2D94654-CB41-43D3-8FEB-A4A8263DD355.jpeg

133A7C38-793F-4725-8E13-D66AF0518540.jpeg

C71E31E9-487C-477F-9B0C-F5229682F355.jpeg

led05

Chasing The Present
Left plant early 90’s seed - EP/Sk x Sk

786CBADD-C294-4099-A1D6-9B5A7BBAF272.jpeg

FBC49A12-95F7-4E9F-A12B-841D10C31F3B.jpeg

A2BE121A-191A-40DE-89AD-A37ABB3F0D87.jpeg

5582C729-53F2-4463-BB42-E1177DCF4DB6.jpeg

314AF4AD-D242-41AD-94E6-734B5EBF8956.jpeg

3AF605AC-AD5C-4701-B041-FC5A80882BD7.jpeg

I don’t expect it to smell similar to what I remember seeing growing in 1990; but it looks very much like it and smells like it did in veg too, beautiful plant either way and I’ve done nothing but let it grow itself…

led05

Chasing The Present
^^ TY for recommendation - I generally take cuts normally end flower when I’ve got more info, success rates are nearly identical just takes more patience …

But; this isn’t gonna be RKS imo, it’s a beautiful plant and is lovely but just isn’t gonna be a full blown stinker…

If anyone interested in watching her finish I started a thread under diaries iirc - something about sun on my back

D3719582-7700-4FB7-8475-1508921FE34C.jpeg

C51934A2-60D8-4628-9BF9-0C06757F15D5.jpeg

But since not RKS I’ll refrain from further posting her here…. Now that I know

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
OLD SCHOOL SKUNK (F1 test seeds by @oldschoolgenetics Oldman Green i can't wait to smoke this, the most strong smell in my garden, the most stinky, the filter is working hard and it still smells a bit on the street hehe.
I can't wait to smoke this.
This is one of the phenotypes that i can found, tomorrow more phenotypes
View attachment 17880146 View attachment 17880145 View attachment 17880144 View attachment 17880143 View attachment 17880142 View attachment 17880141 View attachment 17880140 View attachment 17880139
I was told by a good friend . That @oldschoolgenetics is the company to get seeds from. If youre after that old school skunk funk.

There was also a member on here. Carried on for quite some time about having RKS seeds. He was supposed to be making seeds for the masses. He's been posting lately. So let's see if my post can draw him out. Come on pal.....I know you must be reading this. Where are the RKS seeds ?

I recently found a real candidate for RKS in some Blue Star S1 (Deathstar x Blueberry). Smells just like skunk spray. Smaller nugs, deep green color. I'll get some pics up. She's at 6.5 weeks into flower.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts