What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RHODE ISLAND poised to become 11th Medical Marijuana State

G

Pray/chant or what ever you do - we need this win

Historic Veto Override Would Create First New Medical Marijuana Law, Since June Supreme Court Ruling;

PROVIDENCE, RHODE ISLAND -- Setting up a decision of potentially historic importance, Rhode Island legislative leaders have reportedly scheduled a vote to override Gov. Donald Carcieri's veto of medical marijuana legislation for Tuesday, January 3. If the override succeeds, it will make the Rhode Island the first state to enact medical marijuana legislation since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled last June that state medical marijuana laws do not provide protection from federal prosecution.

Last June, the Rhode Island House and Senate approved the Marijuana Policy Project's medical marijuana bill by wide margins, but Gov. Carcieri vetoed the measure. The Senate quickly overrode the veto, but the House recessed without taking action. The vote is now expected to be on Tuesday, Jan. 3, at approximately 2:00 p.m.

MPP

Last edited:

KingRalph

best of luck to all RI patients! rootin for yas

it's actually kind of good what the supreme court ruled, in a way. it has finally pushed the subject beyond just mmj and into a concern of overbearing power/authority by the feds over states, and that's something no state legislators wants, so it is helping push the movement and gain support more easily. it's always been a matter of this, but it takes big public things to illustrate to people what's really going on. i'm glad the spotlight has widened. now hopefully my corrupt and defiant-to-voters state will pick up the ball too :bat: peace n green thumbs all ya RI'ers, ya have some good head shops that're only gonna get better now ;)

guineapig

Veteran
praying praying praying praying
Rhode Island Rhode Island Rhode Island Rhode Island

Please if you pass this bill i swear i will never make fun of how small you are ever again.......This bill is too important so please please override the veto.....

Why do i have to be a criminal to take a medicine which should be legally prescribed?

-gp

G

Providence, R.I. -- If, as expected, the House of Representatives votes Today to override the governor's veto of medical marijuana legislation it will represent a victory of compassion over intimidation.
The legislation seeks to provide some relief to people with debilitating diseases - cancer patients experiencing unspeakable pain, AIDS patients wasting away because they can't eat, those with multiple sclerosis who suffer from violent muscle spasms that prevent them from any type of normal existence.

But those who oppose the legislation continue to use bullying scare tactics to undermine the effort, evidenced by a radio ad aired last week on several Rhode Island radio stations. Sponsored by a group calling itself "Save Our Society From Drugs," the ad praises Gov. Donald L. Carcieri for his veto of legislation they say "would have legalized marijuana in Rhode Island." The ad goes on to say the issue of medical marijuana was "a Trojan horse" for legalization and "for making it available without regard to medical science."

Of course, it does no such thing. Patients would need a doctor to prescribe marijuana for their disease. The state Department of Health would review that prescription before issuing identification cards to the patient and two caregivers, who would be able to help the patient procure marijuana.

Medical science? How does that jibe with the fact that a parade of doctors and medical groups testified in favor of the legislation last year?

On its Web site, the group also makes urgent pleas for people to voice their opposition to the bill to "keep Rhode Island's children safe from this dangerous drug." Although data is hard to crunch, the evidence seems to suggest that in states that have enacted medical marijuana laws, marijuana use among young people has gone down.

For instance, data from a biennial survey by the California Attorney General's office of drug use by young people in the Golden State, indicates that drug use among ninth-graders has gone down by 47 percent since the state became the first to enact a medical marijuana law in 1996. Other states have experienced similar decreases in youth marijuana smoking since enacting medical marijuana statutes.

Here's the bottom line: The intent of the legislation is clear, to help those in dire need. Even opponents of the legislation say marijuana is readily available now. If that's the case, anyone who now wants to indulge can do so without too much trouble. So how exactly does allowing those with debilitating illnesses access to marijuana increase their chances of getting it?

Opponents will say if it were in the house children would have easy access to it. Well, how is that any different than if that same patient were prescribed some other serious pain reliever for their symptoms? Would not the children in that house also have easier access to those much more dangerous substances?

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of someone healthy trying to get a prescription for medical marijuana and undergoing the subsequent scrutiny when they can get it easily now. Will there be abuse? I'm sure there will be attempts. Man has not devised a system yet that is abuse free.

But it all comes back to the intent. I would only ask opponents one question. If it was your wife or husband or mother or father or son or daughter who was in the throes of unimaginable pain would you deny them a substance that could ease that suffering? A "yes" answer to that says more about you than it does about your opinion.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Done deal. Too bad RI is so small that no one else can occupy it.

Rhode Island Legalizes Medical Marijuana By M.L. JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer
55 minutes ago

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Rhode Island on Tuesday became the 11th state to legalize medical marijuana and the first since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June that patients who use the drug can still be prosecuted under federal law.

The House overrode a veto by Gov. Don Carcieri, 59-13, allowing people with illnesses such as cancer and AIDS to grow up to 12 marijuana plants or buy 2.5 ounces of marijuana to relieve their symptoms. Those who do are required to register with the state and get an identification card.

Federal law prohibits any use of marijuana, but Maine, Vermont, Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Montana, Nevada, Oregon and Washington allow it to be grown and used for medicinal purposes.

The U.S. high court ruled June 6 that people who smoke marijuana because their doctors recommend it can still be prosecuted under federal drug laws, even if their states allow it.

Federal authorities, however, have conceded they are unlikely to prosecute many medicinal marijuana users.

"I'm sure everybody in this room knows at least one person who would have benefited from medical marijuana," Rep. Thomas Slater, who has cancer, told fellow lawmakers before the vote. Slater said he doesn't use marijuana now but it could become part of his treatment in the future

G

Very glad to hear it pass for all those med users in RI.

And somewhat close to RI I'm pretty happy as well heh.

Last edited:

Tandare

Wow this is another step forwards.
If enough states legalize MJ for medical use.The federal goverment someday must take a look at its unjust laws of MJ to persecute people for the use of a drug helping them is a crime.
Tandare

G

Wooooooooooohoooooooooo

Wooooooooooohoooooooooo

YEAH!!!! RHODE ISLAND AND THE MEDICAL CANNABIS COMMUNITY IS CELEBRATING!!!
That's it, if you live in the U.S. keep it real. Educate people, don't let people poke fun at you for using your medicine! Stand up for the cause, it's on it's way, pretty soon, the Federal Governmules won't be able to hold us back.
By treating it as a medecine, like it deserves to, we will get it legalized.
More power to all you who stand up against the fear this corrupt leadership is trying to instill....grow hard in 06!!!!
Medical Cannabis is where freedom lies...

mpro

hurray state with the best initials.

Of course we want all cannabis to be legal, not just medicinal.

colorado is collecting names to put denvers initiative as a state initiative. (1oz over 21)

G

Of course we want all cannabis to be legal, not just medicinal.

That's my point, all Cannabis is medicinal....over the counter baby

Last edited:
G

Cowabudza said:
That's my point, all Cannabis is medicinal....over the counter baby

sadly, by us saying things such as this. is just a reason to the govt as why not to make weed medicinal, because its a excuse to legalize it. :confused: