What's new

Revival of the Ultimate Sativa Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

burningfire

Veteran
I'm not familiar with Healthy Start but from my research it seems like a lot of fertilizers and quite high in Nitrogen for such a small pot/plant, pot plant, plant pot....

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I'm not familiar with Healthy Start but from my research it seems like a lot of fertilizers and quite high in Nitrogen for such a small pot/plant, pot plant, plant pot....

Greetings,

My two cents:

Some strains become hermaphrodites at the slightest hint of stress. Frankly, growing indoors is an unnatural stress on its own. Some just throw male pollen anyway. What does it matter if you love the smoke. You just may find that those seeds that annoy you turn out to be a god-send someday.

If you love the weed for its high, share the seeds. Everything else is fluff.
:biggrin:

ThaiBliss

P.S. - See my signature:

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
I´ve gave them rain water for the first 4 weeks (i´ve added a 21gr Healthy Start tab to the soil) , and a light nutes solution of CannaBioFlores for the the next 2weeks and since then only plain water was given.
Thanks for the input.

So the plants get straight water and a slow release tab as they transition and bud, then get juiced from week 4 till week 6 and get nothing for the remaining 6-10 weeks? That's an awful long time to go without nutrients - especially in such a small container with an established plant. Odds are you're pushing too hard when you do fert them and then they're running out of nutrients later on.

Try a much lighter regiment of fertilizers, continually dosed throughout flower. I used to flush my plants, then I started tapering nutes, and now I've stopped flushing all together. I've found very light application of organic nutes in organic soil have steadily produced buds without any discernible tastes or hints that they haven't been flushed.

Possible sources of hermies if you think the nutes are on:
Light leaks
Bulbs need replacement
Daylight / Night hours interrupted or not steady throughout flower
High temps
Small containers sometimes lead to being rootbound

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Thank you guys!

Thank you guys!

You might be right in here. The tablets might have been too strong for the sativas but i´m more inclined to rootbound, heat issues and very poor air circulation.

Greetings,

My two cents:

Some strains become hermaphrodites at the slightest hint of stress. Frankly, growing indoors is an unnatural stress on its own. Some just throw male pollen anyway. What does it matter if you love the smoke. You just may find that those seeds that annoy you turn out to be a god-send someday.
If you love the weed for its high, share the seeds. Everything else is fluff.
:biggrin:
ThaiBliss
P.S. - See my signature:

Matters nothing to me my friend. It´s more the case of understanding what´s going on and learning a few things while at it.
Yesterday i was looking at my notes and something written in bold red fonts said "Repot the sativas on the 1th of May"...Sadly i never did that. At the time i was only worried with budrot signs on them and totally forgot about the potting-up. My bad, as usual:biggrin:

So the plants get straight water and a slow release tab as they transition and bud, then get juiced from week 4 till week 6 and get nothing for the remaining 6-10 weeks? That's an awful long time to go without nutrients - especially in such a small container with an established plant. Odds are you're pushing too hard when you do fert them and then they're running out of nutrients later on.

Try a much lighter regiment of fertilizers, continually dosed throughout flower. I used to flush my plants, then I started tapering nutes, and now I've stopped flushing all together. I've found very light application of organic nutes in organic soil have steadily produced buds without any discernible tastes or hints that they haven't been flushed.

Possible sources of hermies if you think the nutes are on:
Light leaks
Bulbs need replacement
Daylight / Night hours interrupted or not steady throughout flower
High temps
Small containers sometimes lead to being rootbound

Many thanks for your thoughts and comments.
I´m not sure about the low nutes, they keep the dark green colour even on the bottom leaves and tip burn is present in all fan leaves.

My goal is also good soil with minimum use of organic nutes and believe me when i tell you that i have a very light hand when comes to nutes/additives. Less is more in my book.

Anyway, plenty of food for thought and i´m most thankful for all the educated input. Bless up!

Sharing is caring:ying:

R

recent guest

Hello sativa lovers.
I got a question and all info/comments/experiences are most welcome.
It´s all about minimizing male nanas on late flowering sativas.
I know about the light penetration issues, over watering and over ferts but even with these factors dealt with, most of my sativas keep throwing the odd nana after the 10th week of flowering. Any suggestions?
I have plenty of head room, 2K of lights and i grow on dirt with the less possible nutes/additives.
Couple of shots to make things prettier
GoldenTiger#1 entering week 12
View Image

View Image

On this specific girl, the one with male nanas&pistil on the fan leaves, now the male nanas ten to show up on the inner parts of the side buds making it very hard to detect.
I´m a bit gutted with all the free feminized seeds that i´ll have to pick out from my buds.

I get nanners now and then too, but I have found that incrementally decreasing the light from 12/12 to ~8/16 usually helps when possible indoors.

ps Golden Tiger what am I waiting for????

Last edited:

paulo73

Veteran
Thanks BR.
If things were done properly, i would have flowered the sativas starting on 11/13 and gradually decreasing it 15mins per week. But because i run many strains at once that wasn´t doable.
When do you start decreasing the light cycle, if i can ask? As soon as you flip them?
Thanks for your comments.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
just try as much as u can i guess to a tropical season paulo ,
they flower when the hours are declining ,
they never get 18 hrs ,
and will be sensitive to any difference in day hours , minutes mean a lot ...

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
Paulo73 are those feminized GT seeds?

I used a male GT on a chocolope female and the seed plants grew females with nanners everywhere in the flowers. I chalked it up to the chocolope because I hadn't had any nanners in the regular GT females. Now after seeing that you may have problems I question if it may have been the GT male giving off the nanners. I didn't pollinate anything else or I may have had my answer.

R

recent guest

they never get 18 hrs ,

yeah that

Thanks BR.
If things were done properly, i would have flowered the sativas starting on 11/13 and gradually decreasing it 15mins per week. But because i run many strains at once that wasn´t doable.
When do you start decreasing the light cycle, if i can ask? As soon as you flip them?
Thanks for your comments.

Well, I like D.M. 's reply above, but basically the best possible would be decreasing by approximately one minute per day. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but after the equinox, this is what happens naturally (im not 100% positive that it isn't more or less dramatic near the equator because of the curvature of the earth?)

Failing that, and there would be NO WAY my timer could handle a change that exact, I have had good results doing something like you suggest, about 15 min a week, but not right away, in the last half-third of flowering.

Madjag

Veteran
Greetings,

Some strains become hermaphrodites at the slightest hint of stress. Frankly, growing indoors is an unnatural stress on its own.

ThaiBliss

I agree with ThaiBliss.

I have never had issues with hermies outdoors except once when I was pushing a Colombian strain into November.

Grow Outside.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Hello sativa lovers.
I got a question and all info/comments/experiences are most welcome.
It´s all about minimizing male nanas on late flowering sativas.
I know about the light penetration issues, over watering and over ferts but even with these factors dealt with, most of my sativas keep throwing the odd nana after the 10th week of flowering. Any suggestions?
I have plenty of head room, 2K of lights and i grow on dirt with the less possible nutes/additives.
Couple of shots to make things prettier
GoldenTiger#1 entering week 12
View Image

View Image

On this specific girl, the one with male nanas&pistil on the fan leaves, now the male nanas ten to show up on the inner parts of the side buds making it very hard to detect.
I´m a bit gutted with all the free feminized seeds that i´ll have to pick out from my buds.
Glutted with Fem seeds?

That's a problem most of us could/would appreciate......let them dry and store them in the 'deep freezer'.

My crystal ball tells me that sometime in the future, you will appreciate the 'foresight'. :biggrin:

Manicure well (to avoid popping seeds), and smoke the heck out of her! lol

blan-k-flor

Veteran
Thunk

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

:wave:

bigherb

Veteran
Always a pleasure bigherb. Yes I can see what you're saying and definitely agree on some similarities there. Particularly interesting what Sam described about the stickiness of the Burning Bush and the very thin buds that looked like shit. The Laos Border Thai has the stickiest buds I've come across, and they look average at best, just long clumps of sticky calyxes.
View Image

Wish Sam would release His Thunk minus the skunk, ya know?

If you look closely you might see a seed there, that's from some Colombian Mangobiche pollen. I'm excited because the Colombian (unlike the Thai) has an incredible structure that produces xmas tree branches of long fat colas, and the smoke is strong and longlasting. It's very reminiscent of haze to me, in structure and high, but definitely on the tropical fruit side of the spectrum. Anyway the combination of Colombian and Thai has some prior history of success, but the hybrid vigor should be something extraordinary.

This plant had a 20+ week Thai mother with wispy flowers. Only 6-8 weeks into flower here...didn't take much to pollen chuck the wispyness out (actually didn't take anything)...
View Image
View Image

Let me know if you want to stir that NH pot again with some Thai78 in it. Pretty sure the flowering times won't be too different. Thing is, I won't get a chance to grow them for a long time with all the nuevo old school strains flying around.
:tiphat:

Bushy

Curious how the Thai smokes ,any Hazy qualities ? Anything like the thai youyve smoked in the past an if soo what does it resemble ?

Id love to see Sams Release a few things .But yes that Thai Haze would be a gift ,Im sure the breeding potential would be off the charts an the progeny A +

Id like too see an hear more of your magobiche experience after harvest .The haze comparison is interesting .I would love too see you grow out Punto rojo .I think this is a Gem you could bring out the best in .Ive seen some amazing pics at another site

Nice Cross brother
I hope you get lots of seeds ,I think you will find some special phenos in that Thai x Lumbo

Much Respect

1luvbigherb

Betterhaff

Veteran
Well, I like D.M. 's reply above, but basically the best possible would be decreasing by approximately one minute per day. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but after the equinox, this is what happens naturally (im not 100% positive that it isn't more or less dramatic near the equator because of the curvature of the earth?)

The shortening of days starts off slowly from the solstice and then accelerates as the months get closer to the equinox. The day length hovers about the same a week or 2 before and after the solstice and then starts to drop by about a minute a day. In August it will be 2 to 3 minutes a day. At least that’s what happens here at around 40N.

paulo73

Veteran
Thank you very much.

Thank you very much.

they never get 18 hrs ,

Thank you Sir! So much to learn so little time:biggrin:

Paulo73 are those feminized GT seeds?

I used a male GT on a chocolope female and the seed plants grew females with nanners everywhere in the flowers. I chalked it up to the chocolope because I hadn't had any nanners in the regular GT females. Now after seeing that you may have problems I question if it may have been the GT male giving off the nanners. I didn't pollinate anything else or I may have had my answer.

They´re regs and i haven´t seen any hermie traits on the GT male that i´m keeping out. Of course that this means nothing, i´m just stating it because you might never know where the hermie traits came from.

yeah that

Failing that, and there would be NO WAY my timer could handle a change that exact, I have had good results doing something like you suggest, about 15 min a week, but not right away, in the last half-third of flowering.

Thanks B_R:tiphat:

Greetings,

Some strains become hermaphrodites at the slightest hint of stress. Frankly, growing indoors is an unnatural stress on its own.

ThaiBliss

I agree with ThaiBliss.

I have never had issues with hermies outdoors except once when I was pushing a Colombian strain into November.

Grow Outside.

Thanks Madjag. I know that you´re too right, sadly that is not my best/safest option, i live surrounded by farmers and around here there´s not that much vacant land that i can use to grow some trees. Using my own land poses a security risk and to top it all Autumns are very wet and Winters wet&cold making pure sativas very hard to finish.
I´ll give it a try anyway but i´m not expecting brilliant results.

Glutted with Fem seeds?

That's a problem most of us could/would appreciate......let them dry and store them in the 'deep freezer'.

My crystal ball tells me that sometime in the future, you will appreciate the 'foresight'. :biggrin:

Manicure well (to avoid popping seeds), and smoke the heck out of her! lol

I´m not that "glutted" but i´m at a stage where i prefer to have more control on what´s going on indoors.
Of course that i´ll pop a few of those beans and share the others freely.
Keep it kind and educated and many doors will be open for you:ying:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i'm sure thunk is an old strain.

isn't is THHxdeepChunk. hence the name Thunk?

i stand corrected
" Original Thai Haze x Skunk #1, otherwise known as Thunk"

B

Bob Green

Nice Thunk pics! I have some of Sams Haze x Skunk freebees im looking forward to!

tjo

life gardener
Veteran
my tree-malawi..she is the bigger tree i ever done indoor!

picture.php

and the bush malawi...

picture.php

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.