What's new

Revival of the Ultimate Sativa Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

recent guest

hey man, yes, BCO is breeders choice Org.
when I wrote this response, I was in a bit of hurry, my bad....
the thing with colombians, is that most of the time, you won´t find winner phenos, you can certainly find good weed, but from my small experience...only 5-10% of the plants will be winners, taking in consideration that you germinate + or - 100 seeds to select from.... 1/2 will be males, out of the 50 remaining probably 30 will present intersex traits .... out of the 20 females remaining, probably 2, or 3 will be top notch female.... plants usually finish within 18+ weeks.... wich is a lot of time considering low numbers of keeper girls....

of course you canb find fenos that finish early, you can find oily fenos, strong fenos..... but its all a selection job....and MOST of colombians I´ve grown, go past 18 weeks..... in ideal conditions, outdoor, subtropical climate.... I imagine, indoor, theese would go to 24...26 weeks to fully ripe, using powerfull lamps.....

same thing with Haze plants, only a small part of the population will be that awsome standout feno.....

Sounds like an aptly named company: BREEDER's Choice. You really need to have the capacity to breed sativa's if you are going to do anything productive with odds like that. Having the capacity to breed sativa's is pretty limited to places that you can do it outdoors or where its legal and you are ready to make a substantial investment in a very large grow space, and time, or course. Thats why I have picked up so much Ace and Cannabiogen gear. They have already put so much work into working sativa genetics like that, and created genetic bottlenecks in populations so that home breeders like me know that making F2's from their seeds does not require such substantial plant numbers. Even if your parent plants are not winners, you know that your grandparent generation was heavily selected. A big thanks to the Spanish breeders.

Sorry, I know Im probably trolling...

Last edited:
R

recent guest

Having the capacity to breed sativa's is pretty limited to places that you can do it outdoors or where its legal and you are ready to make a substantial investment in a very large grow space, and time, or course.

I don't mean to disparage any of the very dedicated growers and breeders who do it underground, there are those who have the grit to make it work, and I have a lot of respect for that. Just saying, in general...

Boscoe

I don't mean to disparage any of the very dedicated growers and breeders who do it underground, there are those who have the grit to make it work, and I have a lot of respect for that. Just saying, in general...

yeah, I get you. There are a lot of breeders who pop up out of nowhere and just cross crosses of crosses and stick silly names to them until I can't be bothered to be interested anymore. There was a time when people worked lines for years and years to develop something special, but now you do see quite a bit of "let's see what happens if I cross Purple Urkel with White Widow! W00T!" and you get no sense of what is supposed to be so special about it beyond the novelty of the parents.

I'm personally interested in companies like Tropical Seeds, who seem to be developing their own lines from landraces and then crossing those, or The Real Seed Company who is doing what I thought the Strain Hunters was going to do: hunting down landraces and selling you seeds from them. (can anyone tell me WTH Strain Hunters IS doing? Selling a new version of Master Kush and crossing amnesia haze with Super Lemon Haze?? WTF is that about??)

There's a company in Spain whose name I embarrassingly can't remember, that I saw doing an interview and they talked about how they were crossing landraces to develop their lines. That just interests me far more than growing out other people's popular crosses of crosses and crossing them some more.

R

recent guest

yeah, I get you. There are a lot of breeders who pop up out of nowhere and just cross crosses of crosses and stick silly names to them until I can't be bothered to be interested anymore. There was a time when people worked lines for years and years to develop something special, but now you do see quite a bit of "let's see what happens if I cross Purple Urkel with White Widow! W00T!" and you get no sense of what is supposed to be so special about it beyond the novelty of the parents.

I'm personally interested in companies like Tropical Seeds, who seem to be developing their own lines from landraces and then crossing those, or The Real Seed Company who is doing what I thought the Strain Hunters was going to do: hunting down landraces and selling you seeds from them. (can anyone tell me WTH Strain Hunters IS doing? Selling a new version of Master Kush and crossing amnesia haze with Super Lemon Haze?? WTF is that about??)

There's a company in Spain whose name I embarrassingly can't remember, that I saw doing an interview and they talked about how they were crossing landraces to develop their lines. That just interests me far more than growing out other people's popular crosses of crosses and crossing them some more.

To be fair though, thats pretty much all home breeders can do, which is what I was saying. It's what I do, and I have seen pretty good results. The difference is that Im not trying to sell you anything :biggrin:

So for example, Ace Malawi x Cannabiogen Destroyer gave me this keeper, selected out of 24 seedlings for vigor, smell, and the leaf shape I liked best, then 3 selected out of 14 females I ended up flowering out, she was the winner and I named her Frost Monster. Pretty silky name, huh? Boy does she do the trick in the morning with some coffee
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

choom

Any likelihood of Frost Monster
or other offerings you've made
available at the bay? Incredible!

choom(0:

satva

Veteran
Thanks crazyfool, BCO's Cranberry Haze, 3 years in the making ~ Colombian Gold/Purple Haze/PCK sounds like an interesting project~ noted 12 weeks (?). Photos look PCK in structure.
24-26 weeks flowering duration would be a big wrong-turn for me.

In the 1970's, before we knew anything about growing, I found one Maui Wowie seed which resulted in a 72 week (18 month) perpetual grow, crazy huh?

8 weeks veg indoor + 24 weeks outdoor to harvest the ten top colas, reveg, then 52 weeks indoor, alternating 12/12 and 16/8 - grow, partial harvest, smoke, grow, partial, harvest, smoke........ the growers bible in the 1970's was 15 pages, cost $0.75 and didn't mention cloning ,<lol> that Maui Wowie was one of the ultimate's I've experienced.

I missed out on a lot of imported Colombian, by smoking homegrown.

Sounds like an aptly named company: BREEDER's Choice. You really need to have the capacity to breed sativa's if you are going to do anything productive with odds like that. Having the capacity to breed sativa's is pretty limited to places that you can do it outdoors or where its legal and you are ready to make a substantial investment in a very large grow space, and time, or course. Thats why I have picked up so much Ace and Cannabiogen gear. They have already put so much work into working sativa genetics like that, and created genetic bottlenecks in populations so that home breeders like me know that making F2's from their seeds does not require such substantial plant numbers. Even if your parent plants are not winners, you know that your grandparent generation was heavily selected. A big thanks to the Spanish breeders.

Sorry, I know Im probably trolling...

hey, I just wrote a big response but closed the window :( .... I agree 100% with you.... I´m not doing propaganda for BCO, but I had the oportunity to grow their seeds, and I also have experience with some other south american sativas, because of where I´m from.... I used to have a cool outdoor space where I was able to grow big plants in significant numbers....good old days! hahaha

I too am a big fan of Dubi and Charlie... and the guys from tropical seeds also ... more breeders sholud folow their leed
I´m doing another project at the moment to prove that gems can be found in paraguayan seeds..... so far I´ve found quite a few nice examples..... I hope security will permit me to share my pics in a while, I think many will be shocke with the results I have been obtaining! ....PS... your frost monster is INSANE....

Thanks crazyfool, BCO's Cranberry Haze, 3 years in the making ~ Colombian Gold/Purple Haze/PCK sounds like an interesting project~ noted 12 weeks (?). Photos look PCK in structure.
24-26 weeks flowering duration would be a big wrong-turn for me.

In the 1970's, before we knew anything about growing, I found one Maui Wowie seed which resulted in a 72 week (18 month) perpetual grow, crazy huh?

8 weeks veg indoor + 24 weeks outdoor to harvest the ten top colas, reveg, then 52 weeks indoor, alternating 12/12 and 16/8 - grow, partial harvest, smoke, grow, partial, harvest, smoke........ the growers bible in the 1970's was 15 pages, cost $0.75 and didn't mention cloning ,<lol> that Maui Wowie was one of the ultimate's I've experienced.

I missed out on a lot of imported Colombian, by smoking homegrown.

I haven´t had the pleasure of smoking hawaiian ganja, rumors are that the vulcanic soil and microclimates produce outstanding ganja....

colombian imports are not what they used to be.... mostly hybrids in colombia nowadays.... unless you know the more remote places witch are not under FARC rules, then you can find true colombian sativas...... but 90% of the weed from colombia is crippy...wich is modern hybrids ...sometimes crossed to lumbo landraces cultivated in high altitude .... Guys don´t wanna wait 20 weeks anymore to see the cash flowm so they cross indicas to shorten the flowering cicle and have multiple harvests throughout the year.... sad, but our pure sativas are with counted days!

Ignatz

Veteran
Oh no... gnats...

@all: TY!

@BR: TY! Yeah, did notice the gnat. Actually made a second pic at the time, gnat only.
Had no intention to post it, but now when they are in vogue...

picture.php

This guy was late to the party, didn't bring all his friends.
I do have a can of whatever-the-name-is to get the larvae.
All in all, minor problem this time.
No offence taken, no offence given, ok?

@TB: TY! I've seen your search for trip-weed. This is nothing like Sumatran. But you'd settle for a floater, right?
A good floater or two is my quest this year. This is maybe in that direction.
Need to investigate further, started a pack of regulars not long ago.
Looking forward to the indepth discussion of 'what is a floater'...
New thread TB? The Search for a Floater?

@SR: TY! I think BR spotted a newbie. Just registered, one digit postcount, growing a strain for the first time.
Small plants in small pots. How can this not be a total rookie first grow? Better tell'em about gnats...
Anyway, thanks for standing up for the forum newbie.

Clone Pf01.
picture.php

picture.php

ZIP POW - The Sound of Love
picture.php

Ignatz

Veteran
@bushweed: I really like your trees. You're one of my fav posters in here. MUCH APPRECIATED! Yeah, cap's and all.

On posting two pic's combined: Nice idea, seen you do it before. If you post them sidebyside, that's how they will show on a full screen browser.
Smaller window will of course put one on top of the other, now with the glitch. Though I had it all figured out (pic1/SHIFT-RETURN/Pic2) but that will not fix both problems.:dunno:

Clone Pf01.
picture.php

lovekush®

Cannapioneer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey sativa lova start bloom for this tree H#19xOTHxParaguay sat.
Triple Haze on my head..

#A
picture.php

#B
picture.php

#C
picture.php

And a Freaky cut from my Panoramix mom

picture.php

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
picture.php

cross i made, unknown indica leaning sativa mom, to unknown super sativa leaning father. so far all plants look like the father with that super stretch. hoping it smokes like the mom, that's what i was after with the cross. trying to reproduce something like the mom.

picture.php

second pheno, grows closer to the mom style.

Madjag

Veteran
Zamabindi = Warlock x (Zamal B x Warlock) x Masibindi (Zamal A x Warlock)

This is definitely the Zamal A phenotypic expression: bushy, tight internodes,
quick branching, and mostly Sativa.....

picture.php

picture.php

Some Sensi Seeds Mexican Sativa from last year, in a 1-2 gallon self-watering pot with the rim cut off for space issues. Smelled like UK Cheese cut I've had.

picture.php

picture.php

T

Terps

I agree that is a nice cola! Hows the flowering time on that girl? I dont know why so many people dis sensi seeds their gear still seems legit to me!

Last edited:
R

recent guest

Oh no... gnats...

@all: TY!

@BR: TY! Yeah, did notice the gnat. Actually made a second pic at the time, gnat only.
Had no intention to post it, but now when they are in vogue...

View Image

This guy was late to the party, didn't bring all his friends.
I do have a can of whatever-the-name-is to get the larvae.
All in all, minor problem this time.
No offence taken, no offence given, ok?

@TB: TY! I've seen your search for trip-weed. This is nothing like Sumatran. But you'd settle for a floater, right?
A good floater or two is my quest this year. This is maybe in that direction.
Need to investigate further, started a pack of regulars not long ago.
Looking forward to the indepth discussion of 'what is a floater'...
New thread TB? The Search for a Floater?

@SR: TY! I think BR spotted a newbie. Just registered, one digit postcount, growing a strain for the first time.
Small plants in small pots. How can this not be a total rookie first grow? Better tell'em about gnats...
Anyway, thanks for standing up for the forum newbie.

Clone Pf01.
View Image
View Image

ZIP POW - The Sound of Love
View Image

Hey man, yeah I meant no offense, and 'newbie' definitely wasn't what I was thinking...I was thinking how amazing your photos were, you may be a 'newbie' on Icmag but you certainly know your way around a grow. There are plenty of growers who are anything but newbies and grow small plants in small pots! I mentioned the gnat knowing that there are probably many many inexperienced growers checking out the thread and information like that can be helpful, I actually thought, 'this guy probably knows this' :tiphat:

Status
Not open for further replies.