What's new

Revival of the Ultimate Sativa Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Well TBH I doubt imports from the islands make up hardly anything, unless perhaps you are on the southern tip of Florida.

But more important. I think the problem is the entire area is such a clusterf-k. "the west" is a very invasive thing and the area is much different now. Mexican used to be local stuff indigenous to the area, torreon, oaxaca, guerro, etc. And those strains all still exist in some degree, but most mexican you see is mixed with all sorts of stuff. Not to say they don't have some amazing things. But most of them have lots of influences, which is not necessarily a bad thing, they have a very diversified gene pool with many possibilities.

All I really mean is the days of finding something clearly identifiable as an island sativa are probably gone. But thats good and bad. Those classics are mostly gone (except in a few private hands), but there is now endless possibilities of sativas acclimating and producing new school mexicans that are every bit as good and often better than what was available 30yrs ago. Look at haze for example (polyhybrid sativa).

It's not that the weed isn't good, it's that now people get pissed off when ten seeds don't produce near clone like results. But in guerilla grow outdoor applications that is not a good thing anyway. Try to buy hardy outdoor varieties for guerilla growing the south available through seed banks and you'll see how limited of a selection it is.

__ On a side note has anybody bothered to take the time to homegrow the new mexicans just to see what they are? I don't think they are dutch stock. Aside from the "zona" and the stuff in nor cal there is also the double of potency in two years from the mexican import the news keeps talking about. My friend out in the mid west says he gets it now and it's much better than 90% of the regs we used to see here, and nearly as good as beaster, but its mexi. I'm just curious if anyone has tried it indoor yet.

indifferent

Veteran
British Hempire made it himself, I think he has some seeds for sale on another site breed b a y , but they are just pure colombian.

There is a thread some place around here were you can find more information about were he got the malawi and the colombian parents.

The Malawi was from African Seeds, same one as sold by Seedsman. The Colombian is the old Brazilian Seed Co one, Malawi was the female, I know this cos BH passed the cut to a few folks about 5 years ago, it tasted like spicy carrots I seem to recall.

sensient

hey all,anyone heard of old mother sativa? i,ve been growing her in aus for many years now,it,s been in the country for around 35-40 years,it,s beleived to be a south east asian sativa,pure %100 sat!
she grows huge outdoors given the right climate(semi tropics-tropics)
she,s a great sativa line,simular to the orig haze,amazing smoke in some individuals,she does show slight variation in size and potency fro plant to plant,but alll up she,s just great! have dne some x,s with her:
nl#5/haze(sensi circa 94)
elephant killer(terra australis seeds co)
shit(mr nice)
p.n.g gold(self collected seeds)
hazexdurban(old s.s.s.c seeds)
and a few more aussie strains with theer aswell!
the haaze/durban definatly produced some crazy shit,probly best x i made with her!
anyway,take it eezzy..sensient

indifferent

Veteran
Damn, I'd love some original Haze x Durban seeds, never grew that one but I did the Durban x Thai and that was amazing, that Durban male was supposed to be a real stud.

sensient

hey all,hey indifferent,how are you,yeah the durbans some pretty amazing stuff,the old mother is awsome too in its, own right!
i,ll have to get some d/h x old mother pics up!
take care guys..sensient

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
sorry local, things get missed from time to time. I saw your post and your plant looks interesting. ssh x thai should be good.

Unfortunately though I just don't really have the answer to your questions. Without anyone being familiar with that line it's hard to say why it didn't get bigger, or how long it takes to flower etc

whiskeytango420

There is only one king, god picks em, hand pluckes
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hope no one objects this plant in this thread, but I have NEVER seens a C99 this pineappley and SAT dom.

Its Moscas C99bx

good vibes

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

hardhat22

I think the problem is the entire area is such a clusterf-k. "the west" is a very invasive thing and the area is much different now. Mexican used to be local stuff indigenous to the area, torreon, oaxaca, guerro, etc. And those strains all still exist in some degree, but most mexican you see is mixed with all sorts of stuff. Not to say they don't have some amazing things. But most of them have lots of influences, which is not necessarily a bad thing, they have a very diversified gene pool with many possibilities.
That's interesting. The thoughts of loosing the old stuff is depressing, it just never occured to me to think about lots of new/different sativa genetics being tossed into the mix. I assume the theres been a huge increase of new introductions in the last decade or so? I reckon it's a never ending cycle with this plant. Nothing new under the sun....
Kinda makes digging through my backseed a little less hum-drum. :D Thanks man.As always you're a fountain of knowledge.
Peace

E

elmanito

On one hand its a pity that old Mex genetics are mixed with other genes specially indica.A good Mexican strain gives such a good clear high.:yes:

Some other genes from North India, a wild thing Parvati but such a great smell

picture.php

picture.php

Namaste :smoweed: :pumpkin:

Esskie

.........Some other genes from North India, a wild thing Parvati but such a great smell.......
Parvati was a strain we almost chose from RSC in the order we are waiting on but went in the opposite direction with the RSC order we're currently waiting on & ordered Mazar-i-Sharif (hoping for lots of resin & nice trim for the bags lol)

Having had some experience with Himalayan genetics though a nice specimen of Nepalese origin may find itself under the lights sometime soon?

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
@hardhat

I have no idea what has been introduced in the last decade to mexico. I'd guess there was a stagnation of imports by the 90's though. As smuggling became much more difficult and the genetics themselves were beginning to be made for indoor. As I mentioned though I am curious what genetics are in this new potent stuff coming out in the last year or two that I've been hearing about in the news. It's strange that we just all stopped caring what mexico makes, and yet we constantly curse there being no new sativa genetics introduced to the seed scene. As though the mexican weed available in 1975 grew christmas trees with clone like results.

I guess nobody wants to search through anything to find a keeper. But in all honesty there has been a lot of progress in general since those days. It's true we remember oaxacas, and guerreans, acapulco gold, and so forth. But we forget those were a tiny fraction of what was being imported. Most of it was random mexican sativas that were not very good or memorable. Low resin content, leafy, burn hot, bad taste and smell. Nearly a wild weed, and you still find them occassionally if you grow mexi bagseed of the cheapest variety. Over the past 30 years you've seen these lower quality strains replaced with things from colombia, or where ever. People were fooling around with strains back then too and the same way indica started showing up in mexico in the early 80's you can bet so did jamaican, thai, c-bo, guatemalan, nicaraguan, etc. Higher quality strains have been replacing lesser quality ones since those early days and hasn't stopped.

Even mexican indica I think is under rated. I have to admit I've culled almost every indica pheno that ever showed up in my mex so this is mostly speculation. But these indicas are primarily pre-seed bank hashplants from other countries, acclimated to near tropical sun, and infused with genes of mexi sats. They are probably less boring than a lot of dutch commercial offerings, but the smell is probably not what we're used to these days. They also increased the resin content of hybrid strains that went on to become sativa dominant again.

At any rate my only real point is we shouldn't look at mexican pot as being dead. The chance to find pure lines is pretty much dead and thus from the breeders standpoint it's not that valuable of a region. But from the stand point of an actual smoker who home grows under a small light the weed is probably much better suited today than ever before. With some infusion of indica you can get sativa doms that do great under lights. The actual bud itself probably looks better on average today (lets not forget the many tons of utter shit weed back then). The regular ounce of mexi weed is probably stronger now than ever before. We are just too jaded from kind bud to notice it.

It's a shame the new generation of growers and smokers tend to view mexico as just "where shwag comes from". It's true they have lots of crappy weed both in physical appearance as well as genetic make up. But it's also a respository right at our back doors of polyhybrids of many incredible vanished strains. Many of whom are tropical sativas still acclimated to intense sun. With enough selection of both different bags and number of plants it's not hard to find resinous nameless sub tropical sativas with unique highs. Oldschool weed if there ever was any. It's not much different than the genetics available in the first types "sensi" going around the country before all the seeds came from a'dam.

Last edited:

hardhat22

My comment on introduced genetics is based on the presumption that genetics would be crossing into Mexico as well as out of Mexico. Particularly in the last decade as more and more Mexican workers crossed the border on work visas,then returned home daily.Ditto for some Americans working and some looking to make a buck off of a quick Mexican grown crop.
I feel that the advent of seed companies have to play a part. Ignoring the mafioso and their need for faster finishes, there must be average Joes in Mexico, just like me, seeing these seed vendors online and craving something different from what grandpa grows, and I can think of more than a few sativa hybrids that would do well at 20-30 degrees. Oh well,speculation has it's limitations.
I finally managed to find an indica in Mexi last year, a first for me to my memory. It was a mutant,but I've decided to use the rest of the seed lot in my Johnny Appleseed adventure next year.They'll be put out near water in a bottom and left to their own devices. I have many seed lots with lowered viability that will go out all over the countryside, most likely to be forgotten. I haven't done this since the 80's. I was very successful then ( and lucky),I have my doubts now. I can't remember ever just tossing my seed out a window,I always scratched a furrow and planted. Seemed natural somehow.
Peace

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
I'm sure there has been more introduction in the last couple of decades of generic dutch stock, but in all honesty out of most of the mexi bagseed I see grown very little of it looks dutch, or has much indica influence for that matter.

It's a different situation in jamaica for instance. It's a tiny place and tons of ganja tourists go there and bring seeds, as well as pay to see the crops. Almost all the stuff I see there and grown from island seeds looked dutch. I've never heard of anyone paying to see crops in mexico tbh. Not to say it's never happened (I think I remember Zamalito meeting some), but the growers in the rural mountains of mexico are probably not buying seeds over the internet in any quantity to contaminate the gene pool.

I have heard though that just in the last couple of years they've started growing indica in some parts of mexico because they can get the 3 harvests per year, but they made it sound like it was systemic of certain areas. Like cartels where bringing new seeds to certain areas of high production. I think the main thing to realize is just how poor most of these people are that actually get stuck farming pot. I don't think they have much someone didn't set them up with. Very few have internet access and even fewer have that kind of money to spend on seeds that probably won't arrive in mexican mail.

In the states we grow to have better weed than we can buy, more of it than we can smoke, and to have expendable money. Most mexican farmers are set up on an abandoned corn field in the middle of nowhere, just trying to scrape out a living. Hoping nobody kills them and the cartels don't fuck them over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts