What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Revival of the Ultimate Sativa GROW Thread

G

The ThaiTanic I cut at 79 days doesn't smoke worth crap. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was some of the indica beaster we get around here. A complete disappointment and an utter waste of 4 months. I'm not holding my breath that the other 3 will be any better. I'll leave them in flower as long as I can, but I don't believe it is going to help much.

If I wanted to grow a goddman idica, I would have bought one :(((((((((

Sighs

MT

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You really need to give it a long cure, 2,3 months. Then you'll be singing a different tune! :wink:
I mean you JUST took her down, of course it's gonna taste like ass! :biglaugh:

G

Highlighter said:
You really need to give it a long cure, 2,3 months. Then you'll be singing a different tune! :wink:
I mean you JUST took her down, of course it's gonna taste like ass! :biglaugh:

I didn't mean the "taste" really. I knew it taste like crap being green. The "potency" and "type" of high is really what I meant was CRAP. And I don't think that is going to change with curing. This does NOT smoke like any sativa I recall. And it certainly isn't an "up" high at all.

Now I am not blaming the breeder or seed dealer....both of whom are well regarded by people here. I want to make that clear.

Somehow, something I did apparently really pucked up these plants. Yes, I underfed them Nitrogen somewhat early on, but not that bad...not as badly as I did the Satoris.

I'll accept responsibility for the poor result, but I sure wish I knew what went wrong. Why these plants don't smoke anything at all like the "advertisement" says they should. :(((((((((((((((((((

Reality

MTweedman said:
I didn't mean the "taste" really. I knew it taste like crap being green. The "potency" and "type" of high is really what I meant was CRAP. And I don't think that is going to change with curing. This does NOT smoke like any sativa I recall. And it certainly isn't an "up" high at all.

Now I am not blaming the breeder or seed dealer....both of whom are well regarded by people here. I want to make that clear.

Somehow, something I did apparently really pucked up these plants. Yes, I underfed them Nitrogen somewhat early on, but not that bad...not as badly as I did the Satoris.

I'll accept responsibility for the poor result, but I sure wish I knew what went wrong. Why these plants don't smoke anything at all like the "advertisement" says they should. :(((((((((((((((((((

The potency and type of high you get does depend somewhat on the cure.. Like he said above, give it a good 2 months and then try it out...

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
nah nah man. stone is stone. you didn't do anything wrong. I've had plants go through hell and as long as resin matured it had basically the same stone. potency varied though.

it will change in a few months with a cure. but it usually gets heavier not more up.

thats one of the things that sucks about growing your own weed. runts, and weed it turns out you don't even like that took you months to grow. Been there a thousand times. thats why I haven't run less than about 5 varieties at a time since I was a kid. (too hard to do in a small space though I feel ya)

So its really downer weed huh? and still with clear trichs? thats a shame. with a thai I figured it'd be an up high. I guess that skunk stone muddied it up over the past few decades. Really bummed out for ya. I was hoping it was going to be some real sativa.

and the satori doesn't do it for ya either huh?

how heavy is the stone? whats it like? (what are you comparing the stone to?) because that was one of the biggest shocks to me. I expected almost all sativas to be up and racy and not many of them are. Most of them are still pretty stony and sedative. Just in a different way. that durban probably would've been a bit heavy for ya too. I think you'll like the hazes though.

G

how heavy is the stone? whats it like? (what are you comparing the stone to?) because that was one of the biggest shocks to me. I expected almost all sativas to be up and racy and not many of them are. Most of them are still pretty stony and sedative. Just in a different way. that durban probably would've been a bit heavy for ya too. I think you'll like the hazes though.

Hi Motaco:

At the moment, the ThaiTanic smokes very much like the Ice and Aurora Indica I grew. I know smoking that Ice and AI the last few months has an influence on my perception of the ThaiTanic and Satori. But honestly, I really can't tell much, if any, difference.

And maybe in my impatience and haste I didn't do my homework on strain selection. I read the available stuff on both strains. You can read it for yourself. Both should produce an "up" type high. maybe I don't know what that means. But here's what I'm comparing it to...and what MAYBE i'll find in the hazes I have going now..

Years ago..mid to late 70's. Mid Atlantic coast area. The weed we got there was mostly from Columbia. I know that for a fact because a couple times "bales"(I was an innocent bystander watching, etc :joint: ) would have newspaper(s) in them....printed in Columbia. So....

edit: I sit here today and recall throwing away seeds by the f'ing COFFEE CAN full (old 1lb Blue Maxwell House cans you used to "zip" open") Sickening isn't it? :joint:
The high I remember from that weed, seedy and full of stems was VERY up. We used to all get together and watch SNL on Sat. nights and LAUGH OUR F'ING ASSES OFF for the whole show. Same for Mork and Mindy. Robin Williams was KILLER funny back then. I'd be exhausted from laughing giggling, etc. etc. Those of you who smoked that stuff know what I mean. THAT is the sort of high I like and I'm looking for weed today that will give that sort of high. You didn't WANT to "sit down" at first. Very cerebral at times. I remember having to just take a walk on the beach and GO SOMEWHERE because I wasn't gonna sit in my apartment "buzzing" like I was.

So thats what I'm looking for.

Maybe the hazes will be it...if I can grow them right. I didn't choose any hazes this last time because 1) I am a newbie 2) I wasn't sure one could grow any of the haze hybrids in a small space.

I'll find out. Skunk Haze #1 is a girl I found out today. She is the one pictured with green tiedown tape....and already out of control almost. She been topped and supercropped and tied down and still going nuts. I chopped a lot of lower stuff off all the other plants. Doing it now so less stress. The way all these haze plants are growing, yield won't be an issue. They make nodes like mad..everywhere.

SkHaze#1 was first in flower with the Durban poison. I really whacked the DP back and put in on 24/0. I'll try my hand at "bonsai dads" with it. Then later when these are ready to pollinate, I'll flower it. Right?

These SSH from Mr Nice are scary growers. I hadn't noticed how fast one of them was growing in the mess of my tent (the Thais are still in the corners). I had to whack it pretty hard. Hope that won't make it herm on me.

They seem to heal up pretty quick though from supercropping. I mean you bend/break the branch and it 2 days it's healed up, big fistula forming. I thought I had snapped one branch clean off about a week ago. I rested it on a big fan under it, and it's growing fine today.

ramble ramble

MT

This one is a girl

Last edited:

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I sit here today and recall throwing away seeds by the f'ing COFFEE CAN full (old 1lb Blue Maxwell House cans you used to "zip" open") Sickening isn't it?
LOL, I used to put my seeds in a big gallon bottle, was room decor, but I remember sifting the seeds a few times, hoping for enough "husks" to fill a bowl! :biglaugh:

G

Highlighter said:
LOL, I used to put my seeds in a big gallon bottle, was room decor, but I remember sifting the seeds a few times, hoping for enough "husks" to fill a bowl! :biglaugh:

hehehheee. We all remember those things. Some of my "purist" type friends used to make bad faces when they'd see me dump an ounce in my flour sifter and start crankin.

I mean who really wants to sit there and pick apart these dry seedy buds and then get a newsmag (just fuzzy enough to hold the weed but not the seed) and fiddle around carding it with a matchbook? LOL!!

I do remember seeing a few nice buds now and then from new bales(the few I actually saw unwrapped). But most were crushed to death from the compactor. And DRY!!!!!!!!!! But the stuff smoked so good. And so much different than anything I've seen in years.

The last good weed like that I recall smoking was in summer 2001. My ex g/f got it from someone I didn't know. She didn't know anything about weed. First we smoked of it was in her hottub on her deck and I was not ready for it. I just thought it was another "bag-o-weed". I'm sure the neighbors heard us laughing and carrying on. It was really good stuff. It must have been grown by someone local I'm thinking. Price was same as the stuff we were getting all along. Anyone who would have been selling for profit would have asked twice what she paid. Oh well......

I'm rambling again.

I need to go see if I can root the cutting I got from SSH3

MT

G

My last Cherry Thai for now - a 5+ month vegged clone.

She produced many, many cuts.

8 days into 12/12.

48 inches already!

G

CaveGrower!!

Mighty fine looking girl there. I'm glad you have room for her to grow like that. I'm envious!

I'll be cutting my ThaiTanics here in the next day or so. I can't wait on them much longer. Today is day85+ for them.

MT

sugabear_II

Veteran
great thread motaco, as usual your posts are an asset to the community :yes:

I really enjoyed what you said about good brickweed... I remember many a good bag of brick weed in the 80s-90s in the NE usa. Often looking like crap and sometimes not the weed could be decievingly potent - as you say rarely does one find the same variety of highs in todays hybrids

I even remember finding some really amazing thai spice in '92 that cost $250 a zip, which is alot for brick, but damnit if it wasn't super sticky tasty dark nuggets that smelled like applesauce when broken up and would turn the paper on the joint brown after two tokes. I wish I had saved those seeds soo much now :badday:

I also remember the mid 90s in the NE where the brick was really really bad sometimes

I also remember when I was in the mountain west how much different the brick was there - greener and therefore better tasting - but like you point out it was not much stronger than the stuff that looked like hell - just fresher...

anyways - I wanted to add a few tips on my own 12 week sativa experience in DWC hydro... I'm not going to say it was a sativa as I bred it and it was a cross between an afghani and a burmese - so I know it was not pure sativa but it was long flowering and otherwise showed mostly sativa traits in growth and high.

Root ristriction was not possible in DWC, obviously, so SCROG was used and flowering was induced early on (2 weeks veg from seed). Nonetheless she turned into a monster after 84 days flower

I did however employ the nutrient deprivation to make this one finish -- First at 6 weeks of flower I diminished N by replacing 50% of the Floranova I usually feed with bionova P-K 13-14 which is just P and K

45 days of flower here and near the end of her recieving of N

- then in week 7 just the PK 13-14 for a week.

52 days flower here - just beginning to be shut off the nutrients completely

Then I flushed with water+fulvic acid and organic sugar for 2 weeks (now at 10 weeks).

about 9 weeks flower here.

just over 10 weeks here

Finally last two weeks were pure water flush only.

pre harvest - now this plant hasn't been fed for 4 weeks and hasn't had any N for 5 weeks.

As I think is clear from this montage a sativa (like) plant will continue to grow and finish buds up after the feed has been shut off.

I'd really like to hear more about the SSH grows people have done - is she a 10 week girl or usually longer and who has the best SSH?

Thanks

suga

p.s. - some money shots - only long flowering plants make beautiful long colas like this caked in sticky sweet resin (as opposed to oily / greasy indica resins)

G

sugabear!!

Those are really nice plants. !!!!!

And I am going to try what you did restricting N to keep my SSH from getting too big. They are in 3L pots now and I hope to let them do their stretching in them. Then repot up when the stretch is over. Hopefully, I can keep them smaller. They have been topped and supercropped too.

MT

sugabear_II

Veteran
MTweedman said:
sugabear!!

Those are really nice plants. !!!!!

Just one plant actually... thank you for the kind words.

MTweedman said:
And I am going to try what you did restricting N to keep my SSH from getting too big. They are in 3L pots now and I hope to let them do their stretching in them. Then repot up when the stretch is over. Hopefully, I can keep them smaller. They have been topped and supercropped too.

MT

I think you are confused with what I was saying - which is about removing N during flower (long after the stretch is over) and flushing to force the plant to finish up.

Motaco has outlined this method for finishing and I was attempting to add additional information about this technique as I had used it in DWC hydro.

Motaco has also discussed the use of N depravation in the first few weeks of flower as a method to keep the plant from stretching too much - I'm afraid I don't have experience with this - someone else can likely answer that question better.

Sorry - not trying to be a downer - just trying to explain my post was more about finishing long flowering sativa dominant plants in DWC hydro... others can better direct you on limiting stretch through container size and N depravation...

My key in hydro was always to quickly flower everything and use SCROG - I flipped most anything but an indica after just 1-2 weeks from seed - in a DWC setup this still produced large plants.

BTW who's SSH are you growing? that strain has caught my eye as of late and I'm really thinking I need to give her a grow when I get back growing...

Good luck with your grow :yes:

-suga

G

Oh OK!! I see what you meant now. Thanks!

I'm growing Mr Nice SSH. I had 3 plants going. One I found was a male today. I'm saving him for the moment. I may make some F2's since SSH seeds are pretty pricy. BUT you get what you pay for. Shanti has the real deal IMO. I've read a lot of the history there and I've decided I'll go with Shanti and MNS.

I have a grow diary started but it needs updating. I have 2 Skunk Hazes(1 fem so far) and 2 SSH going. They are very aggressive plants. I can see where they would be giants in the right environment.

GL to U2

MT

G

Cherry Thai - 18 days into 12/12 with one 400w HPS.

Will frost her with some Dream Goddess pollen in a few weeks.

Goin for a funky cross!

Nice buds Sugarbear - looking really nice!

G

Here are my haze hybrids. SSH in front on Day 15 of 10/14. Skunk Haze behind her on day 21 of 10/14.

They are in 3L pots. They have both been topped more than once, supercropped, and tied down. They are about 24" tall and about that wide. Gonna be major bushes it looks like. These haze hybrids sure do grow aggressively. I love the really slender leaflets on the new leaves.

I topped that Skunk Haze right before it went to 10/14. It doubled in size in the next 11 days. I just hope all those nodes growing up will slowwwww down a bit. Spacing is shortening up. I hope that is a good sign.

MT

Click x2 to enlarge pic

Skunk Haze Day 21 of 10/14

Skunk Haze Day 21 of 10/14

SuperSilverHaze Day 15 of 10/14

G

Try asking that over on the other of Motaco's "Ultimate Sativa Thread", but the short answer is "Yes".

I bought some Malawi Gold and Durban Poison. Both were sold as "wild seeds gathered in Africa". That's what they say.

Ask over on that other thread :) LOTs of sativa guys over there.

MT

kindroyale

MTweedman said:
Try asking that over on the other of Motaco's "Ultimate Sativa Thread", but the short answer is "Yes".

I bought some Malawi Gold and Durban Poison. Both were sold as "wild seeds gathered in Africa". That's what they say.

Ask over on that other thread :) LOTs of sativa guys over there.

MT

thanx mt! reps plus ;)

jrw

This thread is AWSOME!

motaco, your knowledge and helpfulness is a example to all of us! :D

Im am currently planning a pure Sativa micro-grow and many of your advices fit very nicely with what I'm contemplating.

One thing puzzles me though and somehow contradicts what I thought to be consensus. And thats the assertion that rootbinding (ie limiting rootspace) counteracts stretch. Or do you merely mean growth?

1. Doesn't rootboundness promote stretch resulting in long distances between nodes?

I also have a secondary question that has to do with the way I plan to grow my pure Sativas.

2. What would happen if I start out my seeds in small cups directly on 12/12 and only transplant once into a 30 liter soilbed. The particular soilbed will hold 6 plants of various strains. Will I run out of unused nutrientrich soil when the plants need it the most?

3. What are the common growth pattern for pure Sativas after flipping to 12/12? When do they stretch, for how long, when do they bud up, how long etc?

Btw, Im gonna grow
a. Malawi Gold F2 (Seedsman)
b. Thai (unknown)
c. Senor Garcia F2 (Oregon Purple Thai x Panama Red)
d. Jahwi's Joy (landrace from Ghana)
12/12 from seed, untopped, scrogged.

Check out my current grow here - as you see, I'm gonna have my hands full growing pure Sativas in my cab :D
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=68371&page=1&pp=40

Cheers, and once again. Thank you so much for this massively entertaining and inspiring thread!

Kali Mist and Hashplants flowering in old cabinet

Unknown Sativa-dom bagseeds kept low :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts