What's new

Revival of the Ultimate Sativa GROW Thread

G

Highlighter said:
Hey MTweedman, things are looking good your way! :yes: Don't you love how easy it is cleaning up the Hut? :D
I have a 4 X 4 Hut and am running a staggered grow like you. Just seems to me you might be 1 tier too many in the middle there. The new plants are getting an increase in lighting all of a sudden, and seem maybe too close to the light so early on, also robbing light angles to the Thaitanics. Just my 2 cents, mind you, but I would format it more like a stadium grow.
Any idea on how close the Thaitanics are?

Hey Cavegrower, welcome! :wave: The Cherry Thai looks wicked, and if she's been run that many times, she must be! :D

Hey Highlighter:

You are right about the cleaning up the "hut"! :) I love this thing. I wish I could have got a 4x4 but no room in this apt.

And yes, I got impatient and began my haze grow too soon. The damn haze plants grew fast too. Wait till I get some good pictures. My Durban Poison is just a GORGEOUS plant right now. The Skunk Haze and MNS SuperSilver Hazes are very aggressive growers. I'm having to really watch nutes and pot size. I need to keep them to 40-42 inches. I damn near broke a SSH branch clean off trying to supercrop it 3 days ago. The branch is still green. SSH is a very powerful grower. Actually all of them are.

I'm moving things around again. I was limited in what I could use for plant props. And I HAD to get the hazes in there. They just plain outgrew my vegging area....and I still have another SSH to get in there.

The problem is I simply can't chop the ThaiTanics now. They just aren't ready. I just read several growers reports on ThaiTanic on another site. All of the ppl said they wished they had let it go another week or two. They chopped their ThaiTanics in the 70-75day range(strain is adv at 63-84days) So I want to let mine go as long as possible. They are on day 77+- today.

And the hazes are down lower now. I pulled one level off there, afraid something would fall.

And I am open to any advice.

What would happen to my ThaiTanics if I pulled them out and put them under the vegging lights for the last week or so? Would 18/6 light at this stage cause hermies etc.?

MT

THANKS!!!!!

G

Changing your lights @ this point would not be good IMO......

Have experimented all year with 30 hr dark periods every 8th day in flower.

This does work - 3 sep. runs of Cherry Thai & Black Forrest clones did quite
well, though a 24 hr dark period is recommended.

If ya try it - when you go back to 12/12 or whatever yer " normal " flower times are, keep the plants a few feet from the lights for the first day - so they do not burn. Try it once or twice - I had amazing pistel / trich growth every time. There is a whole thread about it @ Skunk.

The Cherry Thai averages 13 weeks and the Black Forrests I flowered for
over 16 weeks - thus experimenting with ways to " push " the girls.

just a thought...........nice plants!!

G

Cavegrower!

Thanks for the post. I'm not going to change the lighting on them. I'll keep all 4 in there as long as I can. One, however, will have to go in the next 2-3 days. I just have to get that last SuperSilverHaze into flower.

I sure hope these don't want to go over 12 weeks. That's going to try my patience and nerves for sure.

A few trichomes looked to be turning amber maybe....and more and more pistils changing. Big fans are dying off finally. Still quite a few pistils that are snow white.

It's a bummer they are so small. The yield won't be very good. "Proportionally" they are nice plants. The colas are probably close to 4" in diameter near the top. Budding on main stem extends down almost half way.

I'm going to try to reveg 2 of them, maybe 3 if i have room. Hopefully one will make it. If this smokes as good as those reviews, then I'll be happy to grow it again.

MT

G

Cavegrower said:
Nice ThaiTanics!!! lookin good!

Have my last Cherry Thai mama - she is a clone from last years seed run.

She is bout 5 months old and yielded many many clones.

BUT I need room in Veg - so I sent her to the flower room Monday!

Based on the last 5 runs O' this - she should hit @ least 7 feet and yield
over 8 ounces!

She is currently 32 inches tall w/ a 24 inch canopy.

I go by Caveman @ Skunk and UTG, thus the tag on my pic.

7 feet!!!!!!!! You have that much room to flower? I envy you!!!!

My plants are only 32 inches tall +- hehhehe. I hope I will get an Oz from each, but we'll see.

I like that Cherry Thai. Are you giving up that strain, or have another mom for it? How is the high compared to ThaiTanic, if you have smoked ThaiTanic?

One reason I would like to reveg it is I would like to maybe cross TahiTanic with one of my new grow. SuperSilverHaze, Skunk Haze, and I got one Durban Poison. I just have to see which I get males from.

Thanks and I'll be posting my hazes here soon...I hope

Thx :rasta:

MT

Big Brother

Sativas 1974

Sativas 1974

I started growing Sativas down in the low mt ranges of the bay area, In the 70s what was good California Sativa was Haze, a sativa grown by the Haze in the L.A. hills did not have pots just took a fox hole shovel and dug a hole and mix the soil with with cow manure and horse manure. and packed the dirt around the clone and prayed.

G

Thanks MT - yep 7 feet. Plenty of room. Had some Black Forrest that
went to almost 8 feet indoors. Fun stuff.

Not giving up the C Thai strain - been growing it for over a year - started
w/ seeds last fall & cloned & cloned & cloned. This mama is my last clone.
Have fresh C Thai beans, just changing up some strains.

Just popped Cobalt Candy, BR1947 & a Boreal Freeze Mix - all indoor.
and I have a few DreamGoddess vegging!

Never smoked the ThaiTanic - have heard good thngs. The C Thai is
a citrus / fruitcake smoke - a real ethereal Sativa high. 2 hit wacky
weed when done right.

The stretch on these is kinda insane - oh well!

enjoy that D Poison - great stuff!!!!

G

Cavegrower:

Have you grown Durban Poison? This is the only one of 4 seeds I got to germ. Mine came from Seedsman. This plant is really pretty IMO at this stage. It's been in 10/14 since Nov.8th. The deep green color is really incredible. It has nine nodes off the main stem at the moment. The top, tenth is split from topping...a bit late. You can see that the roots are already to the pot sides in 4 days. Roots are very healthy. The pic isn't out of focus. Those are the root hairs making it look that way. This is why I like clear pots. Not enough light ever gets to them to hurt. This is my 3rd grow using clear pots.

Thx

MT

Click to enlarge.

Kinda hope this is a girl

I just love this top view and how green this plant is. The big fans are BIG too. Bigger than the hazes. 11 leaflets on the big ones

Very healthy roots. amazing how fast the roots will spread through the soil

This was my DP on Nov 8th when I transplanted and put it to 10/14

G

Hey everyone:

I need your opinions on my "tiedown" of this Skunk Haze. I tied the 4 branches from the top two nodes to the pot sides. I like the green plant tape because it won't hurt the stem. I tied one end and went over the branch and "bulldog" clipped it. This way I can move or adjust it quickly and easily. You can see where I have been bending the branches, the "fistulas" forming and thickening the branches.

My idea is to have those branches go straight out from main stem. Then the nodes along those tied down branches will grow UP.

Look like it will work ?

MT
click to enlarge

closer view

G

Have never grown the Poison - but have sampled it.

Have some PTF poison thunder**** beans - sampled the bud.

Should be quite strong - heavy citrus & pine-sol flavor, good legs.

I tie down the tall Sats all the time - but only in flower, the Black Forrest
would not have been poss. indoors otherwise. Too damm tall!

Plants look good!

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, that's the way to do it! I like that plant tape.:yes:

This generally will add more yield, with those nodes branching upwards. Just have to be able to afford the horizontal girth she'll be taking up.

I was keeping quiet, hoping motaco would post up on your idea of using lower wattage to finish the ThaiTanics off. He had just had some interesting words about that over @ his UST. You would have to keep at 12/12 or less light, not more.
Looking good! :D:yes:

G

Cavegrower and Highlighter:

Thanks for the info and the "inspiration"! I love growing these plants. It's become a near obsession. I want them to be "perfect" even though I know that won't happen.

I was really pissed about breaking that branch on the SSH. I'm just amazed it is still alive. Maybe it will die yet. I've grown all sorts of plants indoors and out. These weed plants are very tough plants.

I have 6 plants going into flower. It's all going to come down to sex ratio as to what my exact growing strategy will be. I know the plants cannot grow talller than 40-42". That is a given.

So that's why topping and tying....along with pot size restriction/careful nute regime is what I'm looking at doing.

Let's say I get 50/50 so 3 plants to finish in 1 square meter. I think I can do 3 nice plants in that space. One decision I need advice on.

Those square "pots" you see the plants in are 3 liter. I measured it. Those are what I intend to let these "stretch" in. Motaco's theory being that restricting the pot size at this stage clues the plant in that it doesn't have much "room" to grow roots, so it will keep itself smaller.

Then when the stretch slows way down/stops I will then transplant up in pot size from 3L to ___________________?????????? 2 gallon (8L) or 3 gallon (11L)

I'm leaning towards 3 gallon / 11 liter pots. It'll mean a lot easier on me to water. The possible downside is: will the plants get growing taller again?

Isn't this where controlling Nitrogen is what you have to be careful about?

I plan to use Earth Juice Flower because it has no Nitrogen in it. I should say at this point.... When I made up the soil for this last transplant to the square 3L pots, I left out any High N bat guano. It still has some High N guano because I about 1/2 of the soil has about 1/2 a "dose" of High N in it. I didn't want soil loaded up with Nitrogen. I want to more tightly control Nitrogen by adding it as needed. I'm not an organic fanatic. I'll give them a dose of MG 30-10-10(1/2 tsp/gallon = about 200PPM/.4EC on my meter...and my tapwater) if they really need some quick N...although I don't see that happening. I'm not gonna starve them during their stretch like I did my ThaiTanics.

anyway...ramble ramble....When I make up my soil for final transplant, it will NOT have any added Nitrogen, or if that is too extreme, maybe 1/4 what I would normally put in...which is 2 Tbls/gallon of high N bat guano. I need some advice/input on that subject please???

OH OH

on the ThaiTanic light change. I'm not going to do that. I was just frustrated is all. I'm not gonna fook them up at this point. It's crowded in there, but managable.

What I may do though is go ahead and cut just one of the ThaiTanics tomorrow or Friday night. Tomorrow is day 79+- Then I can get the last SSHaze in flower...and then all will be Ok through the weekend. I won't have any time to mess with them over the weekend. I'll be hunting dawn to dark. This and Thanksgiving weekend are last weekends to hunt here. I really enjoy being out in the woods no matter if I kill anything or not. Enjoying outdoor opportunities is why I live where I do :) really cool mountainous wilderness area where Nature rules pretty much all the time. I feel humbled going back into places where not much about the landscape has changed in eons :sasmokin: end of speech

MT

Last edited:

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
It´s ok tied MTweedman :yes:

That is "technique" that you just have to try & learn, because not all the strains are suitable for that style and you might even lose in yield when doing that bondage thang...

I would suggest you to make more drastic bendings at veg, so you dont have to tie them too much when they have been induced into flowering, which bring stress and possibly hermies if you got badluck...

So: Live, Try & Learn :2cents:

I could try to finish my B & B thread, but I dont make any promises, because of busy schedule. I know I have promised finishing it ages for motaco & other cool & calm sativa dudes who makes this SativaOfLife grow :D

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
yeah I know how you feel herbal. tying is a hard thing to do sometimes. sometimes those lateral branches are just dense node oriented flowers. and when they are forced to try and become main branches they just don't wanna. They wanna stay part of a floral cluster. Luckily with most sativas that isn't much of a problem.

@mt
about the fertilizer I couldn't really tell you. I use my one base soil mix for transplanting and since its added slowly (per transplant) it usually eats them and I never had a problem with it. That being said I have never gone over 2 gallons restricting a sativa because I only restrict SOG style plants. When I do larger containers I supercrop and treat roots the same as I do any others at that point. I shoot for yield per plant and figure each gallon of soil is worth one healthy ounce. I let the supercropping keep them short and mostly buds.

If you're going to LST I think the secret is definitely to start LST'ing them while they are young. I'm more of a topping kinda guy than a FIM or scrog kinda guy. but I've seen them both work well. But I top i don't LST.

about the thai tanics. I wouldn't cut them until they are ready. Everyone cuts sativas too early and it really hurts them pretty bad. its an unfortunate thing. everybody likes indicas in the end of the cycle. if its 45 days to 65 they like it around 62 or so. Sativas have a long flowering window but unfortunately they are best far back into it. IMHO at least. Some people don't like how long I let my sativas go so it really is a matter of opinon.

But anyway rather than cut them early. Just taking them away from light and putting them in a closet for a week would be better. Some people swear by it for increased resin but if absolutely nothing else it will extend the resin maturation which is a much bigger deal than the actual quantity of it. half as much mature resin is better than one that isn't amber'd up enough.

I like mine as cloudy as possible. which means there are virtually no clear heads (they give me headaches, anxiety, makes my eyes hurt, all sorts of weird stuff) about 60-70% are a storm cloud color under a microscope and reflect light alot. the other 30% or so are amber.

Like I said before some people don't like how long I let my sativas go because they are kinda a different stone than what others sativas are like. They aren't very up usually unless its a genetic predisposition like haze. and haze is a perfect example. when ripened how I like its alot less up and racy and alot more trippy and stony. I hear people say they like sativas because they can go about their business and feel good... not with mine. It'll be pretty hard to stay focused and active how I take them.

I really hate early sativas. I think they are one reason alot of people think they don't like sativas. they give me pressure in my head that dr. jay told me was inter ocular pressure or something and its relieves glaucoma. But I don't have glaucoma and it makes my eyes feel like they are gonna pop out my head. it also gives me headaches and stuff. Not fun. Early white widows do this to me especially.

Last edited:
G

Ok..home for a quick lunch. Here's what I'm going to do I think. Partly because of Tahnksgiving and my girlfriend, yadda yadda.....

I'll take one ThaiTanic out and get my last haze in there. Then I'll leave the other 3 in there and see how it goes.

I'm not much for LST. I do like topping and supercropping for my setup. 40" isn't real tall. I'll have to make do with 2-3 plants in what looks like the 8L pots. Sheeeeeeit. I can't hit a home run my first time at bat, or the odds aren't good. I gotta learn though. I'll mess with different ways maybe to tie them. That Skunk haze may become too big the way I have it tied. However, if it grows up, and not out, it'll be a hell of a plant...if female.

Thanks guys for the help!!

MT

G

I chopped the one smallest ThaiTanic. I'll let the other three grow till after Thanksgiving...another week. I don't have much choice since I will have to leave town for Thanksgiving and Friday. Just no time to cut and properly dry them before Thanksgiving. I need to be here as they dry so I don't over dry them or mold or whatever. I'd be really pissed if I cut them now and went off and came back to ruined buds!!

This ThaiTanic yielded 100g even from the branches and the cola was 72g All green fresh cut weights after trimming. So I'll guess 35g or so after drying/curing. The other plants should have a bit more since they are somewhat bigger and better bud formation. If that trend holds, I'll get 5-6 oz from them plus the little bit from the Satoris. That will keep me and my g/f in smoke till the hazes come in....especially if this stuff smokes like they say.

MT

G

My Durban Poison is a male...At least it's a nice specimen. I think I'll keep it around to cross with whatever females I get. The seeds will be fun to grow out since as I understand it, there are no African genetics in SSH or Skunk Haze. Might get something interesting out of it.

MT

G

Here is the plant I chopped on Day 79+-
This was the one with the floppy cola and the shortest plant, maybe 28". It was not topped, nor were any branches trimmed off. It grew just like it wanted 12/12 from seed.

172 grams green weight. Many of the 100grams of buds were airier than I thought at first. The 72 gram cola is pretty dense except for the foxtailing than came on late.

MT

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
so that was 80 days from seed huh? give us some dry pics when she is done. I was always interested in thai tanic but never ran her.

doesn't look bad. especially if that is the runt.

how are the satori I see they are gone what was the smoke and yield like on them?

Last edited:
G

No that is 100 days from seed sprout. 79 days + from showing sex. All plants had shown sex no later than August 28th. I'll have some pics soon. The cola is hanging in a closet. The buds are drying on screens in same closet. Temps running 70-78F RH is in 40's. They are drying slowly which is good. I haven't had a mold issue yet. It stays pretty dry in here with electric baseboard heat, esp in fall winter.

I began a thread on the grow diary thing for my haze plants. It's as much for me to be able to keep track of what I did when, etc. as anything else. I'm suffering increasingly from "CRS" :( Did I water yesterday or was it day before? hehehee. These haze hybrids are very aggressive growers aren't they? As I was making the new thread I was amazed at how fast growth accelerrates those first few weeks. I hope I don't end up having to kill off a female because they got too big on me. I can do it. I'll just feel bad, Ya know? :sasmokin:

MT

MT

G

Day 83+ of flower, day 104+ overall, and still clear trics :(
At least the bigger leaves are finally starting to die.

MT

Latest posts

Latest posts