What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Revival of the REVIVAL of the ULTIMATE SATIVA THREAD a.k.a R.U.S.T II

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
Damn I love the photos in this thread. There is something magical about long flowering sativas that hardly put out. They are the antithesis to what is occuring in the "cannabis industry" ATM. Everything seems to be about yield and bag appeal... I wonder why? Sucks to see.

Is there a market for 15 + week sativas? Are there enough people who love cannabis so much they see through what is being offered by the corporate conglomerate fuck bois?

Questions for any sativa or haze lovers and breeders (mostly breeders)...

What strain in your experiences have extremely recessive traits? Which varieties have been the hardest to get to shine through regardless of what you cross it with? Anything extra hard to capture in seed form due to this? True sativas and hazes... nothing watered down with indica genetics... but also not strains that yield nothing. Educate me. I'm doing major work over here. Thanks in advance!

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
Recessive traits? I've grown weed with very thin leaves, even though it's not really a matter of true dominance in the mendelian sense, the moment you cross a WLD with a NLD you will get a wider leaflet, and you will have to do some selection and backcrossing to get back to the original.
I've grown charas cultivars that looked like hemp all the way to week 13 of flowering and all of a sudden throw out trichomes like confetti on the 14th, and smelling like nothing weed ever smells like.
I've grown charas cultivars off Nepal or the Parvati Valley in the Hymalayas with buds so sparse I was literally wasting space that could have grown a different type, no matter how much LST and binding or pruning I did she wouldn't budge.
One time I planted a few parvati seeds that sprouted a year after...(the fuckers) oh and the hermaphrodites abound because well...they are allowed to grow in fields and valleys, no one is gonna worry about maximising female yield...so hermies abound and you always end up with a whole bunch of seeds, which you end up throwing away because most of them aren't even mature because you are forcing the cycle to get it to finish...ngl I had an idea what i was getting into, but boy was it a painful lesson.

I've given up on trying to keep or cross these really long, weird cultivars, I'm currently keeping only a few "pure sativas" mostly for curiosity and for future projects, for the time being.
If, by the time I'm 60, Cannabis will be legal in my country, and I'll own a farm, I will be growing them, but I can't stand to watch them struggle indoors, and they don't cross well with skunks to produce stable F1s that you could say: "hey! I'll spend the next 4 to 5 runs selecting for desirable traits." Nope, not worth it in my experience. But they are all beautiful and special in their own way and so full of diversity, It's why I keep coming back time and again to this thread.
IMG_20231004_093405_edit_496401043682586.jpg
South Indian Kerala (2019 accession acquired from TRSC from the Idukki region)

Last edited:

alvin88

I've never grown any pure sativas before but I got an itch in me! I'm already stocking seeds for winter indoor and next years outdoor. Here's what I was able to get out this year though.

First 3 pics are Highland Lao #4 from RSC. They were sewn on July 1st and are about 10-12ft tall and just starting to flower. One looks to be faster to start by about 7-10days.

Pics 4 and 5 are Nanda Devi #2 also by RSC. Further along in flower but still hilariously late considering everything else in my garden will be down in the next two weeks. Also, this plant just grew into that limbo stance, avoiding the shade of another plant and reaching for its own sunny patch. Pretty wild characterstic.

I have hopes the Nanda Devi will be finished around Thanksgiving, and the Lao sometime around New Years. These are at 38N in California sierra foothills so we could have mild weather until then or if like last year torrential rain and freezing temps by Thanksgiving.

Attachments

• 20231011_150319.jpg
    20231011_150319.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 46
  • 20231011_150343.jpg
    20231011_150343.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
  • 20231011_150549.jpg
    20231011_150549.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • 20231011_150444.jpg
    20231011_150444.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 40
  • 20231011_150509.jpg
    20231011_150509.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
nice, nice.. I have last of jar of AB from last season. it is sour mango chocolate/lemon ginger pheno... I let it for special occasions like full moon or winter solistice... it is kind of wasting it when you smoke it daily... look at humbls ABs in tom hill haze thread. it is later than random toms haze... simply the beauty! hahahahaha
I’ll Post ‘em here Maha so folks don’t have to search. Two Acid Beauties. One in ground and the other up-planted super late into a 25 gallon or so. Looks like Christmas flowers to me .
IMG_5535.jpeg
IMG_5536.jpeg
IMG_5539.jpeg
IMG_5542.jpeg
IMG_5544.jpeg
IMG_5546.jpeg

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Various Ace Zenith flowers. One of these would likely be an indoor cash croppers dream. Minimal stretch and incredibly voluminous flowers. I get a lot of stick chewing gum, minty. Still looking for all the fruit forward and bubblegum that’s being discussed. Maybe the heat is driving off those terpenes.
IMG_5366.jpeg
IMG_5362.jpeg
IMG_5553.jpeg
IMG_5554.jpeg
IMG_5556.jpeg
IMG_5558.jpeg
IMG_5559.jpeg
IMG_5564.jpeg
IMG_5567.jpeg
IMG_5570.jpeg

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran

burningfire

Veteran
Here's the Ethiopian again.. Last week's weather was in the low 10s and rainy.. This week and the next 10 days should be in the mid 10s and sunny. I can't bring her indoors just yet, I might be able to in a week but I don't have any space at the moment.

She was underfed, now she's overfed.. The only aroma right now is one of unripe bananas, it's not very pungent. Resin coverage is decent for such a plant, nothing compared to the cross though.

eth13.jpg

Here's the cross, the resin coverage from the NCH3 is apparent. The aromas have that musky woody base from the NCH3 but none of the funk, this might change, there's a little more spice in there, the other day it kind of reminded me of chicken stock for a reason, I think it's the pinene and the muskiness that made me think of something savory.

This one is a little more resinous than the other but the other one is no slouch.

Edit. I took a small nug from it and it's stickier than any of the parents, I also got a better smell since I disturbed the trichomes, the beta-pinene from the Ethiopian mixed with the base notes of the NCH3 make it smell like turpentine, it's a prominent solvent smell. I'll quick dry it over 2 days to get a sense of the effects

nch3xeth.jpg

and the other one

nch3xeth2.jpg

Last edited:

GreenAndFast

Used my partners phone to take some higher def photos lol
Golli ohaze has some of the most beautiful leaves I've had the pleasure of growing..
IMG-20231014-WA0011.jpg

Mango Thai clone
IMG-20231014-WA0021.jpg

IMG-20231014-WA0017.jpg

Mango Thai #5 forever edition
IMG-20231014-WA0015.jpg

Mango Thai x Zamxcon
IMG-20231014-WA0005.jpg

Tropical boogie clone
IMG-20231014-WA0018.jpg

Super silver sour Thai Nevil @ojd this is the most vigorous yet
IMG-20231014-WA0023.jpg

It's a jungle in there 🤣
IMG-20231014-WA0016.jpg

And a pair of moruga Scorpion pepper plant for any chill lovers out there. With a few acid beauty and mango Thai clones hanging out
IMG-20231014-WA0013.jpg

green-genes77

Veteran
Hey @green-genes77 genes Now your talking! A pure Sativa that can grow all the way to Canada outdoors.
These were real fun to grow! Fast movers with unique fragrances, and they make very chill medicine. I did an open pollination with these this summer so I'll get an even better look at them next year. I also included a few choice non-Nepali females in that project. It'll be interesting to see how the moisture and cold tolerance expresses in the progeny.