What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Revival of the REVIVAL of the ULTIMATE SATIVA THREAD a.k.a R.U.S.T II

vermontman

OAXACAN GOLD GREEN LINE

Attachments

• EARLY SUMMER OAX & NEPALI 009.jpg
    EARLY SUMMER OAX & NEPALI 009.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 19

vermontman

GREEN MOUNTAIN GRAPE
Head high by fourth of July and already starting to flower.
Look for seeds this Fall.

Attachments

• GREEN MOUNTAIN GRAPE HAPPY 4TH OF JULY 002.jpg
    GREEN MOUNTAIN GRAPE HAPPY 4TH OF JULY 002.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 20
  • GREEN MOUNTAIN GRAPE HAPPY 4TH OF JULY 004.jpg
    GREEN MOUNTAIN GRAPE HAPPY 4TH OF JULY 004.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 20
  • GREEN MOUNTAIN GRAPE HAPPY 4TH OF JULY 007.jpg
    GREEN MOUNTAIN GRAPE HAPPY 4TH OF JULY 007.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 16
  • GREEN MOUNTAIN GRAPE HAPPY 4TH OF JULY 011.jpg
    GREEN MOUNTAIN GRAPE HAPPY 4TH OF JULY 011.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 19
  • GREEN MOUNTAIN GRAPE HAPPY 4TH OF JULY 017.jpg
    GREEN MOUNTAIN GRAPE HAPPY 4TH OF JULY 017.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 15
  • GREEN MOUNTAIN GRAPE HAPPY 4TH OF JULY 019.jpg
    GREEN MOUNTAIN GRAPE HAPPY 4TH OF JULY 019.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 19
  • GREEN MOUNTAIN GRAPE HAPPY 4TH OF JULY 025.jpg
    GREEN MOUNTAIN GRAPE HAPPY 4TH OF JULY 025.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 24

vermontman

Your welcome Dave C!
KALAMATA RED MOVING ALONG
39 days into flower the fragrance is now decidedly fruit, candy. amazing, sweet cannot even pinpoint what kind,
the biggest of the three ladies hermed pretty heavy so chop chop.
I suspect these would be better in tropical environment where they could grow bigger.
But that being said also may preform better as clones as most pure Sativa need more chronological aging to fill out thicker denser buds. This may be a god candidate to knock up a Hawaiian Sativa.

Attachments

• KALAMATA RED MOVING ALONG 001.jpg
    KALAMATA RED MOVING ALONG 001.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 24
  • KALAMATA RED MOVING ALONG 002.jpg
    KALAMATA RED MOVING ALONG 002.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 22
  • KALAMATA RED MOVING ALONG 005.jpg
    KALAMATA RED MOVING ALONG 005.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 20
  • KALAMATA RED MOVING ALONG 006.jpg
    KALAMATA RED MOVING ALONG 006.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 24
  • KALAMATA RED MOVING ALONG 014.jpg
    KALAMATA RED MOVING ALONG 014.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 20

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
That KR is a real beauty Vermontman. Where did you source the seeds, from Tropical Seeds?
I would think a climate like California would suit it better than tropical climate, no? Greece being Mediterranean.

vermontman

That KR is a real beauty Vermontman. Where did you source the seeds, from Tropical Seeds?
I would think a climate like California would suit it better than tropical climate, no? Greece being Mediterranean.

Hello Randy!
Thank you!

Actually I just meant any where closer to the Equator outdoors, in full sun. But yha! the Meditteranean would be perfect.
These were shipped to me direct from Greece From a gentleman on here handle Red. His only request is I donate $1.00 to the muscular distrophy fund, to help his son. I was so taken back by his humble request,

I donated a 1/4 of my first seed sales, last year to the cause, which had a base in the UK.
Red has since dropped off of here, and i have not heard from him again.
He did say the seeds came from handed down farther to son grower team from in the mountains there.

Last edited:

harvestreaper

Veteran

never been to cali but last time i was in kalamata it was 40 degrees its more like a middle eastern arabic climate you can see libya or egypt or one of those countries with the naked eye from some areas there

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looked up Kalamata and it is 37 north for latitude with elevation of 0 to 22 meters. So sun should be mild or moderate there. Gives me hope if it is a psychedelic strain as it grows in such conditions. That is assuming that it is really grown there and not just sold there.

Dog Star

Veteran
Looked up Kalamata and it is 37 north for latitude with elevation of 0 to 22 meters. So sun should be mild or moderate there. Gives me hope if it is a psychedelic strain as it grows in such conditions. That is assuming that it is really grown there and not just sold there.

You wrong about sun that is moderate or mild.. hole Meditteran
area have some very good sun amounts,with lot of places that
have 300 days of sun per year like some Croatian islands..

and Croatia is on north compared to Greece so they need to
have some very hot Summers and pretty great and dry Automn
time where plants have huge amounts of sun and no problems
with humid to finish outdoor..

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I understand about the sun there. Up in the mountains it is much more intense or close to equator. I am in California and still not intense enough except in the mountains to compare to some areas.

Dog Star

Veteran
I understand about the sun there. Up in the mountains it is much more intense or close to equator. I am in California and still not intense enough except in the mountains to compare to some areas.

Close to big water surfaces climate is very mild and frostes are
almost impossible,think here specialy on Meditteran area..

here we have Adriatic North,in Winter you can look at first
mountains and sees upstair in hills there is lot of snow..
while when you come on coast that is 20 km away from this
mountains you will sees there is no snow at all..

big water surface acts like radiator and doesnt aloud those
snow appear in those same area that is very close to this
mountains that surrounds sea and coastal area..

Kalamata is hot,dry and windy with a huge amount of sun days,
plants that grow there naturaly are full of essential oils and
terps... think its a perfect climate for growing huge ass sativas
that will give you stone of yesteryear..

And those legendary stone i haved in 90ies was only comparable
to what Delicorganic and Red told about this strain.. its like laughing
gas that you cant stop to laugh once you try her effects..

we called it trip-weed cause a feel was almost same.. laughs till
your abs hurts..

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I lived in California in the 70s. With a little luck with the weather the last month of ripening, the sun is plenty strong enough, even in November or December. Back then, world class California homegrown was common. That was a time when world class weed was still being imported so comparisons were side-by-side. It is the genetics that have gone haywire due to hash strains becoming popular and rampant hybridization. I moved there just in time to experience the great pure sativa/ganja weed being grown there. I brought a couple of pounds of Colombian Red with me because I was afraid I would not find the top quality weed I was accustomed to. I'm a pot snob. LOL. Colombian Red was a very good grade weed, but not world class like Thai Stick or Jamaican ganja, in my opinion. I found Thai Stick, Cambodian Red, and local homegrown in the Central Valley of California. I saw the plants, how it was dried, and how it smoked. The art of the cure was the only thing that might have been lacking. I wound up selling most of the Colombian Red so I could use the money to buy the highest grade widely available in California at the time. I moved from the Midwest where it took good connections to find great weed. California was where much of the good weed was getting smuggled in, and it was also being grown in an excellent climate. I could not believe how common great weed was. I was in heaven.

I don't mean to be rude, but when it comes to growing weed there are so many misconceptions. I feel it's important to pass on what little I know. I was lucky to experience some history, but unlucky to be so old now. Haha.

T.B.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The sun in California is weak compared to Hawaii. If grown on a mountain in Hawaii it is not even close. Hawaiian strains grown in cali were a pale imitation and most Mexican. Bodhi talked about this effect as he lives here in cali. He called it 'Mexican light' for Mexican seed grown in tents or outside.

As I said, high elevation can make the difference despite latitude. Some strains are still very good without the killer sun. Highland Mexican x Blueberry, Nanan Bouclou, Panama Red worked for me grown in a tent.

harvestreaper

Veteran
its not mild its brutally hot dry etc it must be perfect in the mountains kalamata is not a huge area and its mainly used by greeks for holidayng etc we did not see any other non greek tourists there and were visiting a friend who lives there you could not just go there and score kalamata weed they keep it close not to mention if the police catch you ,,you might end up in a midnight express situation real fast lol so my point is nothing is sold there for tourists pretending to be kalamata weed they dont really want you to have it anyway lol theres plenty of albanian weed all over greece for the tourists in the busier tourist areas ,ive not had the kr but vermontman man has a real gem there if its like the weed i smoked there and is of very high quality and very hard to aquire as i pesterd my friend several times over the years for some beans lol

harvestreaper

Veteran
Kalamata is hot,dry and windy with a huge amount of sun days,
plants that grow there naturaly are full of essential oils and
terps... think its a perfect climate for growing huge ass sativas
that will give you stone of yesteryear..

And those legendary stone i haved in 90ies was only comparable
to what Delicorganic and Red told about this strain.. its like laughing
gas that you cant stop to laugh once you try her effects..

we called it trip-weed cause a feel was almost same.. laughs till
your abs hurts..

exactly and that stuff is pure laughing gas and it effected everyone in our group the same , true about the oils to seemed evident in the fruit and herbs in the area to ,,i was lucky because prevuois to my visit id been throwing a tantrum to my friend about needing something to smoke when in greece he was like ill take care of it i wasnt expecting much so faithlessly took my own anyway what a surpise i had when he produced a large bag of lime green super sticky sweet buds that left whatd id brought on the compost pile lol i would agree the laughing aspect is trippy as its powerful but the sense of well being and happiness was profound to not in anyway scary like trippy weed can sometimes be ,,thinking about it i really need to make friends with vermontman lol

ThaiBliss

Veteran
The best and most potent weed I ever smoked I grew indoors. When I grow a plant indoors, and move it outside, I have to place it in speckled sunlight for a few days to acclimate it to the intense sun. This prevents the intense sunlight from blanching the leaves dead. The bright sun turns the leaves white. How can weak indoor metal halide light, compared to the sun, grow world class weed? Because genetics is the most important factor.

I would agree that there are minimal light/climate requirements, but I disagree that there is a direct/tight correlation between light intensity and potency. Doesn't Bodhi live in coastal (foggy) California? I'm not arguing any location in California is as good as any location in Hawaii. I'm saying that the inland valleys of California and Southern Oregon that are classified as "Mediterranean" climate are sufficient for the production of world class sativa smoke on par with Hawaii or Thailand or any other well known locations/cultures for growing premier quality weed.

Having said this, if I was picking the best spot I could find for growing weed in the United States, I'd look for a dry spot with consistent strong sun and cool nights. The lower elevations of the Sierras just outside of the central valley in California would be ideal. It would be better than half of all of Hawaii. This is because large swaths of Hawaii would suck due to too much rainfall and clouds. The area around Kona Hawaii would be fantastic. Hilo Hawaii would suck. Coastal California would not be the best due to fog. It seems you have to get about 15 miles inland off the Northern Californian or Southern Oregon coasts before it gets dry enough, depending on location. I'm not that well versed in Southern California coastal climates. Hawaii, Kona, would be the best because it would be suited to the very longest flowering strains from anywhere in the world. Growing Thai in California would not be consistent due to the wet season encroaching on the full ripening period needed.

I can say without a doubt that I smoked weed grown in California that was as good and potent as any I smoked from Hawaii. Other experiences may vary, obviously. LOL I grew weed indoors that was as good as any weed I smoked from Thailand/Laos, and I practically worship the Thai Sticks I smoked back in the 70s. I'm not sure I've heard anyone argue that Hawaiian weed was better than Thai weed. Both were world class.

Last summer, the best weed I grew ripened in mid November. It is stronger than the strains I grew that ripened in early October, when the sun was significantly more intense. I'm far enough north that light intensity drops off fast in the fall, and the weather turns quickly also. As an aside, I'm growing a Laos strain right now that has a lot of menthol aroma and it reminds me, look and smell, of old school Hawaiian. I'm THRILLED about it! :biggrin: Hawaiian weed was killer!

No disrespect to Bodhi. He knows good weed. Big Sur Holy Weed, and SAGE, a variation of Big Sur Holy Weed, is very high quality smoke. I LOVE them. They are no where near the most potent cerebral Cali weed I have ever smoked. I'm not even sure where Bodhi grows. If he grows near the coast, it is not the best location and it would be understandable that growing along the Californian coast would produce inferior weed than the best areas of Hawaii or Mexico, and yes... the inland valleys of California.

As always, making broad generalizations gets us in trouble, and can cause misunderstandings. Being long winded doesn't seem to be the cure either.
:laughing:
All I can do is relay my direct experiences from 50 years of growing and smoking.

ThaiBliss