What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Returning to the classics - Widow & Skunk recommends?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Holy road kill White Widow thread Batman!

Again we have people talking about things they were not present for. I don't understand that.

Anyhoo, White Widow. Around 1997 we grew some seeds from an unknown source, as it wasn't like it is today. It was a friend drove to Canada and came back with seeds. Who knows who actually bred those seeds. The results we what I call white widow.

Medium plants, dark green, fairly uniform, medium to wider width leaves. She would start building resin as a seed lol. Potent. Wrecked, cloudy, blasted, red eyed couch pilot, etc. And the plants from the seeds we made were similar. That cutting eventually went to clone heaven. It had that acrid taste and the smoke had an acrid scent. In smelled powerful. Flavor was like a hint of sweet metal, earth, acrid, and a ever so slight lemon, not enough to say so, but came through on better grown specimens.

In 2009 I was handed a cut of WW. Guy said someone told him it was black widow. This cut reminded me of some of the narrower leaf plants that came from the f2 WW we made in the 90's. It had pieces and parts of the Widow I remembered. Another friend grew Beanhoarders Black Widow Classic seeds and presented me with a bud that could have been off the clone I was given two years previous.

I would start with Beanhoarders Black Widow. He has descriptions and has separated the strain into individual lines.

As for the rest, Nirvana WW is a nice plant, has hints of widow, but is like most other Skunk Widow crosses. Meh. This was 10 years or more ago and I'm not convinced Nirvana has the genetics they used to as I am growing Nirvana plants right now.

Dutch Passion, Greenhouse, White Label, etc all seem similar to each other yet different than Black Widow.

If Mr. Nice created WW, why don't they offer WW seed?

Paradise has a superior Widow to the above, yet similar , and displays that leafyness Paradise plants always put out.

Seedsman. I have grown a lot of Seedsman Widow as it's all they give for freebies. It is a nice Widow Skunk cross that seems related to all the other Dutch Withe Widows, just with their skunk male I assume they use on every strain.

I would first look into Beanhoarders Black Widow and Joey Weed WW. You should find something you like.

Here is Seedsman White Widow fem

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
In smelled powerful. Flavor was like a hint of sweet metal, earth, acrid, and a ever so slight lemon, not enough to say so, but came through on better grown specimens.

Try white label WW regulars(I only grow them) it is like your description.

There are different phenos.

The one you described is also my favourite.
There are also piney/musk pheno.
And piney/musk/peach or mango.

In 10 years I bought 2 times their WW and plants were the same.
But germ rate was bad.

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Even the best Widows are not really my cup of Joe. The effect is too muddy I guess you would say. My brain is like a Ferrari and my body like a dump truck with flat tires. I don't really enjoy that effect much.

I am just starting White Label Seeds Purple Bud and Strawberry Kush.

Hempsmoke

Hey

I just finished growing my first black widows.
I must say while sniffing on the widows throughout the grow the smells reminded me of the el nino and White rhino from greenhouse. While the end product smelled different in el ninos case, the rhino smelled very close to the black widow.
Then theres another widow cross I have right now, white star. It's ww x the chronic from earth seeds (bought 2015,now defunct). It has the tastiest skunky berry smell you can imagine and can also exhibit strawberry and green apple smells.
But if let go too long or grown in suboptimal conditions the fruity smell disappears and a smell I always called "standard" takes over.
Turns out the standard smell is what black widow smells like. The bud structure is also almost a carbon copy of one of the black widows.

Can't tell if black widow is the original but it sure shares lots of traits with other widow crosses I grew.
I should mention I grew a single ww seed from greenhouse many years ago. Because of reasons I don't remember anymore I had to cut her early ,around week 6. The smoke was trash, but it had a nice flowery smell, you know,like when you walk into a flower store. It was nice,but different than any other ww cross I have ever had.
Sadly I took no clones, would be nice to grow her at least once to full maturity.

Peace

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Never done well with super. Not seen it done well either. Sheva Shanti is in that oldskool group of worthwhile plants though. It's #1 x the garlic afgan and kush. One of my favourate smokes ever.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Try white label WW regulars(I only grow them) it is like your description.

There are different phenos.

The one you described is also my favourite.
There are also piney/musk pheno.
And piney/musk/peach or mango.

In 10 years I bought 2 times their WW and plants were the same.
But germ rate was bad.

I grew theirs twice in early and mid 2000's and early 2010's and the last ones were trash compared to the originals, they lost parent stock in mid2000's I'm 100% sure..Went from indica leaning hybrid with sativa growth characteristics, to leafy sativa with totally different lemon taste and very good botritus resistance, exceptional resistance, but different plants completely. I've grown out recently Black widow from old bou stock, Mr Nice, and the plants were leaning to the sativa side of things, maybe there were two lines seperately selected for in the old days, sativa and indica? And the new white label stock is made from new parents from the other line, who knows...The black widow was not like the old widows I remember unfortunately even though it was old stock, I'm currently growing out old school genetics "Old widow 90's" apparently an s1 of an old widow clone...and the seedlings have got me very excited..they very much look like in structure and leaf like what my old widows used to look like and I have not seen a plant looking like that in a long long time..I'm hoping, holding thumbs..and will flower out asap..

The old widow was a very stable variety, I grew out seeds from the dam from late 90's and early 2000's, white label seed, and the girls were all identical, there was much over muchness as to which you kept as a mother plant..and they looked like what you saw in copies of imported high times you could occasionally get from the kilo magazine store..taste was the same each time..stone was the same narcotic, melt you into the couch and forget about the next few hours. It was very strong weed, and had an all enveloping non functional mild shroom like high..it would end your day. If we grew out 30 seeds, 2 packs and kept 16 females and flowered them out and kept some clones to mom out, we'd not bother labelling aside from widow as they'd all be the same. like clones themselves..the bubblegums were the same..seeds in those days were very stable, you'd get two or three phenos sometimes but across many strains even nirvana knock offs or f2's they were pretty stable..I am hoping these s1's are close to form..look so so far!

Sunshineinabag

Skunk is Mex/Columbian x Afghan....So it can be fruty,sweet,catpissy and acrid....
I think that skunk found its name in catpiss overtone in skunk phenos rather then.
Afghan/skunk acrid,sour smell.

I found in skunk smells from some kind of half haze smell fruty,earthy....to burnt rubber,acrid...and creamy sweet lemon....
Skunk and every other strain are not standarised so my skunk1 can be very different than your skunk 1.
Dutch breeders sell skunk when you were playing on kids playground.
Just my 2 cents.

I am only 47 yrs old but I distinctly remember the old skunk chemovars having a heavy heavy garlic/skunk profile so heavy on the nose that some would retch sniffing it close up.......
had a really kind Mason from conn gift me some sweettooth#4 he grew and it had a garlic chemovar I've yet to see agsin....im losing sleep over things I've had and not realized what I had sorta speak

Sunshineinabag

Holy road kill White Widow thread Batman!

Again we have people talking about things they were not present for. I don't understand that.

Anyhoo, White Widow. Around 1997 we grew some seeds from an unknown source, as it wasn't like it is today. It was a friend drove to Canada and came back with seeds. Who knows who actually bred those seeds. The results we what I call white widow.

Medium plants, dark green, fairly uniform, medium to wider width leaves. She would start building resin as a seed lol. Potent. Wrecked, cloudy, blasted, red eyed couch pilot, etc. And the plants from the seeds we made were similar. That cutting eventually went to clone heaven. It had that acrid taste and the smoke had an acrid scent. In smelled powerful. Flavor was like a hint of sweet metal, earth, acrid, and a ever so slight lemon, not enough to say so, but came through on better grown specimens.

In 2009 I was handed a cut of WW. Guy said someone told him it was black widow. This cut reminded me of some of the narrower leaf plants that came from the f2 WW we made in the 90's. It had pieces and parts of the Widow I remembered. Another friend grew Beanhoarders Black Widow Classic seeds and presented me with a bud that could have been off the clone I was given two years previous.

I would start with Beanhoarders Black Widow. He has descriptions and has separated the strain into individual lines.

As for the rest, Nirvana WW is a nice plant, has hints of widow, but is like most other Skunk Widow crosses. Meh. This was 10 years or more ago and I'm not convinced Nirvana has the genetics they used to as I am growing Nirvana plants right now.

Dutch Passion, Greenhouse, White Label, etc all seem similar to each other yet different than Black Widow.

If Mr. Nice created WW, why don't they offer WW seed?

Paradise has a superior Widow to the above, yet similar , and displays that leafyness Paradise plants always put out.

Seedsman. I have grown a lot of Seedsman Widow as it's all they give for freebies. It is a nice Widow Skunk cross that seems related to all the other Dutch Withe Widows, just with their skunk male I assume they use on every strain.

I would first look into Beanhoarders Black Widow and Joey Weed WW. You should find something you like.

Here is Seedsman White Widow fem

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Does it not branch out?

doyukd

I grew theirs twice in early and mid 2000's and early 2010's and the last ones were trash compared to the originals, they lost parent stock in mid2000's I'm 100% sure..Went from indica leaning hybrid with sativa growth characteristics, to leafy sativa with totally different lemon taste and very good botritus resistance, exceptional resistance, but different plants completely. I've grown out recently Black widow from old bou stock, Mr Nice, and the plants were leaning to the sativa side of things, maybe there were two lines seperately selected for in the old days, sativa and indica? And the new white label stock is made from new parents from the other line, who knows...The black widow was not like the old widows I remember unfortunately even though it was old stock, I'm currently growing out old school genetics "Old widow 90's" apparently an s1 of an old widow clone...and the seedlings have got me very excited..they very much look like in structure and leaf like what my old widows used to look like and I have not seen a plant looking like that in a long long time..I'm hoping, holding thumbs..and will flower out asap..

The old widow was a very stable variety, I grew out seeds from the dam from late 90's and early 2000's, white label seed, and the girls were all identical, there was much over muchness as to which you kept as a mother plant..and they looked like what you saw in copies of imported high times you could occasionally get from the kilo magazine store..taste was the same each time..stone was the same narcotic, melt you into the couch and forget about the next few hours. It was very strong weed, and had an all enveloping non functional mild shroom like high..it would end your day. If we grew out 30 seeds, 2 packs and kept 16 females and flowered them out and kept some clones to mom out, we'd not bother labelling aside from widow as they'd all be the same. like clones themselves..the bubblegums were the same..seeds in those days were very stable, you'd get two or three phenos sometimes but across many strains even nirvana knock offs or f2's they were pretty stable..I am hoping these s1's are close to form..look so so far!

I had a very similar experience with a different breeder back in the day, Dutch Passion's White Widow was very special back then in my opinion. I bought a pack in maybe 2002 or '03 which was amazing, very stable/consistent and actually the best cannabis I have ever grown or smoked by some margin. I also got another pack no later than '04 which was exactly the same. But sadly a few years later some labels on our cuttings got mixed up and we accidentally flowered off our only copies, it was a total disaster that I still haven't got over. I tried buying it 4 or 5 times after that but it was always bland generic rubbish. I even spoke with more than one person at Dutch Passion over the years and they all insisted it is the same genetics which is why I persevered and spent so much cash with them despite it being a waste of time and resources to grow it. Since then I have been reliably informed that their loss of genetics happened when they moved their operation from Holland to Spain. This included their Mazar which was also excellent, nearly as good as their widow and the second best cannabis I have ever grown.

Whoever held the breeding stock must have known how special it was, even if only from a commercial point of view, so I find it hard to imagine how it could have been lost unless there was some sort of accident or legal issue. The same is true for Sensi Seeds, their stuff used to be amazing but it's just laughable these days, I recently grew their silver haze, every plant is completely different, the only consistent attribute is their averageness.

Like you I couldn't ignore Old Widow 90's from Old School Genetics. And I too am excited by what I'm seeing so far. The growth rate and vigour in veg are the best I've seen for years and I have three individuals on flower, the oldest is currently on day 52 and is very promising. I don't want to go too far with my comments yet but it is looking and smelling good at this stage. But the next one which is only three days behind (day 49) is a lot spindlier and doesn't smell much. The third one is only on day 34 so it's too early to say but it's not as spindly as the dud one was at that age. Honestly I don't care about consistency, I only need one to be proper WW and I will be extremely happy.

I tried to register an account to post this and I was surprised to find I already have one that I don't remember making! I have no idea what my username is supposed to mean though? It's possible I just mashed the keyboard due to an imagination failure...

Dimajones-AICC-

Veteran
There is around Spain a WW cut from 98 that is very good. Resin coated, 65 days and the kind of rotten smell WW used to have. Not exactly the same in taste.
It’s been plenty used for females S1 hybrids for Morocco hash productions between 2010 to 2015. It brings a huge waves of pollen and stables S1 progeny, not dominant at all on hybrids, but kind of watering down the receiver traits.

Best WW in seeds atm -
Look for Icmag old member Texas Kid.
@Tkbeans_, @aka_TexasKid, @xseedsco_, they are S1 reproductions and hybrids from Lonestar’s (Texas Resin Company) old seed stocks.

They are truly amazing.

His Sharon WW S1 is a great old WW representative.
Got a pheno we called Baby Puke, y’all can guess the terps. Annoylicious.

My two cents.

EDEN HIGH CENTRE.

H G Griffin

Personally I'd get Beanhoarders Black Widow which is already split into phenotypes ('classic' may be what you're after), or Joey Weed's White Widow... both are supposed to be the old school version of the strain.

The skunk I do not have much knowledge about.

That is very interesting to read. I also sought out a Widow, and those are the exact two (even got the 'classic' Black from beanho) that I ended up with in the vault. I haven't tried either of them yet, but this post has me even more excited to get them in the rotation.

The only WW I've tried were fems and autos from, IIRC, Seedsman. I liked them, but always prefer to seek out the originals, or as close as possible, as regs.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
So I must try beanhoarders and joey weeds next, add texas kids to the list too...but old school genetics are looking on point...My old widow mom made bigger buds with slighty less bud leaf than these, but these are for all purposes as far as I am concerned from the same line I used to run late 90's early-mid 2000's...I am stoked with the results from the Old School Genetics 90's widow..I am pretty sure it is an s1 of a plant that was sister to my old mom...Some of them are as frosty as anything is today...I was pleasantly surprised with all the results from growing out seeds from "Old school genetics"..As much as we have tested, they have all been on point and as described as on the package...Here is a pic of the 90's widow x Exodus, which is an old skunk..so keeping on topic, old widow AND skunk LOL..

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211023_160937.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	17979172

Happy Times

So I must try beanhoarders and joey weeds next, add texas kids to the list too...but old school genetics are looking on point...My old widow mom made bigger buds with slighty less bud leaf than these, but these are for all purposes as far as I am concerned from the same line I used to run late 90's early-mid 2000's...I am stoked with the results from the Old School Genetics 90's widow..I am pretty sure it is an s1 of a plant that was sister to my old mom...Some of them are as frosty as anything is today...I was pleasantly surprised with all the results from growing out seeds from "Old school genetics"..As much as we have tested, they have all been on point and as described as on the package...Here is a pic of the 90's widow x Exodus, which is an old skunk..so keeping on topic, old widow AND skunk LOL..

looking on point there MJ! A few more weeks to finish?

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Now 5 1/2 weeks in, that picture taken a little while back...I'll go get a new pic or two tomorrow...Looks like going to be 8-9weeks done, probably 10 weeker indoor..The greenhouse is entering summer so 24hr temps are high and light is hitting well over 1000ppfd I'm sure, so shit all going a bit quicker than normally would..

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Now for something different...Different to the old widow that I used to run, most of these are very sativa leaning, the widow line used must have been very sativa...but frosting up early and nice and smelly..I've crossed the simply irresistible (nlhaze s1 x I.S.S.(nlhaze x SPG) with a male of this and the kids were leafy, but so smelly and tasty and very frosty though not early..And there were some girls that came out smelling like a sweet acrid bubblegum and sandlewood/menthol haze and roadkill rotten meat I shit you not..So obviously a very old skunk and widow line used in these, probably from before the ones that I know which were more refined, more pretty..but these are stinky..But very sativa, only stuff as sativa in this test is the Mullimbimby pink kush cross and sams original haze x skunk..These are 3 girls in the pics. Old skunk, or its ancestor's, influence in the sawtooth leaf is obvious in them if you got the plant in front of you.. I see in in old skunk lines and old haze/hybrid lines, even if no skunk in them, and I dont see it in thai lines that I've seen so I assume its a colombian influence?

Click image for larger version  Name:	WidowSkunk 06.jpg Views:	14 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	17984024
Click image for larger version  Name:	WidowSkunk 01.jpg Views:	13 Size:	60.4 KB ID:	17984025
Click image for larger version  Name:	WidowSkunk 03.jpg Views:	13 Size:	73.4 KB ID:	17984026
Click image for larger version  Name:	WidowSkunk 02.jpg Views:	13 Size:	63.0 KB ID:	17984027
Click image for larger version  Name:	WidowSkunk 05.jpg Views:	13 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	17984028
Click image for larger version  Name:	WidowSkunk 04.jpg Views:	13 Size:	62.7 KB ID:	17984029

Last edited:

Joey Bliss

what about aloha widow? isn't that best widow around? tasty one, spicy earthy fruity. hits like hammer.
Hazeman has a few 98 aloha WW cross with them all have a98ww as the father to other clone only a. Got a few packs the Aloha WW x cheese and Great white shark x 98 aloha WW and they both were super dank I mean seriously pungent. 1 that was taller and had like 2 foot kolas smelt like liquorice and skunk And the other was just a real dank earthy smell. Also - pheno was. Awhirlwd phlotaxy meaning she had 4 branches per node crazy plant

childofmelee

Being a S1 Old Widow 90's pheno's quite a bit and there is variety. I grew out ten a couple of years ago.

How did your run of Old Widows 90 go? How many plants did you grow and did you like the effect?

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
The plants were epic, I would agree 100% that they were S1 from a cuts from the same sensi widow I used to grow back in the day 20 years back, true to form 100%. Some plants more frosty than most modern, good strong weed. Though..there were one or two obvious duds from the get go..and testing showed us they were hplvd positive, and all other old heirloom cuts we tested from multiple continents, were positive, so I'm assuming the old hoarded 90s cut too is positive, that the breeder used. But hey pretty much most available batches of seed/cuts IMO are infected, so no matter the seed one must be prepared with applicable protocols for germination to prevent cross contamination.