What's new

Resinous males AF or not.

Bighill

I would like to get a discussion going about resinous males AF or not.

How late have you seen resin show up on your males?

Is this really as rare as everyone thinks?

Any info on the subject and or pics would be great.:thank you:

I'll start it off.:wave:
This is a Bluehimilaya. This male was really put to the way side for some time, he was the only male from a five pack. I actually used his pollen ages ago, but for some reason i kept watering him. Good thing i did as he formed some resin very late in flower. It makes me wonder if i have axed some really good males in the past. Now that i see his potential i am trying like mad to collect some pollen. He is holding his goods close!

He isn't the most resinous i have had, but he is 1 in about 56 males i've gone through the last while, most haven't showen ANY sign of resin.

Anyone else have something to share on the subject?
Bh.

Bighill

I was hoping you'd chime in. I wish mine had as much resin as that one. I have been following your posts about it. I am curious what the progeny will look like from it! Herm, normal, male/female ratios ect.

Did yours' have resin from the get go? Or did it take longer to form?

Andyo

Veteran
Resinous male afghani

Resinous male afghani

A friend had a male afghani smelt really strong was covered in resin on the stems as well its pollen was put with a Chimera C4.
Im testing the seedlings now ,16 days old .
We shall see

norwegian

In the book Marihuana botany by Clarke or something,not shure, this is mentioned…
Had a LR2 male that was actually quite potent - or
maybe it was a Diesel ryder?
Now this is very interesting! :laughing:

Muddy

I've never let my males go that long, killing them off after getting pollen. I'll leave some go next grow and see what kind of results I get.

Good info, thanks.

NHMI

I never let em grow out all the way either but have seen a few pics of males that were nothing but trichs, but I don't get the significance....is it cuz males that are gooey crossed with a gooey female will give a gooier final product? Seems logical, just wondering. I remember a long time ago I read a book that said the casing of the seed has the most THC of any part of the plant per volume of plant matter in comparisson to THC...I vaguely remember reading male flowers are potent too but just not much to smoke so not worth it, though I had dismissed them both to myth until I saw a pic of someones purple male here that had more trichs than most loaded nugs, just trichs upon trichs so now Idk, seems there may have been a lil truth to it....I wish I would have let my ww male go long enough to pollenate, I got a few saks that looked decent and I seeded some bud but then found one of my females hermed a lil and had a single pollen sack so idk if it was a straight up cross or if it was pollenated by my Royal Dayne and Baby breath freak cross....though they smell so different it should be easy enough to figure it out once it is flowering....I saved some short mix auto pollen and some Russian Rocket Fuel, so I am gonna pollenate the Snowryder with RRF and the fruity supposed white widdow with RRF and see what the result is...hopefully I can get an auto with the fruity flavor of this plant....

For a weed I never realized how complex the art of cultivation can be....nice male too by the way...

Bighill

I don't usually let my males go as long as this one did. I will be adding a few more weeks to my males from now on :)

I am making the assumption that this guy is going to help boost resin production in his offspring. I would think since mom and dad are both resin producers it should at least be a dominant trait in the cross. Since both BH mothers are nice and frosty, I hope to get some nice progeny.

His flowers aren't the biggest how-ever. In many cases potency isn't tied to yeild, so i hope i'm on the hot botton here.

I've only smoked male flowers once, but this may be #2, i think i might save some pollen sacs and some plant matter, dry it up see how potent he realy is. Ither that or maybe i do some ISO extranction on the resin see if it even has THC in it.

Bh.

vicious bee

Did yours' have resin from the get go? Or did it take longer to form?
No it didn't. It looked like a good male. I saved pollen from it but it really started putting out the resin when most of it's flowers had dropped pollen. I would have cut it if not for the fortuitous thread "Successfully cloned a AF" which popped up just before I was going to cut it. It's still growing. Haven't done anything with it yet. Probably tomorrow I'll look at it real good and decide what to do.

norwegian

No it didn't. It looked like a good male. I saved pollen from it but it really started putting out the resin when most of it's flowers had dropped pollen. I would have cut it if not for the fortuitous thread "Successfully cloned a AF" which popped up just before I was going to cut it. It's still growing. Haven't done anything with it yet. Probably tomorrow I'll look at it real good and decide what to do.

Will be interesting to see the smoke-report... :jump: Not joking!

vicious bee

I've got two more. The other males are nice but not frosty like this one. Here's the best one. It's a auto Hindu Kush. After looking at several of these from three different strains of autos it seems all of them that have copious resin glands also eventually sprout pistils. There's a few on this one also. Hmmmm, maybe these are the ones to breed with. It actually looks better than the picture. The other one (STA) that I posted the picture was an accurate representation. Couldn't get this one to come out as good. Of course it's hard to take decent pics holding a small magnifying glass.
picture.php

slmndl

I hope you don't mind a comment on males,but regarding the leaves. I just don't understand throwing out good leaves,male or not.Why not see how potent the smoke is?
It must vary plant to plant (trichomes or not).Have they actually done chemical
studies recently to see how much THC is in male leaves?

Bighill

VB: You have good luck pulling those frosty mlaes... Honestly i would use his pollen too, then test the progeny.. What's to loose? They look too good to just chop down and do nothing with.

My male i posted above was bluehimilaya which is really auto blueberry x auto kush.. So my gues is that my male above was leaning more to the Akush side.

Slmndl: I don't know if anyone has put any money into it.. At my own place i have considered making hash oil from some frosty males.. They are pretty rare in my experience, so i've never had enough plant matter to make it worth my while!.

Latest posts

Latest posts