What's new

Republicans and marijuana

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I will concede democrats are also responsible for continued prohibition, my governor being one (potential) example.

Texicannibus

noob
Veteran
Sorry to hear that and I think our president is also pretty much against any sort of true legalization. I hope that we can see we all share more in common than we disagree on. I get upset when I see any sort of protestors or countrymen being put down for stating there opinion. Sometimes I dislike that opinion and am guilty of it myself Ive been known to make some very negative towards people who are racist. While the truth be that most likely those people was raised and programmed, so to speak to be that way. To me racism is ignorance as I was raised and programmed to be racist and rejected it out of common sense. So I see it as ignorance but I should not judge them as I didnt go through there programming. I tend to be a very rebellious soul and like to buck the trend and I think that has helped me look at things from a fairly objective view.

What upset me in this thread was the tea party comments I thought before it became a bash on conservatives (not republicans) it was a great discussion. Lets return to that remember conservatism is not the causation for illegality rather politics, power, money, greed ect are to blame.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have been saying all along that it is a societal issue that transcends political leanings.
Disco isn't sharp enough to grasp that concept, and would rather just continue on with his ignorant finger pointing. Very typical of the leftist, and why the micro discussion of that tactic (or is it an ailment?) is pertinent (just for the thread police's benefit).
I bet money that Disco has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the way of helping to reform MJ legislation. Not one damn thing....save for trying to blame others.

See I actually read up on the whole thing that the OP was upset about, and it was clear the reasoning behind why that little one horse town, with only three sitting council members, voted against a MMJ dispensary. Their reasoning concerned town issues that weren't MJ specific. And I saw nothing that would lead me to believe any of their votes had anything to do with their personal prejudices against MJ.
Yet folks like the young man who started this thread, and folks like Disco, have it in their heads that it is simply the Republicans that are their nemesis'.

I made the mistake of not realizing that Disco is the sort that tends to not worry about the reality of things, and would rather just push his unfounded political biased at everything. Very similar to what I saw the original poster do. I see a pattern.

And I also asked the OP what HE has done to advance the cause? The paper he linked us to had a section for comment, yet NOT ONE person left any sort of comment on the issue...including the OP!
Why bring the bitching in here and blaming republicans, when you won't even take the time to protest (or even comment) in your own place? If he were so fucking upset with the republicans on the council (all two of them) why didn't he voice this displeasure?
I mean, it is a one horse town....surely his words would have been read?

See, I have never defended the actions of the republicans when they legislate against MJ.
But, for a city council to vote against a MMJ Dispensary, and state reasons which are valid and had nothing to do with MJ predjudice, I hardly find any sort of reason to blame their actions simply on the "republican fight against MJ".

Others want to throw stones at the republicans because they often time have religious sorts on their roles. Again, the blame will go out to Christians too...it has already been eluded to in here. Wonder how many of you realize that Christians also smoke pot?
And just because the republicans often have the Christians on their side does not mean the party is a religious group. Not at all.
Hey, the democrats normally have the gays on their rosters...do all you male democrats suck dicks? I mean, surely you do, yes?

No, this is not a political issue, and neither party has any verbiage in their charters about it. It is a societal issue that is only going to take informing and education of the masses.
With folks trying to fight the fight using (unfounded) partisan finger pointing, it will never get anywhere.

*Just a thought...
Maybe, just maybe...the MJ fight has been fought by the wrong sorts for too long? I mean, if all we have are folks like the OP and Disco fighting the fight, and using unfounded partisan politics as their only tool, then we should perhaps think about using another method. Because their method sucks ass. I mean, they want to divide us. Great strategy right there!

Yes, I think it really is a big part of the problem....the folks that represent us are often times way loony and have biased bullshit in their heads. I think we need to have better representatives that that...if we are going to get anywhere that is...

Last edited:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's exactly the argument.

That's YOUR stupid babbling, nothing more. Nobody brings that spin to the debate except you. Absolute mentality, the thing you're famous for.

Sorry, this isn't a love/hate poll. When you find enough Democratic lawmakers that oppose reform like all the Republican lawmakers posted in this thread, you'll have an argument. Until then you're just whining.

When Republicans seek public office and proceed to obstruct mj reform, your comment above is about as moot as it gets.

Then you and your friends will be wise to educate yourselves about your respective representatives. Check their stance on mj reform or you may regret who you vote for. Pay particular attention to Republicans. They're particularly the ones making the news and thwarting reform.

If you prefer to stick your head in the stand and assume your "mold" jazz, don't be surprised if the rep you vote for throws a kink in your reform hopes.

And you're full of it. The op never psychoanalyzed Republicans, they brought current events to back up their statements. Unlike your "I am sure is just a kid" worthy assumptions. You are the poster-boy of "unfounded prejudice", hypocrisy and projection. :biglaugh:

Go back and read again. Republican lawmakers are thwarting reform. Then go stick your head back in the sand.

Now that's a bunch of crap, the whole thing. Republican lawmakers are thwarting reform and you're defending it, plain and simple. You can deny or you can defend but you can't do both, unless you're just striving for consistency, lol.

Forget what I said about avoiding prohibitionist lawmakers, even if you seek reform. You're obviously willing to allow Republicans the benefit of the doubt on that subject.
Incoherent liberal drivel.
I'm just curious...do you have the ability to form your own paragraphs, or is all you can muster are little one liners of drivel in response to others reasoned posts?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
If medical marijuana were to pass on a national level, would insurance companies be required to provide it?

I bet they look for a loophole.

Kathleen Sebelius warned the insurance industry Monday not to look for loopholes in health care legislation and informed it that she will be writing regulations to ensure that the industry covers children with preexisting conditions, which some insurers insist is not a requirement of the law.

"The American people debated and discussed health insurance reform for more than a year. Congress and the President have acted. Now is not the time to search for non-existent loopholes that preserve a broken system," writes Sebelius, the Health and Human Services Secretary. The letter was sent to top insurance lobbyist Karen Ignagni on Monday and provided to HuffPost by a third party.

President Obama made the ban on denying children with preexisting conditions a central part of his argument in the closing weeks of the reform fight, saying that kids would be protected almost immediately after the bill passed. (The rule would activate in six months.)

But insurers argued that what the law really said was that if they choose to cover children, they must cover expenses arising from preexisting conditions. But they claim that doesn't mean they have to offer insurance at all to that child. Without a public insurance plan for children to opt in to, their only choice is the private market.

Sebelius's letter is an attempt to persuade the private industry to follow the spirit of the law. When Congress returns after the two-week recess, progressive Democrats will again be looking at ways to add a public option to the law. By threatening to refuse to insure sick children, insurers only make the case that much more persuasive.

Maybe the market will sort it out fairly.

On a side note... I think the number of politicians actually "in favor of" legalization of marijuana is relatively low, but that number is not the important one. The important number is obstructionists who actively oppose legalization, the majority of which are by far republicans.

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
I think it's fair to say republicans have a big hand in keeping it illegal.
Look at Minnesota
House and senate pass an MMJ bill, public support is huge behind it, basically all that was left was for republican govoner tim pawlenty to sign off on it and it's law, and what does the cocksucker do? Vetos it, because he thinks he will be president one day, so F**K what the people who elected him govorner want, because this POS has his own agenda and plans for the future.
F**K him and 90% of the republicans with him.
Self serving bastards is all most of them are IMO

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I hardly find any sort of reason to blame their actions simply on the "republican fight against MJ".

I'm not blaming Republicans bro. I'm blaming the entire ESTABLISHMENT because that is what we are working up against.

This blame game of pointing figures at each party and trying to assign some specific numerical value to which is more culpable is a lose lose situation.

Yes, it has been more so the Republicans than anyone else (by a large margin), but much more so it's the establishment of the federal government that operates as one entity now and has for a while.

If we can never get past this kindergarten recess school blaming bs and pointing fingers we are never going to get anything done as a country and will stay stuck inside the box they've put us in to argue about crap that amounts to nothing in the grand scheme of things.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pawlenty stated other reasons for why he vetoed the bill, specifically opposition by state law enforcement. I am not defending his actions, but I don't know that you can pin them on what you perceive as his reasoning.
So, do you feel that any candidate on the ballot that has voted for MJ legislation will not be a viable candidate in the presidential election?
F**K him and 90% of the republicans with him.
Self serving bastards is all most of them are IMO
So, this is directed at 90% of the population that is republican, or for politicians? If the former, then we don't really need kids like you fighting the fight for us.

I think we are seeing what the true problem may have been for so many decades now...
It is all becoming more clear the more we see you folks post up and enlighten us.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gramps that is what I have been saying all along...it's a societal issue and not supported or defended by any party line. Nothing about it exists in any mainstream political charter.

The divisiveness that the left likes to play is only serving to lengthen the battle. They simply do not comprehend united we stand. Always the blame game and always a victim. And always...no matter what...they are never wrong and everyone else is all fucked up.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
The divisiveness that the right likes to play is only serving to lengthen the battle. They simply do not comprehend united we stand. Always the obstructionist game and always a victim. And always...no matter what...they are never wrong and everyone else is all fucked up.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
There you go using others materials and calling them your own, Chuck.
lol...typical

No I was just correcting a typical gross error on your part.

I don't hate any republican... politician or citizen. I just think the 'rank and file' republican citizen is just too full of fear and their 'self preservation' instinct overrides their ability to think reasonably.

Thing is... civil service minded college kids that want to make a positive difference in the world go on to become democrat politicians (or join the peace corps), college kids that want to be professional politicians go on to become republican politicians (or LEOs).

Dems want to make the world a better place.
Repubs want to make the world a more profitable place (for the wealthy).

Marijuana legalization may not be a part of the democrat platform, but it does not conflict with their agenda... It does interfere with the republican agenda.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I find it enlightening to see your actual view of things.
Your perceptions are pretty fucked up, but it seems a fairly typical representation of what seems to be a theme in the liberals thinking process.
Always blanket statements from you people...mainly because you think you have it all figured out and no other view could possibly come from a true critical thinker and intellectual such as themselves.
Thing is... college kids that want to make a positive difference in the world go on to become democrat politicians, college kids that want to be professional politicians go on to become republican politicians.
If you ever do mature intellectually, you will realize that making statements like that are really from the mind of a simpleton with a very narrow view of things. You will also recognize that living your life with your fucked up perceptions as your gauge was a big problem.

What a world you live in. You seem to think that division is fine. You have stated as such by telling us that you don't find anyone with a different mindset from yours to be worthy of your pot seeds. I think that is a pretty fucked up way to look at things. Another that should not be involved with the fight for MJ legislation change.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
LMAO... yer too funny hoos... too funny. My views are pretty enlightened, though... thank you.

All you ever do is argue with the straw man you wish i'd presented. My statements stand on their own without your spin.

I never said I do not find some particular group or person worthy of my pot seeds. That's just more typical desperate straw man spin from the peanut gallery. I said I do not give a rats if they exclude my seeds from their perspective purchases because THEY DON"T AGREE WITH MY POLITICS... You have an amazing talent for getting everything ass backwards.

And of course division is fine, unless you live in a totalitarian state there are going to be different views being discussed and will rarely ever be political consensus... I guess it is clear that you think we need a conservative dictator based on your comments. What a world you live in.

I think you have a pretty fucked up way of looking at things... all bass ackwards.

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
Pawlenty stated other reasons for why he vetoed the bill, specifically opposition by state law enforcement. I am not defending his actions, but I don't know that you can pin them on what you perceive as his reasoning.
So, do you feel that any candidate on the ballot that has voted for MJ legislation will not be a viable candidate in the presidential election?
So, this is directed at 90% of the population that is republican, or for politicians? If the former, then we don't really need kids like you fighting the fight for us.

I think we are seeing what the true problem may have been for so many decades now...
It is all becoming more clear the more we see you folks post up and enlighten us.
I think some of the problems come from people with a superior attitude who like to assume things.
Kids like me, lol, I know how old you are and were only a few years apart.
Law enforcement was the lame excuse he fed the angry public(in MN) who supported the issue, and he's not trying to hide his desire to become the republican presidential candidate, and you better believe he weighs every decision he makes today based on his plans for tomorrow, and vetoing MMJ was one of them.

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
Anybody want to guess which city's federal building gets it next? It's a matter of time before a Beck fan/Dittohead takes action..
even when the point of the thread is explained to you on here, you still seem incapable of understanding the point. What is so difficult to understand?
fox news, palin, o'reilly, hannity, beck the list goes on, how can anyone defend the actions being taken by these people..
just puzzles me hoosier how you can defend the republican party..

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
You can always tell when you're making a point when somebody forever changes your argument. I'll break it down even further for ya hoos.

#1 - Lawmakers are thwarting reform, it's a fact and reported in the media.

#2 - These lawmakers are all Republican, save one that hasn't done anything against reform.

#3 - If you want reform, consider your elected officials stance on reform before you vote for them. They could be the one that changes your plans.

It's not just about keeping score. Republicans are moral police.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
Everyone knows Republicans love the drug war and Democrats are hippies who want to legalize pot. Right? Not necessarily.

Milton Friedman and William F. Buckley are probably the best-known republicans to oppose the war on drugs, and they did so with eloquence that's seldom been matched across the political spectrum. Both men have passed however, and it's often assumed that the party of limited government and state's rights would remain strangely, yet steadfastly invested in the infinitely costly and oppressive war on drugs.

It's not that there aren’t notable exceptions; Ron Paul's rapid rise to national fame in 2008 demonstrated the vigor of libertarian-leaning conservatives who craved an opportunity to cast a vote for drug reform in the republican primaries. In addition to Paul, prominent conservatives Grover Norquist and Tucker Carlson have been strong supporters of reform (watch Carlson TKO drug warrior Mark Souder on MSNBC, for example). But the GOP's reputation as the party of braindead drug war demagoguery nonetheless remains cemented in the public consciousness thanks to the anti-drug posturing of party leaders like Rudy Giuliani, John McCain and Mitt Romney.

Recent weeks have brought some encouraging signs that the drug policy reform argument is gaining ground with conservatives. FOX News' Glenn Beck recently interviewed Marijuana Policy Project's Rob Kampia and then came out in support of marijuana legalization a week later. Beck articulated the role of marijuana prohibition in subsidizing Mexican drug war violence in a segment that came off as remarkably pro-reform for FOX News. Proving it's not a fluke, we also saw LEAP's Norm Stamper on FOX News' Red Eye program delivering a superb indictment of the war on drugs that had host Greg Gutfeld nodding in agreement.

Meanwhile, conservative commentator and former presidential candidate Pat Buchanan penned a column last week quoting Milton Friedman and questioning the very foundations of the war on drugs. Though not thrilled about the idea of legalizing drugs, Buchanan suggests that Mexico's survival may depend on ending the drug war. Like Glenn Beck, Buchanan had not been previously known to support reform and seems to be getting the message now that the failure of prohibition in Mexico is becoming a threat to our own national security.

Status
Not open for further replies.