What's new

Reporting from Seattle, A Smoker's Perspective

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
Never been in WA...looks really nice! Might I point out the bro factor? Where I'm from is a good mix, wheres the darkness up there homie ?!? Peace babeh

Seattle has a very nice mix of all cultures, heavily leaning Asian. I met a Brazilian girl here and they are a lot of fun. Technically I am not white myself, although that is what they called me in the old country (Caballo Blanco). Funny I have not been called that in 20 years.

This picture is walking distance from my townhouse.

picture.php

huligun

Veteran
Just like Always I would not try to do illegal things with strangers.

1. It is legal to smoke someplace private. I have smoked many times on the street and in public, but I know I am risking a possible citation if caught. I have not blown smoke in a cops face. They actually seem to be pretty friendly now and maybe they enjoy the heat being taken off of them to enforce that stupid old racist law.

2. It is Not legal to buy or sell, and those kinds of things are felonies. I have no first hand experience so far, but acquiring weed seems to be the limbo area. Since my moving her (September) most of the weed I have gotten has been from dispensaries. They seem to be everywhere and I have several people that are medical card holders. If you can befriend one of them scoring shouldn't be a problem for an out of towner. Prices are about 10 USD per gram, sometimes less.

I do think Headshops do attract a lot of attention and hanging around one, especially with out of state plates on your car may set you up for unwanted attention from the police.

huligun

Veteran
Mercer Island apartment complex bans pot, even in tenants' own units

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Mer...bans-pot-even-in-your-own-room-185707642.html

Washington’s new marijuana law says you can smoke pot in your own home – or does it.

Owners of a Mercer Island apartment complex have notified residents that they are not allowed to smoke pot or cigarettes in their apartment units and they’re required to report their neighbors who do.

“It’s scary,” said resident Alexander Aversano. “It affects my way of life.”

Aversano is a medical marijuana user who uses a smokeless cannabis oil to treat back pain he incurred during the Iraq war in 2005.

“It’s like the Gestapo,” the Army veteran said of the three-page notice management at the 77 Complex placed on tenants' doors Thursday night.

The letter by Abode Management, LLC of Renton says marijuana use and possession is prohibited in the building. It also says apartments can be searched if management gets a written notice that a tenant has been using pot.

The letter asks tenants to sign the agreement not to use marijuana or cigarettes or face eviction.

“I don’t do that anyway, so it doesn’t bother me,” said 77 Complex resident Tim Bursey.

Abode Management did not return KING 5’s calls for comment.

Hillary Bricken, an attorney at Canna Law Group in Seattle, says the legality of the notice is like much of the marijuana law itself – unclear.

She says whether apartment management can legally enforce such a clause is likely a matter that the courts or the legislature would have to decide.

Aversano and his girlfriend say they’re not signing the lease amendment and will wait to see what happens.

huligun

Veteran
Mercer Island apartment complex bans pot, even in tenants' own units

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Mer...bans-pot-even-in-your-own-room-185707642.html

Washington’s new marijuana law says you can smoke pot in your own home – or does it.

Owners of a Mercer Island apartment complex have notified residents that they are not allowed to smoke pot or cigarettes in their apartment units and they’re required to report their neighbors who do.

“It’s scary,” said resident Alexander Aversano. “It affects my way of life.”

Aversano is a medical marijuana user who uses a smokeless cannabis oil to treat back pain he incurred during the Iraq war in 2005.

“It’s like the Gestapo,” the Army veteran said of the three-page notice management at the 77 Complex placed on tenants' doors Thursday night.

The letter by Abode Management, LLC of Renton says marijuana use and possession is prohibited in the building. It also says apartments can be searched if management gets a written notice that a tenant has been using pot.

The letter asks tenants to sign the agreement not to use marijuana or cigarettes or face eviction.

“I don’t do that anyway, so it doesn’t bother me,” said 77 Complex resident Tim Bursey.

Abode Management did not return KING 5’s calls for comment.

Hillary Bricken, an attorney at Canna Law Group in Seattle, says the legality of the notice is like much of the marijuana law itself – unclear.

She says whether apartment management can legally enforce such a clause is likely a matter that the courts or the legislature would have to decide.

Aversano and his girlfriend say they’re not signing the lease amendment and will wait to see what happens.

I have been following this story, and it is bigger news than may appear. For private entities to make decisions on the law is not allowed. A flat out no-smoking clause at the signing of the lease is one thing, but trying to add to a lease or any other binding contract after the fact is not legal ever for anything.

I have seen that there are many people in that apartment that do not use cannabis that are not signing it. If they gave that agreement to me to sign, I would give it back to this after using it in the bathroom (trying to keep it clean and respectable here, but this is bs).

Thanks for everyone reading and posting on this thread. These are indeed exciting times. Like the start of a revolution that is actually getting some traction.

C

Chamba

I said, "This is not public, this is my back yard."

I had some friends over and they said a few other things that are not so respectful of a lady that freaking old.

I told her to mind her own business and continued smoking.

A couple hours later there was a seriously hard knock on my door. I opened it up to see the Seattle Police! For a second I was startled, but it passed once I got my perspective in order.

Didn't your mother ever teach you how to behave? You and your friends upset an elderly woman with rude, arrogant, smart assed back chat like (regardless that you and your punk friends were within the law), wow all I can say is that you are extremely lucky that it was a couple of polite police knocking on your door and not some rightfully angry son. How you would feel if a couple of wankers spoke down to your mother or granny in the same way?

We all make mistakes and are wise in hindsight. In this case it would of been easy to turn that situation around into a win-win by being polite and winning her over with a few "yes. ma'ams" and then carried on with your little party....now you have a situation where a neighbor hates you and that's probably the least of your potential problems.

Freedom comes with responsibility. Here's what you should do........write a neat note apologizing for your rude behavior and in future promise to be a more considerate neighbor (there's no need to mention smoking or laws) and place the note in her letter box or on her door...I guarantee this will win her over and she will be on your side from then on. Though, I doubt that you will, of course, cos you sound like a punk, but then again, I can only hope her son gets back from Afghanistan tomorrow and pops around to have a friendly little chat with you. I can only hope.

Last edited:

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
I like Washington, cool state though...makes it that much more appealing now, but it's hard to move when you've been one place soo long...it's gonna be rad , just like in CO. have fun and smoke herbs all day every day..legally :)

Though, I doubt that you will, of course, cos you sound like a punk, but then again, I can only hope her son gets back from Afghanistan tomorrow and pops around to have a friendly little chat with you. I can only hope.

Well that was pretty uncalled for although a little discretion with the neighbors probably would be a good thing, i.e. sex is legal too:biggrin:

huligun

Veteran
Man I cannot believe I have just been insulted about defending my legal right to smoke weed.

Now I never personally said anything too disrespectful to that lady but to mind her business. If I poked my head into someone else's patio I would expect the same. She was not polite to me and claiming that I was breaking the law. She challenged me on that respect and I won. I was not a punk to this lady, but I cannot speak for my guest. Some people are taking the legalization with a bit too much zeal perhaps.

And if her son come to my house to discuss this further I don't have a problem really. I seem to be able to handle myself okay in those kinds of situations.

I have seen her at the mail box tree and I have apologized. Perhaps I should have mentioned that here. I told her much of what I just said, how everyone has a bit of a chip on their shoulder after so many decades of prohibition. Perhaps they are a bit over zealous about defending their new found respect. Weed smokers are not just a bunch of dirty, long haired war protesters that you can dispatch because they smoke weed Mr Nixon.

Several factors pobably at play here. I've lived in several situations over the years where people are in close proximity and conflict arises. Sometimes it's about partying but it often just boils down to the fact that people are inherently territorial. A neighbor who is faced with a group will usually start off feeling defensive anyway.

She has probably soaked up a lot of propaganda, cultural bias or maybe even actual negative encounters with "stoners". As people age they feel more afraid and grow more conservative in most cases. Best course is to be firm but respectful, especially when living in an area with close quarters. Man I miss Seattle and Vancouver.

"Man I miss Seattle and Vancouver."

why? not depressing enough where you are? jokingly...

I was one of those media-manipulated fools who went out there in 1996 after seeing a HT cover story on Vancouver. I camped out there in Aug/Sep so didn't get to experience the depressing grayness. Went back the following summer. For years after I had the same dream over and over of climbing this huge mountain of a sand dune overlooking the ocean that was intimately familiar, but when I'd wake up I'd realize it didn't exist. That's why I miss it.

Latest posts

Latest posts