What's new

renting commercial space

slipperysamus

Just out of curiosity... Why are so many people worried about 'staying under the radar' with their power usage? Ive seen homes constantly drawing 100+ amps and at least here in Ca, so long as the exorbitant bill is paid on time no one gives a shit. No one can view your power usage records without a court order.

Has anyone ever had to use 'welding, ceramics, computer equiptment' as an excuse? Its not like someones going to show up one day asking why you use so much power, how would they know?

Y

yamaha_1fan

If the warehouse is not used as a business, I dont believe it needs inspection. I have had several warehouses, The first one I had 2 years, no inspections, the second one 3 years, no inspections. Both of these were low profile, no signage. Some of my neighbors were musicians, document storage for a large company, storage place for boats, cars and all sorts of toys, and some other things. There were no business with lots of traffic. The last warehouse was in an industrial park where we pulled city and county licenses, had signage up, and had plenty of business type neighbors.

The point is, you have to find the right area, not a big industrial park.

Call the city and find out if they require inspections for non business use.

In hindsight, I wish I had done this in those spaces.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Yamaha: good info. I'll throw you some + rep. if I'm not all maxed out (LOL). I'll have to check into that.....I would LOVE to buy a warehouse that's purportedly "not for business". The only deterrents I would have are the traffic around it, the security and of course the inspections as I mentioned. Maybe a commercial real estate agent would know off the bat if something required inspections?
Now is the time to buy....when the whole market is on the fritz....can pick up things DIRT cheap...could be the next million dollar grow op.

Y

yamaha_1fan

Its not like you have to open up for the fire inspector. You can tell him the rooms are locked, can he come back at another time, you are about to leave, etc. He may not be happy but I dont think he can do anything, worst case give you a fine.

Hell you can call the city and probably schedule an appointment for the inspection. If its going to be done, might as well be on your time frame.

Make the grow easily removeable. Tables on wheels, buckets that can be removed, etc.

I suggest finding an area with smaller warehouses, and driving around. I drove around for a week before I found a place I liked.

I wouldnt talk to a realtor about the inspections, you really need to get that from the city. If the property is large enough for a realtor to be involved, saying its for non business use will be a red flag.

Commercial financing is different than residential. Usually you have to have 20% down. 100% owner financing is not common. And commercial property is much more money.

Also look at a place much larger than you need. A 5000 sq ft warehouse and using 1000 sq ft for growing would be great. Your electric bill would not even be high.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Yamaha...thanks for the info and the kind PM. Very informative. Always love to see your input. I think I'll be looking into this more seriously. As far as the 20% down, I was thinking about buying it outright however.

Unionman

yamaha_1fan said:
Its not like you have to open up for the fire inspector. You can tell him the rooms are locked, can he come back at another time, you are about to leave, etc. He may not be happy but I dont think he can do anything, worst case give you a fine.

Hell you can call the city and probably schedule an appointment for the inspection. If its going to be done, might as well be on your time frame.

dully noted allthough If the building dose have a sprinkler sysem in it somtimes the check valves on the system riser that detects water flow can fail and send a whole crew of firemen/wemon to the wherehouse to put out a fire that isnt there, of course you can tell them to leave and theres no fire but only if your there. Seen it happen when I was working on a Hospital

Im not at all saying it cant be done just trying to point out some possible obsticals. I just happen to know some stuff about the Fire dude. :joint:

V

vhGhost

yamaha_1fan said:
Its not like you have to open up for the fire inspector. You can tell him the rooms are locked, can he come back at another time,

Make the grow easily removeable. Tables on wheels, buckets that can be removed, etc.

If you have a warehouse you can pull a moving truck in and load up everything and have the inspection the next day and cary on.... Paint booths are very easy to convert to a grow... and just as easy to take down ...

:2cents:

Latest posts

Latest posts