What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ReikoX's Workshop 2017

Bmeupscotty

Good shit ReikoX,
love the bare bulb vert scenario !
Have you ever thought about trying one of these new LED lamps that look like a cob of corn to replace the hps ?
CC

I've been waiting for someone to do this... I'm working on it but I am mostly out of commision with a back injury. Don't want to disrupt a great thread while I'm getting my feet wet here, but I posted a pic of a similar bulb (with a little twist) on blynx's thread.

Love the thread ReikoX, just started posting but I've been lurkin.😎

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I replied to on the other thread. It can't hurt to try them, but I'll stick with HID for vertical and LED for horizontal. :tiphat:

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Here are the party cup autos. They got transplanted into fresh soil from the perlite. the bottom 1/3 is still perlite to give them a reservoir. They already look better. We will see if autos really have an internal clock or if it is number of nodes/maturity that will determine when they flower. The one with the plant stake is confirmed female ;)
picture.php

In other news, I got the SolStrips and built out the light. The cheap driver was flaking out on me, I smacked it like an old TV and it started working. I'm not too comfortable using a power supply like that. After a 12 hour test, temps got up to 93F. So, I am going to order a dimmable ballast for them in a couple of weeks. I may run them instead of the vertical bulb, I'm still exploring my options.
picture.php

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool light fixture you whipped up there!
What is the K value of the lightts?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Cool light fixture you whipped up there!
What is the K value of the lightts?
4000k on the sides, 5000k in the middle. The "heatsink" is an aluminum baking sheet.

I ran them last night without the CMH and temperatures were 75-82. So hopefully I will get to run them with a dimmer for young clones.

M

Mr. Sparkle

sounds like your ballast has a cold solder joint, if smacking it makes it work again, yeah definitely replace or take a look at the solder/wire connections

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I'm just so proud of how fast these girls have recovered. They are probably a week or two behind. I'm interested when they will start to show pre-flowers. Last time, They started showing sex by three or four weeks, which is about where they are now.
picture.php

I got a new temperature controller. My old one was a DIY job using a regular home thermostat. The problem with that one was it was taking the temperature at the plug which is about 3' below ground level. This new one has a probe that I can move around, currently about 7' up in the of the room.
picture.php

The PC is just doing it's thing. I put the thermostat back in the PC since the DIY temp controller got upgraded. The Crystal Candy is getting more and more mature flowers. I am seeing a few seeds on the tops of colas, so it must be working. I'm likely going to have seeds in the stuff that is flowering in here now. I'll just call it a new project and carry on. I'm not sure what happened to that La Diva on the right, she got super lanky on me.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Winter usually causes me quite a bit of grief when it comes to cloning. I found this little nine site EZ Cloner on Amazon, and thought I would give it a try. I first put it together and cleaned it thoroughly with bleach. Once sterilized, I filled it up with tap water and added the Clear Rez product. Apparently this is simply watered down calcium-hypochlorite, or pool shock. Add one gram of this to one gallon of water to make the stock solution. This is then added at one ounce per five gallons of water. Re-add every three days. I forgot to adjust the pH to 6.0 like the directions indicated. I may do that today, I may not bother. It is filled with some pretty big clones (at least for me) of Ancestral Skunk #1.
picture.php

Here is a shot of the whole veg area. Up front we have the Skywalker OG taking off at about two weeks veg. I began training her to the screen and tucking fan leaves. To her right, is the short and stalky Adonis, also at two weeks. I've not yet flowered either of these varieties. I've had both of these clones for quite a while now. Never ran them. I'm getting some nice funk off the Skywalker right now. On the right are the Bubba Kush S1 that have been in veg forever. I just topped about 2/3 off of them, not sure if they will ever make it to flower. Glad I culled her, though most of my problems were probably soil related.
picture.php

Here are my Zak Haze girls after about two weeks of flowering. Getting super excited about these, they are looking great compared to last round. They should be done stretching by now. She is definitely my favorite girl in the garden right now.
picture.php

Here is the rest of flower. It's getting pretty full in there! Back right are Bubba Kush S1 that are five weeks. Up front are the Bubba Kush S1 that were planted three weeks later, making them two weeks old. They were topped because they stretched like mad. I usually wouldn't, but I wasn't even going to flower them so meh...
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
This week's update is looking much better. Wait, what? Weren't these starving and barely alive a week ago? Watch out, they are loving the organic soil and ferments! They are getting watered every two to three days right now.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
My mothers were getting really close to the light. Normally I would trim them back at this point, but I want to take some larger clones soon. I've been somewhat lazy and simply bottom feeding them the last few days. It's working out quite well actually.
picture.php

Since I don't need to clone on top of my light anymore, I decided to mount my light directly to the ceiling. I removed the bulbs and the reflector, drilled a couple of holes in the top, and screwed it directly to the ceiling. I then put back on the reflectors and the bulbs. Now I have quite a bit more height for my moms
picture.php

Siskiyou

Veteran
Very impressive bonsai skills. A very well-organized collection of madres in apparently excellent health. Nice work!

Last edited:

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
The autos in the PC are finishing up. Some of them would be finished, but they were pollinated a little late. Ideally I would like to give them another two weeks to finish. My plan is to basically let them die on the vine.

Regardless, I'm sure I will get more than the original 10 seeds I started with. Check out the crazy tall La Diva, she's all foxtails. They are really small, next time I will use bigger pots in here. I need a break now though, so the PC will be dormant for a while.
picture.php

In my upstairs bathroom are the original Crystal Candy on the left and the La Diva on the right. I've been collecting pollen for the last few weeks. I'm trying to decide if I want to make more feminized auto seeds, or if i should just throw it in the freezer for later. The Crystal Candy has fully started to revert back to female. I manually pollinated her and will let her finish producing some S1 seeds in here.
picture.php

My party cup girls are getting to be a good size. That middle one looks like she's going to be that lanky phenotype. I mean look at those long internodes. These are the ones I'm debating making more seeds with. I think I will pass on it. Once these finish up, I will be retro fitting the filing cabinet into a drying cabinet.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Optimizing production for the new year

Optimizing production for the new year

It's getting to be the end of the year in my workshop. I like to reflect back and see if there are any areas for improvement.

I currently have two different flowering areas that I am trying to maintain. My main cab has my no-till bed and a 250W DIY LED. I have been getting around 100 grams per cycle. Typically, I would get rooted clones and start vegging them in there for three or four weeks before flipping to 12/12. Then they would get flowered for nine or ten weeks. Then I would dry them in there. Often, I would have to wait a couple more weeks for the next round of clones to root before being able to reset. This basically makes a cycle take roughly four months, or three harvests per year. 300 g/year is not cutting it. By simply drying in another area and resetting immediately, I should be able to get a fourth harvest in each year, even at 100 grams per cycle, that's an increase of 33%!

Looking back at my notes, I had a good harvest in February with some nice buds. Then I got my autos in there a mere three days later! The next cycle was the auto seed run. I ended up with about 75 grams of seed and 50 grams of ground up cannabis that got made into hash. That was the middle of April. Then I decided to build my DIY COBs and my cab spent about 30 days without any plants in it at all. The next round started in May and ended in August yielding another 100 grams or so. Then I decided to upgrade to no-till and the cabinet spent ANOTHER 25 days with no plants in it while I got rid of my thrips issues. This last harvest will not complete before the new year, but should be around the second week of January. I only harvested about 250 grams out of that cab this year.

This is the reason I built that second cab at the end of last year. I started out the year running a perpetual SOG on the left side and cycles on the right. On the left side, I was running the perpetual SOG coliseum up until May or so, I'm not quite sure how much that yielded. The workload running 30 plants in a perpetual coliseum was just to much for me, so I decided to try running cycles on both sides about two months apart. I put some autos in there in May, and they ended up being mostly males, so I put the Jilly Bean girls in there to veg as they flowered. The Jilly Bean girls and auto flowers were harvested in September yielding about 75 grams between them. I was able to reset immediately putting the Bubba Kush S1 in there. Those will be harvested in a couple of weeks and I expect them to yield about 25 grams. Three weeks after that should be the Zak Haze and again another 25 grams. If I can keep up 25 gram harvests every three weeks, that will end up with 425 grams per year. On the right side, I started up some Holy Grail 69 in January and harvested it in April. That yielded about 50 grams, then that side ended up empty for about 30 days. In May I started some Zak Haze and harvested in August. That yielded another 50 grams or so, then I got it reset in a mere five days for the BBK S1. Around this time I decided to start running the left side perpetual again, so this side became my veg side. So by the end of this year, the second cab should yield about 225 grams this year.

The filing cabinet had two boon harvests. One was Zak Haze for 60 grams and the party cup hempys yielded about 20 grams. All totaled up I harvested about 550 grams this year. My goals for this year are to reset my cabinets quicker and possibly increase my yield per harvest. I hope to break 1000g this year. My legal limit is 230 grams every three months, so close enough to 1000g/year.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I hope you can break your goal for grams this year. Hearing about your goals for the year makes me consider what Id like to get accomplished with the time I have as well. Too much wasted time in my garden, and not enough work getting done!

Btw, you should just sleep on the couch, and use your bedroom as a new growing space. Think of all that space! :biggrin:

It's getting to be the end of the year in my workshop. I like to reflect back and see if there are any areas for improvement.

I currently have two different flowering areas that I am trying to maintain. My main cab has my no-till bed and a 250W DIY LED. I have been getting around 100 grams per cycle. Typically, I would get rooted clones and start vegging them in there for three or four weeks before flipping to 12/12. Then they would get flowered for nine or ten weeks. Then I would dry them in there. Often, I would have to wait a couple more weeks for the next round of clones to root before being able to reset. This basically makes a cycle take roughly four months, or three harvests per year. 300 g/year is not cutting it. By simply drying in another area and resetting immediately, I should be able to get a fourth harvest in each year, even at 100 grams per cycle, that's an increase of 33%!

Looking back at my notes, I had a good harvest in February with some nice buds. Then I got my autos in there a mere three days later! The next cycle was the auto seed run. I ended up with about 75 grams of seed and 50 grams of ground up cannabis that got made into hash. That was the middle of April. Then I decided to build my DIY COBs and my cab spent about 30 days without any plants in it at all. The next round started in May and ended in August yielding another 100 grams or so. Then I decided to upgrade to no-till and the cabinet spent ANOTHER 25 days with no plants in it while I got rid of my thrips issues. This last harvest will not complete before the new year, but should be around the second week of January. I only harvested about 250 grams out of that cab this year.

This is the reason I built that second cab at the end of last year. I started out the year running a perpetual SOG on the left side and cycles on the right. On the left side, I was running the perpetual SOG coliseum up until May or so, I'm not quite sure how much that yielded. The workload running 30 plants in a perpetual coliseum was just to much for me, so I decided to try running cycles on both sides about two months apart. I put some autos in there in May, and they ended up being mostly males, so I put the Jilly Bean girls in there to veg as they flowered. The Jilly Bean girls and auto flowers were harvested in September yielding about 75 grams between them. I was able to reset immediately putting the Bubba Kush S1 in there. Those will be harvested in a couple of weeks and I expect them to yield about 25 grams. Three weeks after that should be the Zak Haze and again another 25 grams. If I can keep up 25 gram harvests every three weeks, that will end up with 425 grams per year. On the right side, I started up some Holy Grail 69 in January and harvested it in April. That yielded about 50 grams, then that side ended up empty for about 30 days. In May I started some Zak Haze and harvested in August. That yielded another 50 grams or so, then I got it reset in a mere five days for the BBK S1. Around this time I decided to start running the left side perpetual again, so this side became my veg side. So by the end of this year, the second cab should yield about 225 grams this year.

The filing cabinet had two boon harvests. One was Zak Haze for 60 grams and the party cup hempys yielded about 20 grams. All totaled up I harvested about 550 grams this year. My goals for this year are to reset my cabinets quicker and possibly increase my yield per harvest. I hope to break 1000g this year. My legal limit is 230 grams every three months, so close enough to 1000g/year.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I hope you can break your goal for grams this year. Hearing about your goals for the year makes me consider what Id like to get accomplished with the time I have as well. Too much wasted time in my garden, and not enough work getting done!

Btw, you should just sleep on the couch, and use your bedroom as a new growing space. Think of all that space! :biggrin:

I have a big ole basement, Its about 14'x20".I have to wait for the kid to get out! The workshop is just one room down there.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Here are the Skywalker (back) and Adonis (front) girls at one week. They are just now starting to form some flowers. I haven't flowered either of these out, so I have no idea if I vegged them long enough or not.
picture.php

Here are the Zak Haze girls at four weeks. I thought they were over vegged them, but it looks they will yield well. This is one of my favorite strains right now. So I'm getting pretty excited for them to be ready. It produces a beautiful rosin with great yield.
picture.php

Finally here are the Bubba Kush S1 girls at 7 weeks. They are doing pretty well, should yield about 1/2 ounce each. That's been my average in this cab. Once I get things rolling, I hope to increase that.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
The autos in the PC are pretty much done. I was waiting to mature the seeds, but not sure how many there will be. If I get 10 seeds out of it, it's a wash.

La Diva 1 and 2 are the shorter phenotypes. They both faded to a dark black/purple color. They both also have a fruity smell to them, and a decent trichome coverage.
picture.php

picture.php

This is the Low Ryder also short and purple.
picture.php

The La Musa, she is probably a week early, but I got too lazy to maintain this last one.
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts