What's new

Ethiopian sativa

Sensistar42

Interesting, dubi said the lemon wood
There's pine for sure but it's very faint. I think when people read pine they expect something like rosemary or Christmas tree smells. The ones I had weren't very smelly. I read someone describe the smell while flowering as Green Banana and that is a pretty good descriptor in my opinion.

I made crosses with a musky, funky and loud mom in my stable and what I got was a sweet and minty, turpentine aroma in flower for one and a less sweet one with a little more herbal notes in the other.
Was that cross eth x eth?

burningfire

Veteran
Was that cross eth x eth?

Nah it was NCH3 x ETH. NCH is a cross I've been dragging along for close to 12 years. It's loud, sour and funky. It's high in caryophyllene. It was a fun experiment to cross it with the ETH.

ETH has this sweetness to it, if you have ever had gum called mastic, it's a natural gum people chew, it's slightly sweet and piney. That was amplified in the cross and brought on a sweet spearmint candy like smell to the cross.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
For those that wanna know how they smell, some while ago somebody asked me and I wrote this:

The smell reminds me a lot of Durban Poison from Dutch Passion. A popular outdoor strain for Western Europe with bad falls (like Germany or the Netherlands).
It is similar to Haze, but less pungent. It has this kind of Diesel smell (like haze strains). I personally think that Haze smells less pungent than Diesel, but similar. And this one is also like this but even less pungent than the Haze smell.
And it doesn't have liquor smell like DP but more citrus smell. Some DP phenos had a pineapple smell, but this one does not have it (at least none of mine). The citrus smell is a bit sour (like a SLH), but also fruity like a skunk.
The phenos are quite similar and there is none that shines out from the smell. But I did not directly compared them and obviously not cured them for a decent comparison.
However, #7 is significantly slower and different than the others, it may develop a different aroma later. I will let you know that for sure.

My experience with Durban Poison is limited to Dutch releases (Dutch Passion and Sensi Seeds) from more than 20 years ago and they indeed had liquorice aroma/taste. This Ethiopian has woody, piney, citrusy terps. Such type of terpene profile is quite common in psychoactive landrace sativas. Haze has a citrusy phenotype (better known from HazeC offspring), but most other Haze terpene profiles are much more complex than plain piney-citrus.

El Timbo

One of mine is much shorter and more heavily flowering than the other 3 - they are all branchy though.

DSCF0730[1].JPG

endgegner

My experience with Durban Poison is limited to Dutch releases (Dutch Passion and Sensi Seeds) from more than 20 years ago and they indeed had liquorice aroma/taste. This Ethiopian has woody, piney, citrusy terps. Such type of terpene profile is quite common in psychoactive landrace sativas. Haze has a citrusy phenotype (better known from HazeC offspring), but most other Haze terpene profiles are much more complex than plain piney-citrus.

I only tried the Dutch Passion version, too. Outdoors in Germany. I would also say that hazes have a chemical smell, but not as strong as a Sour Diesel, but similar, espeically with citrus terpenes.
I actually had one lower branch that fell of and let it dry and it had a woody, piney subtle note, but the citrus smell was dominant. Now it also less fruity (probably to being already dried) but still a bit. The fruitiness goes along with the woody, piney smell (that you know from kush strains). But it is way less dominant and I am happy about that. I do like piney smell / taste, but not woody.

Popey

Veteran
Hello. The world's smallest Ethiopians :LOL: are doing well. The first pollination took place today. This means that I will have enough seeds by June 15, when I leave. Then I will collect the seeds and plant the female plants in the garden (in mid-June, the photoperiod in my town is over 16 hours of light). When I come back, I will take clones, root them and start growing them seriously to have some weed to smoke :)

eth male.jpg

eth fem.jpg

Last edited:

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
And that's the reason I prefer fresh weed.

"Findings show that at the fresh, planted state, a cultivar has the highest expression of monoterpenes like Beta Myrcene, Alpha Pinene, Beta Pinene, and Limonene. After one week of drying and curing, each of these terpenes decreased significantly — Beta Myrcene content decreased by 55%."
and this is why i like weed that has been aged for months and months.

Thanks for your support @weedsmoker420 looking forward to follow your adventure with the Ethiopian ;)
Thanks dubi! It's gonna be a long one. I don't think I'll have enough space to sex them and then flower them out once they're mature. I'm not sure if I should veg them until they are mature enough to show sex on their own, take clones, and flower those clones, or if I should take clones as early as I can and put them on short light hours until they show sex, then take more clones from the female plants to flower out...either way, yes it will be an adventure :p