What's new

Refusing Knock & Talk's?

B

British_Bulldog

Please note: sometimes smelling something that smells like it may be cannabis is not always enough, especially if the smell is light smelling and fruity instead of the traditional 'skunky' or 'hashy' smell they are trained for, and they also need your admission that it is cannabis. NEVER ADMIT ANYTHING!

You may think this is weird, but believe me, I know it does indeed happen...

Peace

StonedCrow

Never, ever, never answer the door. Use that precious time to hide what you have to hide in a place that can't be found. Make them bust the door in.

Nothing good comes from letting them in. :Bolt: :Bolt:

B

British_Bulldog

StonedCrow said:
Never, ever, never answer the door. Use that precious time to hide what you have to hide in a place that can't be found. Make them bust the door in.

Nothing good comes from letting them in. :Bolt: :Bolt:

Opening the door and talking to them, and letting them in are two completely different matters.

Sometimes, talking to them, and making them think it's not worth their while proceeding with the investigation is the best way to go.

It's a fine line to tread, but if you don't open the door, then they'll just keep watching and digging for more evidence until they can get a warrant.

If you can nip this in the bud, it can save your skin.

whodi

Veteran
I know it's the laws that are fucked and not so much the cops.. but some of the cops are fucking crooks. They try to say all kinds of shit to bust someone with MJ. Sad.

If they can't get enough evidence on their own to get a warrant, then i say they have no right to be bothering you.

Last edited:
B

British_Bulldog

whodi said:
I know it's the laws that are fucked and not so much the cops.. but some of the cops are fucking crooks. They try to say all kinds of shit to bust someone with MJ. Sad.

That's not being a crook, that's just being a regular cop - they are tricky bastards, and will say anything to get in the house. You have to be on your guard and not believe anything they say. The story they tell you will usually have something to do with shocking violence or an escaped fugative seen entering your premesis. Just be calm and 'reassure' them that there is definately nothing like that going on in your house, so there's no need for them to come in and check....watch them squirm and try another angle next...

B

British_Bulldog

whodi said:
If they can't get enough evidence on their own to get a warrant, then i say they have no right to be bothering you.

Then you would be seriously naïve to think that..

whodi

Veteran
Yeah i don't think that, but that's how i wish it was :) guess im jsut venting cause of the shit they put people through.

Y

yamaha_1fan

How many of you have been involved in a criminal case where search warrants and illegal entry were key components of your defense????

I have. Twice

Cops have 3 ways to enter:
Your permission
A search warrant
Exigent circumstances

Smell is not exigent. They cant just bust in cause they say they smell weed. Destroying evidence is exigent and they may use that.

Okay here is the the thing, just the fact that they say they smell MJ is probabable cause like Verite said, and guess what, that is all they need. Cause all they need then is a cell phone, and they have their warrent, it's not like they have to actually go get the warrant all they need is a judge on the other end of the phone.

Wrong. They have to fill out an affidavit. The officer that saw or witnessed the acts, must sign the affidavit, then it must be taken to a judge and he must sign it. Then they have to come back with the warrant and show it to you. The warrant application is several pages and has lots of details like legal description of the property, address, how the building is orientated, what they saw, how they came about it, how many officers, what their position is, what drug experience they have, etc. This takes time. They dont just write " I smell weed"

If you open the door, it gives them the opportunity to lie and force their way in. Theres no physical proof of how it went down. If you dont answer the door, they have to make a decision. "Do I bust down the door and claim I smelled weed?" Then what if they are wrong? What if they bust down the door, noone is home, and they dont find a single gram of weed? Now how the hell do they explain the busted door? Where was this "weed" smell from?

I also find it funny on how people get a knock and talk, give up everything, then want to give advice on warrants and such. Too funny

Y

yamaha_1fan

Nothing good is going to come from answering the door. Just ignore it.

I will say it again, I had cops at my door twice in my life that I ignored. Once to confiscate a dog that animal control wanted. I talked to the lady on the phone and told her fuck off, get a warrant. Guess what? She didnt come back. If I opened that door, my dog would be dead now. As a teen I got into a fight and went into my house. Cops came I never opened the door. Had I opened the door, I would have gone to jail for sure. Never heard from them again.

If you are going to grow, get some balls.

B

British_Bulldog

yamaha_1fan said:
Smell is not exigent. They cant just bust in cause they say they smell weed.

They can, and often do, use smell as an excuse to force their way in, and it's immaterial, and very difficult to prove otherwise later, when you're in handcuffs and the police are tearing down your grow.

yamaha_1fan said:
Nothing good is going to come from answering the door. Just ignore it.

With all due respect, that's a blanket statement, and we have discussed this before in the other thread "methods cops use to check up on you" which I started.

It depends on the circumstances. In your cases, it was better for you not to open the door, whereas in my case it was better to open the door.

Sometimes, answering their knock and talk, and handling it correctly can end a police investigation right there and then, and negate the necessity for them to continue with surveillance and the investigation.

Often, if you don't answer the door, they will carry on gathering evidence, and eventually gain enough to get a warrant, and use it to bust down your door.

If you know it's them, and you don't answer the door, how do you know whether it's time to rip down the grow? Ok, you could tear down after they've gone anyway, but maybe it wasn't a knock and talk at all, and maybe you've just torn down for nothing. Perhaps it's better to play on the safe side and tear down anyway, but if you do answer the door, handle it properly, make them think that it's either not worth, or too much hassle to get a warrant, or even that they know they can't get a warrant now and continue with the investigation anyway, then you know for sure it's time to tear down.

In my case, I think if I hadn't answered the door, they would have kept on knocking and eventually stopped knocking, but may have watched what happened next. I needed to dispose of things, and doing that under surveillance would have got me caught. However, due to the way I handled them, they went away and gave up on me, thus allowing me to clear down unwatched and end the grow.

It's a judgement call, and a very fine line, but if you know how to handle the police, and are confident, then sometimes it's better to answer, but never let them in without a warrant.

Also, sometimes they want your admission that it's weed they can smell, as sometimes with a light odour and fruity strain, it's different from what they are used to, and cannot definately ID it.

However, never admit to anything, and deny everything of course.

Peace

B

British_Bulldog

Well Jeff, I hear ya, but I open the door to everyone who knocks. I am confident and capable enough to handle anything that comes, but I understand others might not be, especially if you suffer from anxiety attacks, etc.

My thinking is, if they're knocking, they're knocking for a reason and I want them to go away and never come back.

Peace

morgarrett

Cops just ask questions for you to give in. Most of the time people getting busted is because they do not know how to talk to a cops. #1 thing dont lie to cops either most of the time they know more than you. Treat them with respect don't talk back and they will do they same.

B

British_Bulldog

morgarrett said:
#1 thing dont lie to cops either most of the time they know more than you.

No, do lie to a cop, especially if it saves your ass, and look them in the eye when you do it, but don't tell a lie they know to be a lie, otherwise they will know you're a liar and will suspect you're lying about other things too.

...you can keep on knocking, but you can't come in!
-Cheech

lol......fuckers!

A gang of 6 police once led me to answer the question; ''you been smokin anything tonight, son? You're eyes are about as red as your sweater.''
I replied, ''No sir, not that I remember, but I am allergic to pork, so if you'll all excuse me, I think I'm breaking out in a rash."

....I think I laughed my 15 year old ass to sleep that night!

morgarrett said:
Cops just ask questions for you to give in. Most of the time people getting busted is because they do not know how to talk to a cops. #1 thing dont lie to cops either most of the time they know more than you. Treat them with respect don't talk back and they will do they same.

Holy FUCK that's a bold way to join the forums here!

Dont lie to cops? ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?

I'm a presidential candidate.

....oh the irony;)

Jerry Maine

This all depends depends on what country you live in, and your neighbourhood too. Frankly, it's culturally relative. If you live in the US, especially somewhere a bit rough like Inglewood, then not answering the door, or talking through it, is probably going to be looked at as fairly normal. Americans have clearly different attitudes to the police, guns, and privacy. But if you tried that shit in a middle-upper class neighbourhood in Sydney's East you'd just be raising red flags. Most of your neighbours would be offering them a coffee, so stepping out for a chat would be a lot better than telling them to fuck off and get a warrent, lol.

Just think about what most of your neighbours would do if the police showed up and try to mimic that, minus one.

Also, there are some different circumstances you need be prepared for, times you have to think on your feet. If you usually step outside for a chat, what do you do if it's raining? What if the cop comes when you're at home stoned watching the footy with friends, bong reeking and visible from the door? Got a back door? an umbrella? What time is it?

Also, how big your grow is, and how harsh your countries or states laws are, can come into play. If you're growing a couple of plants in Australia you'd only be facing an infringement notice. If you've properly stealthed your box then you can probably even afford to offer the cop a coffee and a donut, lol. I'd feel pretty confident that a cop nosing about my house wouldn't find my grow, but given the law and the neighbourhood I live in I'd go with the step outside routine.

Jerry

Last edited:

green_tea

krustytheclown said:
FWIW, the US Supreme Court just ruled that even if you are arrested improperly or on an unrelated charge, any and all evidence of other crimes they DO find can bring relevant charges. For example, if you get arrested/raided as a case of mistaken identity and your home is searched and the cops find a grow op, they can charge you with the grow even though they should not have been there.

IOW, the cops can arrest anyone for anything, bogus reason or not, and if they find anything you can get busted for it.

I don't believe this for one instant, have a link to the case? the supreme court justices ending statement?

Y

yamaha_1fan

British Bulldog you are not in the states are you? Maybe cops can use smell to enter in your neck of the woods but not here. If that were the case, LEO would never have to get a search warrant on any case. "Oh we smell weed, lets bust down the door". Well we didnt find any weed but we found 5 kilos of cocaine, or we found those stolen DVD players from the local Wal-Mart.

most cops are pussies its all how you handle them.when they talk to you if you are scared your fucked they are trained to go off your fear.If your not it makes them think twice about fucking with you.If your not scared it makes them think you have nothing to hide remember you have rights.If there knocking they dont have evidence if they did your door would be kicked in allready remember cops are lazy they want everyone to give in to them.If your the kind of person that cant handle the pressure of talking to a pussy who couldnt get a real job so had to settle on being a pig you prob should stop growing.

B

British_Bulldog

yamaha_1fan said:
British Bulldog you are not in the states are you? Maybe cops can use smell to enter in your neck of the woods but not here. If that were the case, LEO would never have to get a search warrant on any case. "Oh we smell weed, lets bust down the door". Well we didnt find any weed but we found 5 kilos of cocaine, or we found those stolen DVD players from the local Wal-Mart.

Yahama, it's ironic you should say that, because when the pigs came to my door, they did smell MJ and felt the need to ask me and my gf if it was MJ before trying to push their way in.

Having read the MJ forums for 8 years, every case I've read about where the pigs said they smelt MJ, whether it truly was MJ or not, and subsequently forced their way in, was in the good old USA.

Latest posts

Latest posts