What's new

Reftec

Permacultuure

Veteran
i believe what the hot trap is doing is ensuring that no oil lade butane goes into the pump. The best thing you can do to prolong the life of your pump is run it in vac as little as possible IMO. Ive' switched to single pass instead of multiple floods so I'm only running my pump at vac once per column, and only to -20 on larger systems. Oils and terps seem to find their way into these pumps over time, the hot trap i believe combats that.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I also spoke with Alan at air clean about this exact same issue after blowing through an appion G5 in about 2 weeks with 60 hours on it . I am on my third rebuild attempt and still not holding vac :frown:. As RB said , apparently GW and Carla from skunkpharm have been using "hot traps/ cold traps" between their collection chambers ---and filter dryers for some time. from my understanding , the butane is sent through the coils of the trap, where any residual liquid can be caught and converted into vapor thoroughly , before hitting the filter dryer---pump. this will supposedly prolong the life of the pump. I was unclear on the exact functions of a cold trap though.:chin: I have reached out to GW and carla once with no reply , however i am still going to conduct my own experiments using both hot & cold traps& try again . I spoke to a friend at bhogart that claims the use of hot/cold traps will not help. plenty of room for conjecture, interested to see some results . RB have you heard of anyone using the mt-69 specifically?

Not sure how you got missed bro, but Carla is the one running the hot traps.

GW is the one who gave up on bandaids and went to a diaphragm pump first stage, to keep the oil less recovery pump "wet".

Any heat added with a hot trap, will have to be removed again to liquify the butane, or tank pressure will be higher.

OSC401

Sorry, I misspoke.* Emailed carla specifically . Does the diaphragm pump introduce lubricants/ anything to the extract? Any insight into the cold trap, or is that to simply remove the heat from hot trap and liquify ?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry, I misspoke.* Emailed carla specifically . Does the diaphragm pump introduce lubricants/ anything to the extract? Any insight into the cold trap, or is that to simply remove the heat from hot trap and liquify ?

No lubricants introduced from a diaphragm pump.

The cold trap that Carla runs after her pumps are to remove heat from the hot trap and from pumping.

Latest posts

Latest posts