What's new

Recreational Marijuana in OR & What to Expect for Your Business (seminar Feb. 4th)

Recreational Marijuana in OR & What to Expect for Your Business (seminar Feb. 4th)

Anyone going?
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/recrea...r-your-marijuana-business-tickets-14153801401

I really like Canna Law Group, and Hilary Bricken is top notch and very smart. I've spoken with her and have experience with Canna Law Group from working in WA's I-502 recreational industry, where we retained Canna Law Group.

Canna Law Group is the go to law firm for everything business related to cannabis; it's part of the well known law firm Harris Moure, PLLC. I have been very satisfied with them thus far: http://cannalawgroup.com/services/

And CannaLawGroup's "Canna Law Blog" is pretty great, as well: http://www.cannalawblog.com/

Last edited:

petert

Well, I hope they are NOT lobbying for anything resembling Washington's F'ed up law. The state is sitting on THOUSANDS of recreational pounds, because medicinal weed is so much cheaper and easier to get. State recreational dispensaries are too sparsely located and, too expensive. Medical dispensaries are everywhere and the weed is a lot cheaper. All this law has done so far is to fuel parts of the black market.

We need to look to the north and learn their lessons.

May not be a popular idea..But I think if it's done right we overhaul the medical program. Let medical patients access their medical weed at dispensaries and let the current dispenasies transition to medical/recreational stores! ( I'm a medical grower)

We can't pit the rec side against the medical side like Washington has.

Sunfire

Veteran
A friend up in Seattle said in February they are gonna start closing medical dispensaries to allow recreational ones.more business. Just in the city though, maybe a tourist revenue thing?

If cali doesn't go legal in 2016 I'm moving to Portland to build.machines, use machines, invest as a distributor for certain companies, and go back to blowing.more glass. Too bad idk what's gonna be happening in a year. Whole industry might change by then

That sounds really interesting, I might go. I was already planning on going to the state meetings on the 29th and 30th but I should go to this as well.

A friend up in Seattle said in February they are gonna start closing medical dispensaries to allow recreational ones.more business. Just in the city though, maybe a tourist revenue thing?

If cali doesn't go legal in 2016 I'm moving to Portland to build.machines, use machines, invest as a distributor for certain companies, and go back to blowing.more glass. Too bad idk what's gonna be happening in a year. Whole industry might change by then
Seattle has given most medical dispensaries until 2016 to keep operating. It's unknown what will happen to the medical system in WA, but what's expected is it will be folded into recreational stores (in later 2016). That is, if you have a medical card you pay less (reduced taxes), and they may allow home growing...but may not, as well.

OR has a neat license called "wholesaler," where a company can buy from a producer and sell to processors, or by from processors and sell to retailers. I think this idea. I also like the idea (not proposed in OR but was in WA) of a "plant propagators" license, so people that only want to sell clones can do so.

petert

I guess my point was Beta. I think we should be lobbying for smart implementation of the law. I plan on obtaining ( or trying to) all four licenses and opening a quality mom and pop operation. I've love to attend and soak up info.

Ioni Botani

Hm. Interesting. Seems time to make a visit up north. Making moves down here too, thinking of contacting a local attorney Paul Loney... Anyone heard of him? Apparently he helped draft the law. Anyway, seems due time considering my need to deal with dispensaries and now the transition into rec. sales. I've dealt plenty with the production aspect of business, from inside the industry and out. I am, however, new to business operations as a whole: Inc. or LLC, Insurance, Taxes.... These are the areas I lack knowledge.

Last edited:

Dankstang

Seems like it might be worth the $50 bux.
I've spent 10x that in lawyer consultations, but in a different state.

Need a crash course on Oregon's laws. I'm assuming they'll talk about both medical and recreational?

Seems like it might be worth the $50 bux.
I've spent 10x that in lawyer consultations, but in a different state.

Need a crash course on Oregon's laws. I'm assuming they'll talk about both medical and recreational?
I doubt much time will be spent on medical, if any.

With most of these state laws you can pretty much figure everything out on your own by reading the laws and the regulations putting those laws into effect. A business attorney is better used when you have a good base understating of the issues, not only to save you money (so they don't tell you basic things), but also to correct them when they're wrong. (For example, one thing I don't like about Hilary is she was wrong 3 times in the past while I have worked with her.)

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
I kind of want to go but I'm not willing to spend the cash on that. If someone has an extra ticket ill meet up with you :) I'm definitely interested in the information since it could help me out with my business. If anyone goes maybe you could post your notes on here.

Mad Lab

I'm interested in what they have to say, but will hold out until they have more of an idea of what to expect.

Keep us posted.

So, that was a waste of time and money. (At least for me.) That's about 8 hours and $100 down the drain.

They should have called the seminar "Cannabis business intro 101: What to know when you're just starting out"

The speakers didn't even have much info to share about OR (because OR is still in the drafting stages), instead, they mostly spoke about WA, CO, and NV (for who knows why, NV isn't recreational and the polar opposite of OR).

I really am unimpressed. Although, speaking to other people there who liked it a lot (and comments from ICMAG members), I can see their points of view: they didn't know much about the recreational industry as a business, so it helped them a lot. I think because I've been through this whole process here in WA over the past 18+ months I didn't find the seminar useful, however, if I had attended 2 years ago I think I would have found it very useful.

What really soured the event for me was the third speaker on the panel. An attorney from NV. I stopped counting the incorrect claims he made about OR after about the 6th one I counted. I really have no idea why he was even on the panel.

The only thing that saved it for me was the IP/patent lawyer who spoke last. She was really pretty great. I learned how to get Federal trademark protection for a Cannabis business when normally that's not possible (through an ancillary non-Cannabis business under the same trademark).

For anyone who went to this seminar, or missed it but wanted to go, I highly suggest attending the Marijuana Business Daily 3-day conference (https://mmjbusinessdaily.com/conference/); it's much better, and Hillary Briken is always a speaker there, anyway. Many of the same topics are covered but in much greater detail at the 3-day event (though it's about $700 per ticket).

Last edited: