What's new

Recovery Unit, Butane Tank for Lil' Terp Style System

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i need to know what you all think about other ways to load butane into the system if you dont have a specialized cylinder ??

thanks!

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but a full system needs both the Lil Terp and another container of butane, which you flood the Lil Terp with, and recover back into. I made my own out of a 6" sanitary spool, but you can use a refrigerant recovery tank.

I like the smaller tank for the purpose, because I can transfer a known amount of butane into it, and know if I then start it flooding into the Lil Terp column, exactly how much butane is going to transfer if I walk away.

Tamisium has videos showing how he transfers butane directly from a can, to the Tamisium storage tank, without benefit of first vacuuming the oxygen containing atmosphere from the storage tank. They just float it out and purge it later.

I personally prefer to not have oxygen and butane together in the same tank, so as you may have noticed, I advocate first vacuuming out tanks and using a can tapper to load canned butane.

I may aggressively look for corners to trim when refining processes, but I've found trimming corners on safety items a poor practice, especially when you teach others, as it dramatically changes the odds with more folks doing it.

I recognize that doesn't help if you don't have a vacuum pump and can tapper, but they really aren't that expensive in the overall scheme of things.

RitualDelFuego

....Tamisium has videos showing how he transfers butane directly from a can, to the Tamisium storage tank, without benefit of first vacuuming the oxygen containing atmosphere from the storage tank. They just float it out and purge it later.

I personally prefer to not have oxygen and butane together in the same tank, so as you may have noticed, I advocate first vacuuming out tanks and using a can tapper to load canned butane....

I'm watching carefully and trying to do it right... reading almost everything I can. Sounds like the safest way to transfer solvent is under vacuum in a closed loop. Shit, i mean, that's why we decided to build the thing in the first place isnt it?

what i have so far--- everything except a can tapper :laughing:

anyone in town sell those over the counter?

RitualDelFuego

Here--- i've answered my own question.

Napa auto parts had 3 in stock. I had to look it up in their online catalog myself and tell them what part number it was before they could find it.

NWMDC

i tested it out on a few empty cans and it seems to work really well. Perfect tool for the job!

:greenstars:

ERGLS88

MASTERCOOL 50LB REFRIGERANT RECOVERY TANK-63010

MASTERCOOL 50LB REFRIGERANT RECOVERY TANK-63010

http://www.oemheaters.com/c-763-heating-tape-with-adjustable-thermostat.aspx
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Saw these today and saved the link actually.

Also @GW..... i had a question about getting butane. I bought a tank off ebay "MASTERCOOL 50LB REFRIGERANT RECOVERY TANK-63010" Do i take that to airgas to get filled or do i get a tank from them then transfer it to my tank? And this is the butane to get "N Butane Instrument Size LP5 CGA 510 N Butane Instrument Size LP5 CGA 510 With Siphon Tube " ? Thanks for the help, my tank will be here thursday(shipped to wrong address, i had so many issues ordering crap this time of ebay, first time in seven years) and by then my machine will be all put together and ill be ready to run, as long as there are no hold up from airgas, my buddy has an account for getting oxygen and propane through them for glass blowing so im hoping we wont have any issues.

Hi, can you tell me if this is this tank (the MASTERCOOL 63010) is the correct tank that has the syphon tube already in it? And that all that I would need is the CGA fittings?

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I'm watching carefully and trying to do it right... reading almost everything I can. Sounds like the safest way to transfer solvent is under vacuum in a closed loop. Shit, i mean, that's why we decided to build the thing in the first place isnt it?

what i have so far--- everything except a can tapper :laughing:

anyone in town sell those over the counter?

I picked one up from a NAPA auto store, on a Sunday no less!!!! $20 bucks and it works for about 30 cans before the tapper dulls too much and it makes it sloppy to puncture cans.

I suggest picking up 15 or 24lbs from eco gas (link available through Terps, the sponsor of the concentrate forum).

:joint:

ERGLS88

Butane column source tank capacity

Butane column source tank capacity

Yup, that will work.

Thanks GW. I have another question I'm hoping you can help with. I have this extractor that I recently aquired and am trying to determine the correct, safe butane capacity,confirmed. The tank holds 4 gal of liquid (water) by volume. At 80% fill that would 3.2 gal of butane or 15.4 lbs (at 4.81lbs/gal for liquid butane). I know this is simple math but I am quite new to this, and have learned soooooo much from your forum posts and see that you are obviously the local west coast guru when it comes to these butane extractions. Also, what is the correct solvent to plant material ratio? From what I've been able to gather it appears to be 10ml/gram.Sound correct? Soooo much do I have to learn before actually doing my first run.Thanks in advance for the assistance you offer in these forums.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks GW. I have another question I'm hoping you can help with. I have this extractor that I recently aquired and am trying to determine the correct, safe butane capacity,confirmed. The tank holds 4 gal of liquid (water) by volume. At 80% fill that would 3.2 gal of butane or 15.4 lbs (at 4.81lbs/gal for liquid butane). I know this is simple math but I am quite new to this, and have learned soooooo much from your forum posts and see that you are obviously the local west coast guru when it comes to these butane extractions. Also, what is the correct solvent to plant material ratio? From what I've been able to gather it appears to be 10ml/gram.Sound correct? Soooo much do I have to learn before actually doing my first run.Thanks in advance for the assistance you offer in these forums.

4 gallons of water X 231 cubic inches per gallon X .0361 lbs/cu in =33.4 lbs water.

33.4 lbs water X .601 butane specific gravity =20 lbs of butane.

20 lbs X .80 safety factor =16 lbs of butane acceptable.

The amount of butane it takes depends on the column ratio, the packing, material quality and temperature of the material and butane.

Usually two to four column volumes will suffice. I start with two floods and examine the material, unless I am running subzero, in case I check after four.

ERGLS88

MASTERCOOL -63010 50lb Recovery Tank valve configuration

MASTERCOOL -63010 50lb Recovery Tank valve configuration

Hi, can you tell me if this is this tank (the MASTERCOOL 63010) is the correct tank that has the syphon tube already in it? And that all that I would need is the CGA fittings?

OK, I just got my Mastercool 63010 tank in today. I have questions about the Y valve. The valve configuration is as follows, facing the front of the tank with the 1/4" male flares pointing towards me the left valve is blue and is labeled (vapor),the right valve is red and is labeled (liquid). Is this correct or is it backwards? There was discussion a while back about [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the red and blue color codes possibly being backwards but the labels being correct. I thought the standard was supposed to be blue (liquid-low pressure) on the left and the red (vapor-high pressure) on the right, similar to my gauges and the appion pump with blue being on the left (low pressure) and red being on the right (high pressure). Can anyone confirm what is correct? Thanks.[/FONT]

Chonkski

OK, I just got my Mastercool 63010 tank in today. I have questions about the Y valve. The valve configuration is as follows, facing the front of the tank with the 1/4" male flares pointing towards me the left valve is blue and is labeled (vapor),the right valve is red and is labeled (liquid). Is this correct or is it backwards? There was discussion a while back about [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the red and blue color codes possibly being backwards but the labels being correct. I thought the standard was supposed to be blue (liquid-low pressure) on the left and the red (vapor-high pressure) on the right, similar to my gauges and the appion pump with blue being on the left (low pressure) and red being on the right (high pressure). Can anyone confirm what is correct? Thanks.[/FONT]

The colors seem to be different here and there.

Just pay attention to the label.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Read the labels on the valves, because the colors differ. Stupid, isn't it?

jfinch001

I use a fitting attached to the air pump and cut a hole in a trash can lid and the trash can is lined. then blow out the columns.

easy and less clean up

Latest posts

Latest posts