What's new

Recession

med_breeder

Old Man Time said:
I suggest if any of you think our country is in bad shape....send the Economic Stimulus checks back. Tax paying Americans will be receiving $600.00 checks and an additional $300.00 for each child starting in May. If you really want to send a message.....return to sender!!!

I don't mean to be paranoid,
but I think the Economic Stimulus Checks have a purpose other than just stimulating the economy. Thousands of people who normally would not file a tax return, will this year. including some dumb greedy fugatives. The goverment will now have names, social security numbers, valid addresses of numerous people that other wise they wouldn't have had.

don't mean to sound paranoid,
but alot of dumb fugatives are gonna get pinched.

this is like when local police depts send letters to folks with warrants claiming that they have won a big prize. The perp goes to the location to recieve said prize.

Surprize!

just some thaughts.

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
Budweiser13 said:
These threads are so stupid "the sky is falling run for your life" a lot of folks think they know what they are talking about but they don't, there will be no depression relax smoke some herb... :muahaha: :laughing:

i gotta disagree.

Riots in the poorest countries already begun.

I don't think the rising oil prices are because of the exchange rate variations, they're just because those in power can get away with making a higher profit and blame it on the supposedly faltering economy

The middle east is full of countries who without oil would have nothing, they're trying to get every penny out of their oil before it runs out, as are all the investors in oil

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
la resistance said:
I don't think the rising oil prices are because of the exchange rate variations, they're just because those in power can get away with making a higher profit and blame it on the supposedly faltering economy

The middle east is full of countries who without oil would have nothing, they're trying to get every penny out of their oil before it runs out, as are all the investors in oil

Investors has no nationality. No culture. No religion.

Nothing apart their greed for money.

Marx was used to say that economy is the fundamental structure, everything else is just a secondary detail.

S

socioecologist

Statistics cannot prove anything, but they can demonstrate correlation between variables. Simple linear regression of oil price (per barrel) and the Euro between 2002-2007 is below. I use the Euro as the independent variable because it captures most of the fluctuation of the dollar over that period of time (its the best out of 27 different national currency options present in my data set). What you see is that fluctuations in the value of the dollar is responsible for roughly 63% (adj. R squared) of the variation in oil prices.

satyr

Yep and that why we dont really feel any big difference in the price we pay for gas today. The high tax is used to soften the blow from big hikes in the price or a significant stronger usd. It also made european consumers more aware of energywaste.
The good thing is that we should see a lower price or at least a stable price the next year as oilconsumption is linked to the economic activity in the world.

G

la resistance said:

I disagree. It is because of the exchange rate. Look at this way, would you rather have 10 billion euros that could buy you 10 billion, or would you want 15 billion U.S. dollars that only could buy you 5 billion. 1 dollar is worth 4 cents that is why prices go up.

satyr

Maybe its easier to understand if you look at the dollar/euro exchagerates over the years.

In the Ronny the Gunnys days i had to pay 11 Dkr for one dollar. In the Clinton years I paid around 7.50 Dkr per dollar.

Today I pay 4.70 Dkr per dollar.

The point being that the Sheiks in oilland can buy less BMW´s French lingeri, mercedes, or whatever european for the same amount of dollars, What do they do, they increase price in dollar, which means that oil cost the same for europe as it used to due to the stronger Euro, but the arabs can buy the same as they used to buy in europe for one barrel of oil.

Shadoobie

med_breeder said:
I don't mean to be paranoid,
but I think the Economic Stimulus Checks have a purpose other than just stimulating the economy. Thousands of people who normally would not file a tax return, will this year. including some dumb greedy fugatives. The goverment will now have names, social security numbers, valid addresses of numerous people that other wise they wouldn't have had.

don't mean to sound paranoid,
but alot of dumb fugatives are gonna get pinched.

this is like when local police depts send letters to folks with warrants claiming that they have won a big prize. The perp goes to the location to recieve said prize.

Surprize!

just some thaughts.

I never thought about that angle..glad I'm not a criminal!