What's new

Recent Serious Seeds AK-47 seedstock

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
EddieShoestring, I know you've got some Sativa experience...Do you think that AK is still on the bubble between a Sativa and an Indica?

Hi C99-agreeing with Raco-the cut that i've been doing seems to be an almost total indica-big fat leaves-v little stretch and a hit that makes you sleepy. I've seen a few other peoples AK grows and they all seem to be this pheno

you're right about my pref for sats (well remembered) i don't like to smoke AK all the time-it's good just before bed though

cheers
eddieS

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hola Eddie :wave:
It´s a subjective thing hehe...look at these buds :X18 x OT1´s Haze
F1,50% pure indica and 50% pure sativa...it´s a crappy pic, I know,but this herb it´s much nicer than the AK47^^
Looks indica,but the effect is almost all in the head.Taste and smell are hazey and you can´t sit still hehe!
Great party weed.The pakistani mom served as a carrier and makes this herb work without paranoia and it can be easily grown indoors.I made the cross and a friend :wave: grew her indoors and cured her for months.

012-1.jpg

C-99 :wave:
I can´t brag about the pic lol..but this herb is very good.
sorry about the off-topic :)

Last edited:

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
Hi Raco
i can't see your pics but i know what you mean. I'm doing a Belladonna cut atm that is a short stocky plant and looks v indica but smokes like a zoomy sat-my type of weed

cheers
eddieS

JWP

I was going to do some quotes and talk about how this thread is like battle of the seed co lol

Even with today’s top weed around I still think AK is worth the effort for serious people who will spend the time end effort to hunt f2’s.

In my mind anything that has ever won a cup in anything is worth a look.

C’mon rez, I know you have a soft spot for the kali lol

B

Blue

Does Simon himself not admit that they change their parent stock to improve the strains as time goes by, so you are going to get changes in the seed it's going to happen...

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Does Simon himself not admit that they change their parent stock to improve the strains as time goes by, so you are going to get changes in the seed it's going to happen...

Yes he does. On the other hand, Simon recently (late 2009) said that no changes have been made in AK-47 parent stock for years, so the debate seems to be unwarranted.

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
I´ve just grow and chopp 4 AK47s and got clones of all 4 going on.
I must say i am most impressed and intend to keep them going.
SeriousSeeds are decent people, can´t say the same about all this new wave of breeders pretending to have the Golden Goose to sell while knocking off other peoples work :(

Lima Doubloon

Just split 11 beans a while a go, 2 broke coming out but still got a really stinky indie looking one with hair all over stems and even on early leaves. proof's still in the puddin'with that one but I have high hopes for it. Got one that is a triple top since node 4, very symetrical all leaves perfect and smelly too, still tripling at node7, excited about those 2. got 1 retard (tripled out of the shell), several lanky male looking subjects and several more have funky leaves.
is the triple top common amongst these? or special. Serious XXX genetics batch 4160.
Hope to get a stinky pair to f2 some beans...

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Yes he does. On the other hand, Simon recently (late 2009) said that no changes have been made in AK-47 parent stock for years, so the debate seems to be unwarranted.

I posted this a few pages back, but I know sometimes no one wants to flip through 5+ pages of threads, lol.

Simon does indeed mention "refreshing" the parent stock - a subject I too was unclear on until I read this, from an article in "Treating Yourself" magazine. The following is verbatim:

"For Simon, master breeder of Serious Seeds, finding the unique AK-47 genetic profile was a rare case of the 'lucky punch' every cannabis seed breeder dreams of. In 1992, after having tested thousands of experimental plants of different breeding lines, he finally achieved his goal of creating a high-quality Sativa/Indica strain with excellent overall properties and a lot of charisma - the AK-47 was born. Although Simon keeps the exact pedigree of AK-47 as a secret, like the composition of Coca Cola, he reveals that it was bred from Colombian, Mexican, Thai and Afghani seed stock, resulting in a 50:50 Indica/Sativa hybrid.

At the recent High Times Cannabis Cup (HTCC) 2003, there was some confusion about the fact that Simon entered AK-47 in the Indica Cup for the first time, instead of the Sativa Cup like before, in which the AK had gained several Cup honours, always being considered a mostly Sativa. But the above-mentioned Sativa/Indica relation of 50:50 allows for reclassifying AK-47 every time new results in the breeding process have lead to dominant outer traits of either the Sativa or the Indica type. Because after having finished a new strain and releasing it to the market, Simon uses to keep on working on the genetic formula and partly rebuilds the strains after some years by using previously unused material within the same genetic line as new parent, thus refreshing genetics. The trade-mark characteristics of the strain are basically maintained thereby, only the accents are shifted a little bit. This practice is the reason why Simon's small, but exclusive seed collection never loses its fascination and dynamics. On the HTCC 2003 Indica entry of AK-47 he comments: "Since the AK is currently more appropriately described as an Indica type of effect, we decided to enter it under Indica." Simon furthermore explains the reason for this recent Indica-dominated development of AK-47: "Imagine for example that during your breeding process you choose from each generation the shortest, fattest, mostly kick-ass plants for next parents all the time. Indeed, the % stays the same whatever plants you choose, but the plants effect and looks will be more what we call Indica-like. Such is the case, more or less."

An experienced grower called Cloudz conducted this project, using eight original White Russian seeds. All of them germinated On the whole, AK-47 has won 8 prizes at Cannabis Cups, covering a time period of one decade! It first scored 2nd place in the hydro category of the HTCC 1994, achieved the same ranking in the Indica category of the HTCC 2003 and, on top of that, was recently chosen as "plant of the year 2003" by High Times Magazine in Dec. 2003. "Forever young" could really be the motto of AK-47.

AK47 With its currently predominating Indica characteristics, AK-47 tends to grow to a medium-sized plant with only moderate side-branching, making for a large fat main cola along with several excellent secondary tops. Hence the overall yield can be way above average, Serious Seeds declares 350-500 g per m2 as achievable under good indoor conditions, after 53-63 days of flowering - which is a pretty good time deal, regarding the AK's outstanding qualities in both high and aroma. AK leafs are dark-green, showing more of the Indica spectrum, but not as wide as full Indica leafs. What is remarkable is the fact that also after the latest Indica approach in the AK breeding process, Simon managed to maintain that Sativa-typical high calyx-to-leaf ratio which means lots of flowers and only a few leafs. The single AK calyx size tends to be unsually large, resulting in fat clusters grouping together very decoratively and densely, contributing to the trade-mark appearance of AK-47. These fluffy, compact nuggs ooze lots of glistening trichomes and break up nicely, leaving plenty of resinous crystals on your fingers, unleashing an unusually strong, sweet and fruity aroma.""

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Loving AK47

Loving AK47

After chopping 4 females from seed i must say all good things about SeriousSeeds AK47:tiphat:
They were adopted to my grow...for ever:dance013:
Just a couple of pics

Nice fat colas
picture.php

AK Power
picture.php

AKHead
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

We got to love them:artist:

AKDrifter

Resurrection time,

I was doing some reading last night and stumbled on this old thread. I figured since this strain is what I would call a classic I would bump it with some updated info, and would also like to hear some recent findings from some others as well.

Unfortunately I can not comment on pre 2000 AK, but I have been growing it since 2005. It was about the third strain I ordered and grew out and it was the first that was really as advertised. I think too many companies today over hype their products and the seed banks online catalogs read like some utopia of absolutely killer genetics, which is usually not the case. I have been duped on a few strains as I am sure many others have as well. I give a strain two-three runs before making my judgments, just to rule out my technique or mistakes I make.

Most recently I did a run from beans that I got about four months ago from one of their listed dealers. I can honestly say it looks identical to my old stock when I compared my notes and photos. For me it is a keeper, and one that I always return to as well as their WR. Of course variety is the spice of life so I usually run 2-4 strains at a time, but over the years in my garden AK has been very consistent.
I would like to hear some recent reports from some old timers. Has anyone grown out any of Serious seeds fems that has been growing SS for some years, any comparisons?

Grave digging...

I'm seriously considering some Serious Seeds AK-47, and curious to hear about the current seedstock. I've heard sooooo many good things about this strain (and smoked some fantastic AK nugs) but I'd like to hear about Simon's current rendition.

Thoughts? Feelings?

Nice pic paulo73. that the one you want!!! I think Shoestring Eddie has a similar pheno. The 70 day sativa that loves nitrogen in early flowering is the keeper.

Supaseeds

I'm growing 10 of AK-47 auto from thseeds outdoor, will see what they turn up like, so can let you know in about 2 months when it's all done, they are couple weeks old now and look nice

At the time I grew it no. Now that I have sampled more strains that are much better. I can look back and see it was not that impressive. I would not grow this strain again I would chose something better. From Serious Seeds I would get Kali Mist. I still have some of these beans and this strain to this day is wonderful..Most people that really love this strain have not grown out many strains imo.

I don't understand this post at all.

A person has to grow a strain and only compare it to another strain they've grown? That doesn't make any sense to me.

I was under the impression you could compare the quality of two strains by smoking them. Which doesn't require growing at all. As far as smoking strains go, I've smoked OG Kush, Larry OG, Skywalker OG, Girl Scout Cookies ( 5 minutes ago), Sour Deisel, etc.

I honestly believe that AK-47 is better than all of them. Jmp.

Grave digging...

I'm seriously considering some Serious Seeds AK-47, and curious to hear about the current seedstock. I've heard sooooo many good things about this strain (and smoked some fantastic AK nugs) but I'd like to hear about Simon's current rendition.

Thoughts? Feelings?
I got AK-47 from one source in 2006 and another source in 2010. It was exactly the same both times. I'm sure it's stayed the same.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Ya 2006 and 2010 are the same damage wAs done already... From what I gather .... Had some incredible ak in 98 99 my keeper was rank Sweet cherry pheno tasted like pink smarties candy and was potent as most kushes.... Don't no much bout the new gear or phenos but do no Simon played with his genetics trying to improve perfect and some not so good results....

K

komodod

A person has to grow a strain and only compare it to another strain they've grown? That doesn't make any sense to me.

I was under the impression you could compare the quality of two strains by smoking them. Which doesn't require growing at all. As far as smoking strains go, I've smoked OG Kush, Larry OG, Skywalker OG, GS Cookies ( 5 minutes ago), Sour Deisel, etc.

he said that he smoked it an thought it was good since then he has smoked more varieties and now realises it wasn't that good.
and tbh unless you got a very good pheno or a pre 2k cut, the kushes easily bury the ak47, its a good yielder and easy to grow, some phenos are strong.

The Hatter

Veteran

I was under the impression you could compare the quality of two strains by smoking them. Which doesn't require growing at all. As far as smoking strains go, I've smoked OG Kush, Larry OG, Skywalker OG, GS Cookies ( 5 minutes ago), Sour Deisel, etc.

You can compare two strains by simply smoking them but you get a much more complete picture if you grow them. You could smoke two strains side by side that you consider pretty much equal as far as the effects go but then when you grow them you find out that one strain takes 18 weeks to flower and produces about 1 oz a plant where as the other takes 10 weeks and produces 4 oz per plant. Clearly the second strain is better but you have no way of knowing this just by smoking.

Having said this, I have never grown AK-47 but I have tried it on several occasions over the years and it really has seemed to change. The old Ak-47 I tried had a sort of tart, cherry type flavor and had a potent balanced hybrid affect similiar to a good skunk. The effect is what most people these days would describe as sativa leaning.

Last night I tried a new pheno of ak 47 from my dispensary which they called the CBD pheno because the stuff tested at over 6% CBD which is a massive percentage the likes of which you tend only to see in some rare medicinal strains grown and bred for CBD content.

The effects were very different than the old school AK I remember. It feels a lot like a high end auto sativa to me. Its very clear and has that sedating funky feeling you get from CBD strains.

I have also read multiple grow reports recently where people have complained of autoflowering in their AK 47 grows which makes me wonder if perhaps some pollen from an auto flowering project was accidentally introduced into the AK 47 line at some point recently. I just don't see how the old school AK 47 could have produced such a massively high CBD strain from seed without something having changed over the years. This is of course just my conjecture based on what I smoked last night and some of the grow reports I have read but one thing I can say for a fact is that the recent AK 47 pheno I tried is a completely different beast than the ones I tried years ago.