What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RECENT interesting findings

Betterhaff

Veteran
Thanks Bubbleblower...I used the Sci-hub site with the DOI to view it as Sam suggested. Haven't been able to find the last article he posted, might not be there yet.

Betterhaff

Veteran
That link doesn't work Sam, sends you to the Russian search page but thanks.

I believe the paper hasn't officially been published. Most sites say "Publication stage: In Press Corrected Proof", even Cell. No matter what I do I get sent back to the Cell page with the intro. And the DOI doesn't seem right, just have to wait a bit I guess.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I don't get the problem I just checked the link it is all 12 pages of the full paper it is a preview but the same 12 pages as Ethan sent me. Why, is it not correct, don't you get all 12 pages and references like I do?
-SamS

Betterhaff

Veteran
It works now, I don't know why it didn't work. When I first tried I got "Page can't be displayed." When I tried it later it opened the Russian search page. I got the same Russian page when I tried on my mobile. But it worked this morning, go figure.

Great paper. From the concluding remarks:

"For better or worse, pharmacological research is expensive, funding is elusive, and intellectual property issues dictate that companies would most often prefer to engineer a molecule de novo with a specific receptor target in mind rather than investigate natural compounds from a botanical that may be freely available in nature, and lack the possibility of patent protection. When the substances involved may also include potentially forbidden substances resembling THC , which are subject to regulatory scheduling, the barriers to research become greater still. One may wonder, however, how much additional time might have been required to discover the ECS were not cannabis there to lead the way. Despite its seeming ubiquity, and obvious importance as a homeostatic regulator of human physiology, the ECS topic receives short shrift in contemporary medical education, if mentioned at all. This educational deficit, born perhaps of lingering prejudice towards a plant called cannabis, must surely end soon, as it is contrary and detrimental to potential significant contributions to public health."

Amen

Pangea

Veteran
Libgen came up empty, but the link Sam posted works for me. Great read really enjoyed it, especially the concluding remarks, and the quip about truffles :D

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
AKT1 genotype moderates the acute psychotomimetic effects of naturalistically smoked cannabis in young cannabis smokers
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4872423/

Terpinolene, a component of herbal sage, downregulates AKT1 expression in K562 cells

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3362481/

Single molecule sequencing*of THCA synthase reveals copy number variation in modern
drug-*‐type Cannabis sativa L.

http://biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2015/10/08/028654.full.pdf

Genome-wide analyses reveal clustering in Cannabis cultivars:
the ancient domestication trilogy of a panacea

https://peerj.com/preprints/1553.pdf

Cannabis microbiome sequencing reveals several mycotoxic fungi native to dispensary grade Cannabis flowers
http://biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2015/11/06/030775.full.pdf

Evolution of the Cannabinoid and Terpene Content during the
Growth of Cannabis sativa Plants from Different Chemotypes

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26836472
https://www.cannabisreports.com/new...velopment-patterns-three-cannabis-chemotypes/

plantingplants

Hey Sam, have you come across any research regarding the somewhat common phenomenon of younger, long time smoker's cannabis experiences eventually becoming more anxious or paranoid? I've spoken with numerous people who loved cannabis until a switch went off and the experience was no longer enjoyable. Maybe it's psychological but it seems to me that it may have a physiological basis. Thought I'd ask since I've yet to find an answer and you seem to do a lot of research.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
No idea to be honest, maybe they have changed and that is why they do not like it? Or maybe what they are smoking has changed? I have heard that you can catch this disorder by being to close to people that have it, stay away from them is my advise.....
-SamS

Hey Sam, have you come across any research regarding the somewhat common phenomenon of younger, long time smoker's cannabis experiences eventually becoming more anxious or paranoid? I've spoken with numerous people who loved cannabis until a switch went off and the experience was no longer enjoyable. Maybe it's psychological but it seems to me that it may have a physiological basis. Thought I'd ask since I've yet to find an answer and you seem to do a lot of research.

angelgoob

I have noticed northern wild-type produces CBD strains. Is this because somehow the UV wavelength the resin protects against has changed in the northern climate because of the sun's angle coming through the atmosphere and the result plants therefore favor CBD because it protects or take less energy for protection?

oldchuck

Veteran
I have noticed northern wild-type produces CBD strains. Is this because somehow the UV wavelength the resin protects against has changed in the northern climate because of the sun's angle coming through the atmosphere and the result plants therefore favor CBD because it protects or take less energy for protection?

Don't know the answer to your question but it is interesting to think about. Is it mostly northern types that make more CBD? And if so why?

I've started growing some hybrids in an attempt to balance out the CBD-THC ratio. I think it works in the F1 generation but still uncertain about further inbreeding. I've been using a far northern hemp variety called Finola and crossing to different examples of the usual high THC commercial varieties. It ain't your usual stoner smoking weed but it works for me.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Biotransformation of Tetrahydrocannabinol
Muhammad T. Akhtar . Khozirah Shaari . Robert Verpoorte
Phytochem Rev DOI 10.1007/s11101-015-9438-9
Abstract Cannabinoids are terpenophenolic com- pounds consisting of an aromatic polyketide and derived from the geranyl diphosphate C10 terpenoid unit. They are the active constituents in Cannabis sativa and have been utilized in a number of cannabis- based medicines. Biotransformation of cannabinoids is an important field of xenobiochemistry and toxicology and the study of the metabolism of these compounds can lead to the discovery of new com- pounds, unknown metabolites with unique structures and new therapeutic entities. Different fungi, bacteria, plants and animal cells have been used for the regio- and stereoselective transformation of cannabinoids. All of the above mentioned organisms have distinct enzymes which catalyze the conversion of a specific cannabinoid at different positions and thus provide a variety of derivatives. All organisms are able to transform the alkyl side chain where as mammalians are unique in the formation of the carboxy derivatives. This review article assesses the current knowledge on the biotransformation of tetrahydrocannabinol and with particular focus on D9-THC.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Do me a favor and save a few leaves from each of the the parents and some progeny?
I would like to DNA sequence the parents as well as F1 progeny and F2 progeny when you make them, keep tract of the sex of the leafs and what the parents leaves were from male or female plants and who the parents are. Just dry the leaves, place between paper sheets with ID info and I will get them later. I suspect the reason you see CBD up north and more THC at the equator is because at the equator people have been selecting plants for THC, even if just by traditional growers, they can easily remove all the CBD from drug varieties just by saving the seeds of the best ones when smoked, do this for a few hundred years you have high THC varieties, with little to no CBD.
If you do any Cannabinoid or terpene analysis on any of the plants keep a leaf with the analysis info so we can keep the DNA info + Analysis together in one set of data.
Let me know if you save anything...

-SamS

Don't know the answer to your question but it is interesting to think about. Is it mostly northern types that make more CBD? And if so why?

I've started growing some hybrids in an attempt to balance out the CBD-THC ratio. I think it works in the F1 generation but still uncertain about further inbreeding. I've been using a far northern hemp variety called Finola and crossing to different examples of the usual high THC commercial varieties. It ain't your usual stoner smoking weed but it works for me.

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
http://biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2016/06/03/056887.full.pdf

Phased Diploid Genome Assembly with Single Molecule Real-Time
Sequencing

Chen-Shan Chin, Paul Peluso1, Fritz J. Sedlazeck, Maria Nattestad, Gregory T. Concepcion,
Alicia Clum, Christopher Dunn, Ronan O’Malley, Rosa Figueroa-Balderas, Abraham Morales-Cruz, Grant R. Cramer, Massimo Delledonne, Chongyuan Luo, Joseph R. Ecker,
Dario Cantu, David R. Rank, Michael C. Schatz.
Abstract
While genome assembly projects have been successful in a number of haploid or inbred species, one of the current main challenges is assembling non-inbred or rearranged heterozygous genomes. To address this critical need, we introduce the open-source FALCON and FALCON-Unzip algorithms (https://github.com/PacificBiosciences/FALCON/) to assemble Single Molecule Real-Time (SMRT®) Sequencing data into highly accurate, contiguous, and correctly phased diploid genomes. We demonstrate the quality of this approach by assembling new reference sequences for three heterozygous samples, including an F1 hybrid of the model species Arabidopsis thaliana, the widely cultivated V. vinifera cv. Cabernet Sauvignon, and the coral fungus Clavicorona pyxidata that have challenged short-read assembly approaches. The FALCON-based assemblies were substantially more contiguous and complete than alternate short or long-read approaches. The phased diploid assembly enabled the study of haplotype structures and heterozygosities between the homologous chromosomes, including identifying widespread heterozygous structural variations within the coding sequences.

Sativied

Veteran
I suspect the reason you see CBD up north and more THC at the equator is because at the equator people have been selecting plants for THC,
Is that not likely mainly from the uvb levels limiting the choice? Higher at the equator, higher at higher altitudes too, longer uvb season, less ozone blocking it in the tropics etc.

Pate proposed in 1983 already the difference between the drug and fiber variety was from selective pressure brought about by uvb radiation.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1751-1097.1987.tb04757.x/abstract
"The concentration of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), but not of other cannabinoids, in both leaf and floral tissues increased with UV-B dose in drug-type plants. None of the cannabinoids in fiber-type plants were affected by UV-B radiation."

And Chemical ecology of Cannabis, http://www.druglibrary.org/olsen/hemp/iha/iha01201.html

My point is, maybe they never really had the opportunity up north to select for high thc instead of cbd. While near the equator cannabis evolving to a higher thc variety was at most sped up by humans but would have happened regardless.

Sativied

Veteran
There does seem to be a correlation, and I do think causation too. Besides cannabis there is a lot of research on the effect of uvb on secondary metabolites. Thc absorbs uvb and if you look at the things uvb can do to plants it makes sense the ones with high thc in high uvb areas could have been the best plants in other aspects too. Uvb damage includes reduced biomass, reduced pollination germination (Campbell et al., 1975; Caldwell et al., 1979; Flint and Caldwell, 1984), auxin inactivation and makes it harder for the plant to compete with weeds. Things a basic farmer would have selected against even if only interested in the seeds, or even fiber..., but would obviously make a difference in natural selection too. Wrap a layer of thc around the ovule, the by trichs most protected area, affecting pollination rates positively and then the difference could relative quickly change a population. The whole point is to protect the seed, and appearantly the pollination, in order to reproduce.

UV also causes dna damage and the resulting repair process is a main source for mutations. I.e. Arguably, statistically, a plant species would need longer to evolve and adapt to less damaging environmental factors.

I don't have enough data and there is some conflicting research but it appears that in any case THC is a more flexible screening compound against uvb than CBD. A high THC plant can direct more energy into creating more thc when needed/signaled. CBD contents is not increased when uvb is increased. That flexibility of a high THC plant may have given it a major advantage in areas with high uvb and/or long uvb seasons, and possibly uvb peaks throughout evolution.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Pate worked for me for 2 decades we ran several grow outs in my greenhouse he designed that tried to prove that UVB improved Cannabis in any way. We could not, We used 3 different clones one CBD and two drug varieties we had 4 examples of each each of the 3 clones they were set up so the first set of three were 1 meter from the UVB lights, the next set was 3 meters, the next set was 6 meters, and the last set was a control with no UVB. They were all in 10 liter pots the same size, about 3 feet when started, with the same soil and watering. The closest to the lights got badly fried, the second set was lightly fried, the third set, not really harmed and the 4th set just controls. We ran the lights first in veg then in flowering. We used GC-FID to measure the cannabinoids and terpenes and weighed the total biomass, and flowers and stems and leaf fraction of the dry plants after harvest.
RCC and I did organoleptic analysis on the two drug varieties Skunk #1 and a Thai?, the no UVB plants were the best. The closest row to the lights were much less weight and resin, the second row was lightly harmed in a similar way. None of the UVB plants had any more cannabinoids or terpenes or more weight. I did try.
-SamS

Last edited: