What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ready to Grow? Help! PC CFL

Ready to Grow? Help! PC CFL

• Yes, it should be ok

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Nope, you screwed it up

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fresh Start

It seems iffy, but I would try to get them into another cup. That would help your water situation. They don't need too much airflow either. Maybe cut it down to just one fan.

Glimmbo

Thanks Fresh, totally agree.
picture.php

Pulled the intake fans, and potted into a cup with holes in the bottom. The soil probably isn't the best it could be though... Shultz Potting Soil 0.08-0.12-0.08.... shit. As am I'm writing this, I wonder if that could be read as 8-12-8 like fertilizer. Fuck. I thought it was soiless mix because the numbers were so low, but I think that's what those decimals mean...%. Goddamnit.

--edit-- Just checked. They're read like 0.08%, so I was right in the first place but are these small amounts of nutrients in the soil gonna be an issue? I kinda doubt it...

Fresh Start

There ya go. Looks way better. Don't over water, Let the soil dry out a bit. What are you going to do for air circulation?

Glimmbo

I've still got two exhaust fans (top left of the last pic) and a passive intake where the two fans I just took out used to be.

Glimmbo

Alright, might have a new problem here. :watchplant:
picture.php

This looks to me like a nutrient deficiency, either iron or nitrogen?? It's lookin a little unevenly pale, and there's a tiny bit of browning at the tips of the oldest leaves. Do I have to worry about this yet? Or is it just under/over water? guh.

Fresh Start

What I think is happening has to do with the root structure, and your potting mix. Looks like the root structure has finally found the food in the soil and is causing a little burn to happen. I would keep a close eye on the plant to make sure it doesn't get any worse. Yeah, you can just give your plant water (no food) until it reaches a good 5-7 inches tall. Good thing to remember. I steer clear of potting soils with food in it. Inert is the way to go IMO. It should clear up with ample watering.

Glimmbo

That makes sense. I bet if I were to pull the peat ball out I'd see roots starting to poke through, getting used to the new soil. Hope it (SHE!) can handle it fine. Thanks for the info.

Glimmbo

Things are lookin alright as far as I can tell. Gonna be time to top this thing in a week or so I think, and I'll sex the cutting. Remember, this plant is one I intend to go straight to bonsai. Even if it's male I think I'll keep it to practice shaping, see what I can do with it. This is a composite of about the past 5/6 days pictures taken roughly a day apart.
picture.php

Glimmbo

So I've been posting in the infirmary the past few days, haven't been doin a very good job here.

picture.php

It started to look all wilty but still green, so I eventually clued into the seemingly textbook over watering symptoms. I've since let it dry out a bit(about 2 days later, no water) but got a chance to look at the roots. Is this cup getting to small? Are the roots rotted? I know the pic isn't good.

-edit- Remember, I'm looking to train this into a bonsai mother...

Last edited:

Glimmbo

So I let it dry out, and there was no recovery so I decided to pot up and water. Hoping to get some recovery in a day or two.
picture.php

Last edited:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey man!

yeah, i would cut the tips of the leaves off where they are in contact w/ your soil - maybe any dead (necrotic) looking stuff too -do some looking around and you'll see pics where people have done this

when it comes time to root cuttings, a variation of that is to cut down the leaves a little so the plant doesn't dry out as fast and some people clone w/o a humidity dome using this technique

that's not why i m saying it here though - that soil contact will cause problems w/ moisture and possibly soil borne plant illness - those leaves are looking a little rough anyway so cut off the rough looking parts

basically just cut off the very tips up to about half a leaflet -just trim the dry dead away

you know, just a little of the lower leaves where they look a little dry

re watering:

its tough in the seedling stage (in fact this stage is what sets apart many great gardeners) one minute the plants are drowning and the next they are wilting.

don't be afraid of the wilt though. a 1st grower (at least i did) associates watering w/ washing away the problem or helping the plant or something (for me it was a willpower issue i had to fight it) let the medium dry every time before you do water (but dont let them fall over - lol)

it looks like you're past the hard part and i do believe your plant got alittle burnt by the nutes mixed in that shultz soil. those proportions seem like they should have been OK but seedlings just need light and water (your plant is not a seedling now BTW) but don't feed it yet cause of the burn (there should still be some nutes in that soil) did you pot into more of the same soil again?

Glimmbo

Yep, used the same stuff. I know now that I should be using something completely inert but I guess I just got kinda lazy and went with the ready made stuff. Thanks a lot for your input. I think maybe what I'll do is gently hold the leaves above the soil with something at first, see how they do, and then I'll try the trimming technique you mentioned. Thanks again. Rep.

One Love 731

Veteran
floranova combo works great. but make sure to not over feed your girls. Its good ya potted up, it will give her a chance to find a comfort zone. if your soil is always moist your roots never get a chance to really thrive. Whats the temps in there? learn to take advice from those with pics to back it. Karma, One Love

Glimmbo

One Love, thanks for the tip. You're talkin about the lucas formula? Ya I wanna try that next but from what I've read all over I decided to go with soil...might've been a mistake. Looky here.
picture.php

Looks like I'm gonna have to lower my pH. Dunno if you can see the colors well, but if I'm right, my pH might be as high as 8! Yikes.

I think I've got some sphagnum peat I could use, but I don't have any sulfur kickin around..might have to pick some up. I'll try some peat right now, mix it in a bit.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yikes! that soil should have been about right. what are you watering w/ ??? well water can get pretty alkaline if it's a cement lined well. sometimes tap water has a lot of minerals in it which may run alkaline as well.

distilled is neutral

learn to take advice from those with pics to back it

is there something wrong w/ my advice?

Glimmbo

I use distilled, like the kind you get refills of from grocery stores. Not really sure whats up with this shitty soil...I took out those little supports and just gave her a little leaf trimming like you said. I have a feeling this whole ordeal (repot, trim, soil adjust, overwatering) is gonna kill it.

One Love, temps range from about 79-87 F, but mostly right around 84.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well i guess we know to avoid shultz

that is really strange though esp since you are using distilled

Latest posts

Latest posts