What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ready to Grow? Help! PC CFL

Ready to Grow? Help! PC CFL

• Yes, it should be ok

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Nope, you screwed it up

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glimmbo

Oh and don't get discouraged if the first few clones u do dont turn out awesome, cloning has a kinda rough learning curve n it takes a few tries usually to get the hang of it.

You weren't kidding Fat J. I haven't seen even a hint of root out of the two batches that have been through the cloner. I'm also trying jiffy plugs and cloning gel, still not goin that great. I'm following all the usual recipes, just think I need to be more careful with my cuts and the box temp has been swingin a bit, we've had a weird start to summer so my room temps vary. Other than that.. I've definitely got a nice little clone producing factory of a mother, it's doing really well. I moved it out of the box, it's too big. It just sits in a little space on my shelf under a single cfl, and it's lovin it.

Just gonna have to keep tryin with these dang clones.

Glimmbo

Just a little update on the mom, she's got some mean bush action goin now! Gonna have plenty of chances to learn how to clone properly. The couple brown tips are just light bulb burns, space is tight.

picture.php

Glimmbo

Okay, so I think I might know why my cloning attempts have bombed. My plant doesn't have a lot of soft green branches, they're all really stiff. From what I've read, it's best to have a couple inches of soft green branch from the bottom area of the plant to clone with. But my soft green tissue has only ever reached like, max 1 inch, before it begins to stiffen up. And I think it's doing this because of the LST I've been doing with pipe cleaners, pulling the branches down, but I'm not too sure.

Do you think LST makes your branches harder in the process? If that's the case, should I let the branches grow out, without LST, to get some longer lengths of soft green branch? Do I need more than an inch of stem to clone, even though the stem I do have is completely submerged in the bubbler/jiffy plug?

I'm gonna take a couple new clones today (I chucked the old ones, they weren't doin shit after 14 days except staying green) see how it goes again despite my short lengths of soft green. If these don't do well again, I think I'll try to cultivate some softer branches...if that's possible. hah.

Glimmbo

I'll answer my own questions:

Yes, LST made my branches harder
Yes, I should let it grow out for the green softness
No, I don't need that long of a stem underwater

Know how I know this? Cuz I got roots bitches, aw yea! haha just the start of roots, few cm's but they're comin'. 3 days in, not bad. next step: transplanting a rooted cutting into a suitable medium. Let the research begin. Any good threads out there anybody wanna point me to?

Thanks y'all.

PS, I'm really diggin my training job on the mother. She's topped at 3 nodes now, and all those branches are spread from the central stem about...4 inches, and from there I just let them grow upwards toward a single CFL that hovers at about the center. The leaves grow in a nice bowl shape, and light penetrates all the way down to the first node, where I've got some intense greenage growing out of where I thought it wouldn't! Loooots of clones comin may way, I can feel it!

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
careful watering your fresh rooted cuttings (like w/ seedlings) they dont have the roots to use very much water

i 'feed' @ 1/4 strength early on for same reason (a light mix w/o much nutes is better for 1st trans of the rooted cutting)

as soon as you begin to note vigorous growth, a cutting is the same as a veg'n plant

Glimmbo

Update! I suck at cloning!

What I thought was a root last time wasn't. It was just a sort of dangly piece of stem. DOh!
I don't really know why I can't get supposedly the easiest way to clone to work. My box has been way too hot, I think I'm gonna move it to the little mother night stand cab I've got, see if that's any better temp-wise. I kinda doubt it though... is there anything I can add to the water in the bubbler to help things? This is my 3rd round, each round being avg 5-10 cuts in the bubbler-still nothing. Any tips?

Fat J

I been gone for a while, had a OT of killer bud after last round... finally sobering up a bit. So dude, my advice on the next set of cuts - ditch the bubbler. Get some rapid rooters and some Clonex gel. Clonex only not another brand - gel. And rapid rooter plugs, follow the instructions, and there is a great thread on here about using them. Dont water much, let em alone and ull get roots, I reallly hate bubblers, wanted to give urs a shot but it seems to be wasting ur effort. Use the airstone to aerate the water ur giving to the mom for 30+mins before watering.

One more suggestion, try a smaller bulb to induce stretch if you want to get some quick shoots, but if u see stress, go back 2 the stronger bulb.

Lastly, what are the specs on the nutes ur using? Nice to see shes gotten so bushy tho ^.^

Puff, puff, pass!

Glimmbo

Yea I was thinking of trying exactly what JJ_Scorpio's got posted there, people seem to swear by it. I think I might have a bit of trouble finding the exact brand names though, but then again I haven't looked that hard yet. I'm gonna hit up all my local garden stores, but any idea if they sell Clonex and Roto at the big guys?

gavin2511

try to get bigger cfl bulbs, mines 150w and would be easy to fit in a pc case.
not sure where you can buy in usa, but i got mine from an ebay shop!!