What's new

Read any good books lately?

St. Phatty

I enjoy reading about Death and Dismemberment in Los Angeles.

Whilst visiting a family member, I picked up the near complete collection of Michael Connelly novels.

They're all about various fictional murders, set in the LA area.

"Death and Dismemberment" - It sounds macabre, but that's what Michael Connelly novels are about. About murders in the Los Angeles area, and the attempts to hide the body etc.

And somehow the result is damn entertaining.

They are best-sellers. Connelly can actually afford to LIVE in Los Angeles !

I always associate Connelly novels with vacation. That's about the only time I sit and read fictional things for hours on end.

DAT

Presently I am reading George Carlin , Last Words.
I am enjoying it very much but the book is from the library and it smells pretty bad. Each page has a different repulsive odor. I have taken some saran wrap and wrap it up and read through the saran wrap so I dont have to smell the stench.
I am also reading Crumb the complete volume #16. its got some fabulous stories. I especially like the one about his foot fetish, the girl that fell down the well and the story about the bitch that got the part in the movie but had such a bad hangover she didnt make it to the screening.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i recently discovered an author i had never heard of before, although a couple of his books made the transition to the big screen. Pat Conroy passed away before i knew his name, mores the pity. the movie "Conrack" is the adaptation of his novel (early bio, really) "the Water is Wide". he also wrote "the Lords of Discipline" and "the Prince of Tides" which also were made into damn good movies. most of his writing is either autobiographical, (which did NOT endear him to his family, lol) or thinly disguised stories about his youth and friendships while growing up in the Low Country of South Carolina, Charleston in particular. i have 3 more books by him (he authored 12) that i cannot wait to get my grubby hands on. :woohoo: a true wordsmith of incredible depth and range...

G

i recently discovered an author i had never heard of before, although a couple of his books made the transition to the big screen. Pat Conroy passed away before i knew his name, mores the pity. the movie "Conrack" is the adaptation of his novel (early bio, really) "the Water is Wide". he also wrote "the Lords of Discipline" and "the Prince of Tides" which also were made into damn good movies. most of his writing is either autobiographical, (which did NOT endear him to his family, lol) or thinly disguised stories about his youth and friendships while growing up in the Low Country of South Carolina, Charleston in particular. i have 3 more books by him (he authored 12) that i cannot wait to get my grubby hands on. :woohoo: a true wordsmith of incredible depth and range...

Very cool. I will keep this in mind, hopefully, come across his stuff.

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
I am reading a lot, but sadly it´s mostly german and not translated in english. In the moment I am reading "Die Festung" (1500 pages) from Buchheim, he is the writer of the book "Das Boot". Maybe some older fellows know the movie or series. It´s about a german submarine in WW2.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sunshineinabag

Recently blood,bones and butter......these as of this year.

Attachments

• 15989611797393400554759482859401.jpg
    15989611797393400554759482859401.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 14

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
Hello Sunshinebag, I think I would read your "Nine months to Gettysburg". I had read a lot of books of the US civil war also.

St. Phatty

i bought Michael Connelly, "Fair Warning", to read when I'm on Jury Duty.

i asked the jury coordinator, "what are you doing to protect the jurors from Covid19".

Long story short, I was delayed until Feb. 2021, and expect to tell them that I am unwilling to enter the jury deliberation room because it is an unsafe work environment (20 people in a conference room, no ventilation)

I will tell the judge, "i will be in the jury break room reading a Michael Connelly book" and that I'm willing to sweep the sidewalks or wash the floors as an alternative form of community service.

so the book is just sitting there.

Michael Connelly, anybody who can write about LA and make it sound appealing ?!, is a true Jedi Master, because that is one SERIOUS Jedi Mind Trick.