What's new

Read any good books lately?

BlueBlazer

What were we talking about?
Veteran
What did you think of hearts in atlantis blue blazer?did you see the movie with anthony hopkins?i never really was interested in stephen king till i read hearts.what a wonderful and confusing book.yeah i cried

The thing about Stephen King is that he is such a good story teller, I am compelled even when the story basically sucks (i.e. - The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon).

I've read all his books (except Mr. Mercedes which I somehow missed). Some I read many times, Hearts in Atlantis isn't one of my favorites. I've only read it two times (so far). Maybe I'll give it another shot after I finish reading the Dark Tower again. I did see the movie and although I'm a Hopkins fan, that movie was a pale imitation of the story in the book.

Another story made into a movie that I thought was actually better as a movie was the Shawshank Redemption.

His gore doesn't really get to me, but he does have some hauntingly emotional bombs in his books that can land up being very disturbing even though it's not "horror" or "gore". The dog scene in "It" makes me cry every time.

shithawk420

Veteran
Hehe,no,book of five rings is mostly philosophical bigganjabud on how to beat your opponent.it was written in the mid 1800s i think.Art of war is at least a couple thousand years old i think.i guess i need to work up on my history cause im getting forgetful lately!

My favorite series is the "Destroyer" series.im dead serious.best. books.ever.period.ive got a first edition somewhere.one of my most valuable possesions.

Another great book is "night eyes".you will never think of aliens the same way.

Also,after watching "The life of pi" and hearing its also a book,its next on my list.hehe,so many books to read and so little time,eh guys?

B

bigganjabud

I believe I have read it !!!!

I'm going going to add it to my kindle just to make sure though

theclearspot

Robert Byron's 'Road To Oxiana'. Although written in the 1930's it's one of the best, if not the best, travel books ever written because it has 'humour' which is lacking in modern travel writing.

Green Squall

Robert Byron's 'Road To Oxiana'. Although written in the 1930's it's one of the best, if not the best, travel books ever written because it has 'humour' which is lacking in modern travel writing.

Check out "The Sex Lives Of Cannibals" by J Maarten Troost if you like travel writing.

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cannabis manifesto by Steve diangelo

My copy of Cannabis Manifesto just arrived yesterday. :woohoo: I am really looking forward to reading it. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Steve DeAngelo.

I have just finished reading Mary Jane: The Complete Marijuana Handbook for Women by Cheri Sicard. It's a great book for women (and men) that are just beginning to learn about medicinal cannabis. Pretty much basic stuff every mmj consumer should/might want to know.

Last edited:

snuggles

gospel of sri ramakrishna.
sometimes repetitive (which is the nature of talks anyways), but there are a lot of gems to be found in it.

good vibes

theclearspot

Anything by Bukowski. One of the things which makes American writing much much better than British is the honesty and total lack of PC or liberal mores. Carver is similar. Honest.

Max Headroom

Veteran
Sibel Edmonds - Classified Woman (2012)

for anyone who thinks that there is something like 'justice' or a 'justice system'.

for reporting serious security breaches/infiltration inside the FBI translation unit sibel edmonds was completely thrown under the bus and her life made a living hell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibel_Edmonds

DAT

Recently read 3 by Carl Hiaasen. He is so funny, very visual and very witty.
The books I read and highly recommend are Bad Monkey, Nature Girl and Skinny Dip.
Im currently reading UBIK by Phillip K Dick, that's more sci fi and pretty trippy.
Yeah, im a huge Bukowski fan as well. I read everything by him , love his style of writing and his fuck off attitude.

Green Squall

The Terror by Dan Simmons.

It's Historical Fiction Horror. I think Steven King fans would enjoy this.

Here's a snippet....

The Terror is a 2007 novel by American author Dan Simmons.[1] The novel is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror to the Arctic to force the Northwest Passage in 1845–1848. In the novel, while Franklin and his crew are plagued by starvation and scurvy and forced to contend with mutiny and cannibalism, they are stalked across the bleak Arctic landscape by a monster.[2]

shithawk420

Veteran
Oh,dont know if i already said it but "Cains Blood"is a great book.i highly suggest it.its about a pharmaceutical company cloning famous serial killers for the military.

dddaver

Veteran
I'm currently reading "Mr. Mercedes" by Stephen King. Murder stuff kind of a departure from his horror genre. But like usual, he likes to go off on tangents explaining in detail some minute thread in the story line. That's why his books are so long.

S

supreme bean

UBIK.I hope you finish that book.Otherwise its like popping up to Norway.and not staying to see
the northern lights.