What's new

Re-Use FFOF soil?

Bloom

What should I do to Re use my soil from my last grow? Do I add anything, store it with a lid on it? or anything? I have about a hundred bucks in beans an am just startin to square everything up to getter going, but would like some pointers...

What should I do to Re use my soil from my last grow? Do I add anything, store it with a lid on it? or anything? I have about a hundred bucks in beans an am just startin to square everything up to getter going, but would like some pointers...

Buy fresh soil for every grow.

Neo 420

Veteran

I need a question answered before I give my opinion.
What did you use for nutes?

Floridian

Veteran
I know some people re-use.In the scheme of things I wouldnt even consider it.I guess it just depends on how poor you are and nobody take that personally please

I saw some thread where people re-used organic soil. I ran short unexpectedly and had to re-use, notice no ill effects yet. I have heard over and over never to re-use soil but it worked this time!

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
U can totally reuse... as long as U haven't used HEAVY nutrients that would still be in the medium....BUT most organic guys....RECYCLE there soil....
as in take the old soil... replace it w/ amendments and all the goodies.... then
let the soil sit...as in cook for as long as U can.... this reactivates the bio activity in the microbiology in the soil food web thus...revitalizing the medium again for further use....

only deal....takes time and space to do such types of activities.....but well worth the effort.......
there is a entire forum on just this process..... read~it/live~it/learn~it......
in the long run scheme of multiple grows....save U.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Neo 420

Veteran
U can totally reuse... as long as U haven't used HEAVY nutrients that would still be in the medium....BUT most organic guys....RECYCLE there soil....
as in take the old soil... replace it w/ amendments and all the goodies.... then
let the soil sit...as in cook for as long as U can.... this reactivates the bio activity in the microbiology in the soil food web thus...revitalizing the medium again for further use....

only deal....takes time and space to do such types of activities.....but well worth the effort.......
there is a entire forum on just this process..... read~it/live~it/learn~it......
in the long run scheme of multiple grows....save U.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That is why i asked what the OP used for nutes.. I recycle my soil... Got some girl scout cookies sitting in some as we speak...
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=247005

Bloom

I had used bushdoctor kangaroots (root drench) w/ bushdoctor microbe brew, Mother earths Bloom tea and Bloombastic.

S

SeaMaiden

Even if you used chem salt-based fertilizers, the soil can be reused, but it must be processed, and possibly may require rinsing out before starting over again. I like to use a kiddie pool for the mixing and re-amending, but also have used bins and tubs. Those are a bit of a pain in the ass, but the point is the use plastic or something that can't be eaten up by microbes once it's ready to be mixed and allowed to set for a bit. And that's where I would start, with microbes.

If it needs rinsing, my bad back prefers something like a pillowcase or sheet, out on the driveway with the hose.

Sounds like you were already using the sort of products that would allow you to easily re-use this soil, but it'll need a little 'freshening' up. I would start with some rock dusts, including greensand or similar, soft rock phosphate (this will take about 2yrs to break down, so you'll need to add something else with more readily available P, guano would be a good example here). Worm castings, perhaps if it's becoming too finely grained you may want to add back in some peat moss, and I personally like to add silica-based sand (play sand). I know it's heavy, but I feel it helps allow drainage and the plants respond well to the mix. I also add in some of my native clay, and prefer rice hulls over perlite any day of the week for further lightening up the mixture.

Or, you could get another bag and mix them together...? I've never used the FF soils, so I can't say how to work with that brand specifically, only how I re-use my media, including soils. No matter what, I'll reiterate that I would inoculate with microbes, whatever your preferred means may be.

dragunn

i reused a little ffof my last grow,mainly because i was running out of places to dump it.kind of a side by side.used organic loam and did 6 to 1 mix(directions on the bag),cup of worm castings for a three gallon pot.most other pots had fresh ffof.the fresh won out.im sure if you dialed a mix in you could reuse it with out a lower yield.just not worth it to me.

joe guy

By the time u buy all the ammendments and other stuff and let it sit ur spending way more than 10 bucks a bag not to mention the wait for it to "cook" u coulda walked around the block and picked up enough cans and bottles to buy a bag of fresh ffof (lord knows it wouldnt be the first time and prob not the last either).. I leave the making of soils and mediums to the pros and the people who make it at the factory just eazy that way.. And im not risking my yeild or worse the whole crop cause "I" fucked up.. Just my 2 cents tho it works for people all the time from what i read...
Good luck if u decide to try it out...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
when I was reusing I made sure the soil from my previous run was completely flushed even though I use organics. I would just add a new bag to the old soil. I never had any issues. After 6x or so I would toss it in the compost and start over. If you have 2 bags of used soil I add 2 new bags making a total of 4 bags ready to use..I never had to buy all new soil only half..I only added EWC or Perlite...It works just fine

Neo 420

Veteran
Why would some coward neg rep me for linking to a post on recycled soil.? Probably never really grew anything but crabgrass and mold.. Ignorant coward......

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol dont worry its not neg rep if its a gray color or he did not like the post. I keep telling everyone that the helpfull post only adds a small amout of good rep if some agree's with your post. If someone does not agree it has no impact on your rep.. This was turmned off along time ago because of Abuse. Many where just doing it out of spite.....

Last edited:

joe guy

I have in the past accentdly neg reped few people with my fat fingers and this damn smart phone and touch everything. But on the board said sorry and i liked the post ..but u probly gota hater...

nukklehead

when I was reusing I made sure the soil from my previous run was completely flushed even though I use organics. I would just add a new bag to the old soil. I never had any issues. After 6x or so I would toss it in the compost and start over. If you have 2 bags of used soil I add 2 new bags making a total of 4 bags ready to use..I never had to buy all new soil only half..I only added EWC or Perlite...It works just fine

thats pretty close to the way I do it....I add a LITTLE crab/oyster shells/meal, some epsoma bio-tone, a LITTLE alfalfa meal, decent food scraps ( when composting) a healthy injection of EWC, and a little perlite and / or NAPA floor dry. ( diamotecious earth ) and a new bag or 2 of FFOF. I use 4 plastic trash cans with breather holes and small kiddie to pool to mix and let most of the old mix outside in the pool for a couple of good rains to wash it out. I am now on grow number 3 of using this cycle and so far all is well. The bio tone is flower version and is used in the bottom of the air pots. So far flowering has been great and I have had to add no amendments and have only watered. Scratch that, I topdress with EWC 2 times during cycle. I am new and by no means the organic dirt expert. But since I have started recycling Im learning more and more and feel like I am starting to dial it in. I would estimate my present grow at 75-80% recycled FFOF and 20-25% new soil FWIW,:woohoo:

Last edited:

DrFever

Veteran
To be honest pending on your pot size how much soil is really left if you got healthy plants through out veg and flower in reality there is no more soil its all root least from my past grows is what i found lol all roots very little soil its like plant ate the soil
i also did a personal Experiment with used Chemical nuted soil and found large yield loss when adding used soil into new soil

Grizz

Veteran
BTW those amendments above are very cheap.. as I am..lol.... and like I said a LITTLE goes a long way. cheers

totaly agree, spend some bucks on the amendments and a large rubbermaid tub and your soil will even be better than the new ffof. alfalfa meal, pellets, blood meal, bone meal, ground oyster shells , worm castings, get a rotation going so your rebuilding a new batch while your flowering a crop, harvest and use your rebuilt for the new crop and rebuild the old.

Latest posts

Latest posts