What's new

Raw Foods - Anyone do this diet?

G

Just wondering if there are any raw foodists in our mix.

Even if your just 50% raw.

I experimented with raw before many times. A week ago I tried to really see if I noticed differences in my day. For some reason, I keep returning to this. Today I ate all raw food except for a bit of macaroni and cheese and some chicken soup.

I felt pretty energized all day today. I guess part of it was I felt lighter. I felt like my digestive system wasn't spending so much energy digesting, so the energy was more available. I'm definitely going to keep this up.

Neone here do this?

G

I have juiced different fruits and vegetables and used that to drink with my meals and I find that I don't need as much rest as I do when I didn't do this.

Even eating a salad that has different vegetables in it along with seasonings like garlic and onion, with a meal where the food hasn't been cooked over 212f gives me a boost of energy and that "feel good" effect.

If a good amount is food that is fried or cooked in high temperatures for a long time, I get the heavy feeling. I like this feeling when it accompanies the energetic feeling from the raw and lightly cooked foods because it keeps it going but because it's too heavy, only a little is needed so something that is battered and fried can be served as a side dish with the rest of the meal. Peace.

G

I would never be able to eat anything raw except some sushi rolls.

shoot I will only eat eggs I personally cook and burn lightly

I quit eating meat on sunday after attending a Satsang held by Guru Sri Vast. He also promotes raw diet which I will be adopting soon. Next weekend I will be attending a 3 day meditation retreat held by Sri Vast, should be wonderful.

tokinsmokin

LeoNardoDaVinci said:
I quit eating meat on sunday after attending a Satsang held by Guru Sri Vast. He also promotes raw diet which I will be adopting soon. Next weekend I will be attending a 3 day meditation retreat held by Sri Vast, should be wonderful.

Nice, I think I've heard of Sri Vast in this book that I'm reading, where is he located? I'm reading the book "Awakening The Buddha Within," which is an amazing book.

How can you eat raw meat? It doesn't sound very appealing no matter how beneficial it may be. I have heard that your food is much more bio-available to you and you will get all the nutrients in the food where as cooked food you won't, but how can you bare the taste? Like eating a t-bone steak raw, wouldn't that take a while to eat as well?

tokinsmokin said:
Nice, I think I've heard of Sri Vast in this book that I'm reading, where is he located? I'm reading the book "Awakening The Buddha Within," which is an amazing book.

How can you eat raw meat? It doesn't sound very appealing no matter how beneficial it may be. I have heard that your food is much more bio-available to you and you will get all the nutrients in the food where as cooked food you won't, but how can you bare the taste? Like eating a t-bone steak raw, wouldn't that take a while to eat as well?

He has an Ashram in India, and headquarters in Sweden. He just "popped" up in a town I deliver car parts to though. Satsang last Sunday night and retreat next weekend. "When the student is ready, the guru will appear."

You don't eat raw meat. Atleast I won't be, as I am going vegan. I do believe when Sri Vast talks about eating raw food he means veggies and fruits. Ever since I had my awakening/realization experiences, eating meat makes me feel sick and disgusting. The act of eating itself became very hard for me as I now know that everything is me and I am everything. I cannot eat meat any longer, just can't. I am so ready to go join Sri Vast's Ashram. I have felt so much better now that I do not smoke weed everyday(only smoked 3 times in the last 3 weeks, once last week at random, once on 4/20, and last night because I went to see Stephen and Damien Marley!! That rocked) and I eat rice and veggies and fruit, I feel 450% better. My mind is so clear and I am loving life and the way I feel. I can bring myself into a state of bliss that I can hold onto all day. Ahhh life, so wonderful.

G

I do. I've pulled away from the commercial, typical diet of the Westerner. I eat alot of rice and make my bread with rice flour instead of wheat or using wheat flour for that matter (use xantham or gaur gum to bind where you're eliminating the gluten). In addition to going to rice milk instead of cow milk. Basically went "GFCF" (Gluten free, Casien free).

All veggies are fresh and usually raw. Grown myself if able, but there's still a few I buy. I try to stay way clear of processed foods anymore. No more meats, but on occassion (not vegan). Perhaps meat in small portions 2-3 times a week.

I think the whole thing is getting away from processed, preserved foods. I've lost the excess weight without trying. Back to the weight I was when I was 18 and feeling just as healthy. I'm no longer fatigued all the time and feeling old and ran down - gettin near the expiration date of my warranty, if ya know what I mean.

Cooking from scratch takes longer, but it's worth it - definately. All those extra ingredients in packaged foods are out of my body now and it's made a HUGE health change in me and my family.

There's something wrong with what they put in foods these days. I don't know what it is. But it's definately unhealthy and killing us off. The change was one of the best things we ever have done. I shall no longer laugh at hippies and their diets - they were right!

marcnh

Hey Indacad, my experience with this diet is I always CRAVE other more macro nutrient animal based foods like cheese and eggs at least. I don't think this diet is good for the long term - however, this diet is awesome for the short term like 1-3 weeks (or more if you have a serious illness) for healing and cleansing. I have done this diet several times and a few times people look at me and say something like wow you look really healthy?!?! I mean, I never look unhealthy (i look 10 years younger than I am) but for people to say this I must be doing something right. I have studied natural foods and IMHO, my body is either - 1. in a maintenance stage - eating a balanced diet longest 2. cleansing stage - eating raw foods or fasting - 2nd longest 3. building stage - I'm craving proteins, carbs, and water and want lots of rest. I dunno, I just have paid a lot of attention to how I'm craving certain foods and how I feel after I eat those foods, or how I might be abusing my body and need to recover and if something works I repeat it never needing to see a doctor. There are two site I like a lot - chetday.com and bragg.com. Both sites have some wacko stuff but it's still interesting to read. You just have to pick through and try things and see what works for you by how you feel. IMHO you are best at deciding what is good for you, just pay a lot of attention to how you feel after you eat something and with experience you will know what your body needs. Check out Bragg's raw apple cider vinegar. I was very sick one time and did an experiment. Took a drink of the vinegar, next day I improved. That day no vinegar and got worse. Then vinegar for two days and improvement on both days. You get the point. I odviously could go on and on, but just my ten cents. Take care and good health.

marcnh

One reason I think the raw food diet is good for cleansing is it cleans the digestive system so well. Users report a great increase in energy when starting this diet and IMHO I think this is due to a decreased amount of energy being used to digest the food. Also, when your body is not using energy to digest food, it is using more energy to cleanse. I always use a colon cleanser like psyllium husk but the BEST one is made my Health Products Inc called "super colon cleanse". My uncle says this works better than his prescription for making him go....Hope this isnt too off topic here, but this one phylosphy of intestinal health is right up there with water, cleansing, and exercise!

marcnh

Hey Siax, what indicad means by raw food is eating vegetable based foods without cooking them, not raw meat, flour or any processed foods. Basically straight from the earth, no meat at all, just vege proteins and such, never frozen or cooked. 100% raw food forever is not healthy imo, unless you have a life threatening disease.

Last edited:

tokinsmokin

LeoNardoDaVinci said:
He has an Ashram in India, and headquarters in Sweden. He just "popped" up in a town I deliver car parts to though. Satsang last Sunday night and retreat next weekend. "When the student is ready, the guru will appear."

You don't eat raw meat. Atleast I won't be, as I am going vegan. I do believe when Sri Vast talks about eating raw food he means veggies and fruits. Ever since I had my awakening/realization experiences, eating meat makes me feel sick and disgusting. The act of eating itself became very hard for me as I now know that everything is me and I am everything. I cannot eat meat any longer, just can't. I am so ready to go join Sri Vast's Ashram. I have felt so much better now that I do not smoke weed everyday(only smoked 3 times in the last 3 weeks, once last week at random, once on 4/20, and last night because I went to see Stephen and Damien Marley!! That rocked) and I eat rice and veggies and fruit, I feel 450% better. My mind is so clear and I am loving life and the way I feel. I can bring myself into a state of bliss that I can hold onto all day. Ahhh life, so wonderful.

Ok thats what I thought about the raw meat.

Sounds like your already starting to live the life, I'm jealous of your retreat. I hope to some day do that as well, if not for much longer than a retreat.

marx2k

Veteran
When i go shopping for food, I avoid a few things which drops my food choices drastically.

#1 is High Fructose Corn Syrup - This ghetto sweetener is in everything. EVERYTIHNG.
#2 sugar substitutes - cancer cancer cancer
#3 is hydrogenated * oil and brominated * oils
#4 are preservatives. I avoid almost ALL preservatives.
#5 is soy in most any form. (not really good for you, hormone and thyroid-wise)
#6 is high carbs (I gain weight quickly)
#7 is high sodium (if a food needs tons of salt to make it taste good, why eat it?)
#8 are sodas. I used to drink a LOT of soda. One of the best things to stop besides cigs
#9 are prepared and/or processed foods. No Hot Pockets, no lean cuisine, no SPAM

I don't eat red meat, I don't eat swine. I don't eat bread.

I eat mainly whole ingredients and make foods compiled OF whole ingredients.

Sure, it takes slightly more time to prepare when compared to getting a colon-packing "meal" from the drive-thru or the workplace vending machine. But your body is your temple, wether you're religious or not. If you do not care for it, you end up living in hell sooner or later. You treat your body right, it will reward you. You shit on it, you end up getting shit on.

You get used to eating well like this and then you can continue on to better things like eating all organic or all local foods. Or if you're lucky, you can do both.

A raw food diet is a great idea and works for many people. But even making it a point to eat lower on the food chain will benefit you in countless ways.

By the way, when did Mountain Dew replace CocaCola/PepsiCola as the soda of choice for people?

All that bromine is much more awful for you than just soda alone.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brominated_vegetable_oil )

In one case, reported in the New England Journal of Medicine on 8 May 2003, a man who drank eight liters of Ruby Red Squirt daily had a reaction that caused his skin color to turn red and produced lesions diagnosed as bromoderma. [3]The excessive quantities together with the fact that the man had a higher than normal sensitivity to bromine, made this an unusual case. A similar case reported in the Journal of toxicology: Clinical toxicology (1997, vol. 35, no3, pp. 315-320 (27 ref.) reported that a man consumed two to four liters of a cola containing BVO on a daily basis experienced memory loss, tremors, fatigue, loss of muscle coordination, headache, ptosis of the right eyelid as well as elevated serum chloride. [4] In the two months it took to correctly diagnose the problem the patient also lost the ability to walk. Luckily bromism was finally diagnosed and hemodialysis was prescribed which resulted in a reversal of the disorder.

In test animals, BVO consumption has caused damage to the heart and kidneys in addition to to increasing fat deposits in these organs. In extreme cases BVO has caused testicular damage, stunted growth and produced lethargy and fatigue. [6]

Bromine is a halogen and displaces iodine and may be a significant contributor to teenage obesity and psychosis through thyroid function depression given the rate of consumption of Mountain Dew by teenagers. Clinical work by Doctors Fletchas, Abraham and Brownstein supports this.

tokinsmokin

marx2k said:
When i go shopping for food, I avoid a few things which drops my food choices drastically.

#1 is High Fructose Corn Syrup - This ghetto sweetener is in everything. EVERYTIHNG.
#2 sugar substitutes - cancer cancer cancer
#3 is hydrogenated * oil and brominated * oils
#4 are preservatives. I avoid almost ALL preservatives.
#5 is soy in most any form. (not really good for you, hormone and thyroid-wise)
#6 is high carbs (I gain weight quickly)
#7 is high sodium (if a food needs tons of salt to make it taste good, why eat it?)
#8 are sodas. I used to drink a LOT of soda. One of the best things to stop besides cigs
#9 are prepared and/or processed foods. No Hot Pockets, no lean cuisine, no SPAM

I don't eat red meat, I don't eat swine. I don't eat bread.

I eat mainly whole ingredients and make foods compiled OF whole ingredients.

Sure, it takes slightly more time to prepare when compared to getting a colon-packing "meal" from the drive-thru or the workplace vending machine. But your body is your temple, wether you're religious or not. If you do not care for it, you end up living in hell sooner or later. You treat your body right, it will reward you. You shit on it, you end up getting shit on.

You get used to eating well like this and then you can continue on to better things like eating all organic or all local foods. Or if you're lucky, you can do both.

A raw food diet is a great idea and works for many people. But even making it a point to eat lower on the food chain will benefit you in countless ways.

By the way, when did Mountain Dew replace CocaCola/PepsiCola as the soda of choice for people?

All that bromine is much more awful for you than just soda alone.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brominated_vegetable_oil )

Yeah you make a bunch of good points, and most of these I follow to a T. I forgot to put preservatives in mine, preservatives are horrible and cause a lot of problems like weight gain, your body just doesn't know how to use them and alters other nutrients benefits.

High Fructose Corn Syrup this is one of the biggest problems in the US, and a big reason for the obesity problem. It raises insulin levels extremely quickly and will shuttle all the foods that you are eating into your blood and system quicker causing an excessive amount of nutrients ie carbs to be stored as adipose fat. When you go to mcdonalds and get a combo meal well your getting a lot of chemicals in the meal that will alter nutrients, cause hormonal changes, and more importantly you will be gulping down a soda that will raise insulin levels and shuttle all that food into your system causing fat gain. Its a recipe for disaster, and there are so many things that have high fructose corn syrup in them like marx said not only soda.

Carbs aren't that bad like you said Marx, as long as you eat complex carbs, and create an even insulin release throughout the day its the quick insulin release when your eating is the biggest problem. I believe weight training and cardio will be very helpful in many ways.

G

I probably shouldn't be posting in this thread, considering that my diet habits are that of a boy raised in Texas, who loves fried stuff and red meat(especially battered & fried red meat). I do however, happen to know that you can take raw meat(flank steak, etc) and "cook" it with lemon juice. We do it down here on Guam, and it's fucking fantastic. But..umm...good luck with you guys' clean living stuff. I wish i had that willpower.

marcnh

Does anyone feel the same way I do that you enjoy a food so much more if you know its good for you? You have this good feeling that you're doing something good for your body...

marx2k

Veteran
marcnh, I used to feel that way when I first started getting into a good diet. But now that it's become just my normal diet, I enjoy the food that I eat a lot more since my body actually gives me feedback as to how good the food is for me.

Latest posts

Latest posts