What's new

Rate the Breeders

offthehook

Veteran
@ izzywizzy, Hey man, I am sorry if I offended you by giving my opinion on your rating. I prolly forgot a bit about 'the person behind the post' and was mostly focused on the number '20 out of 10' that made me feel like: Hell NO, this can't be true! Again one overrated strain that by my standards totally does not have it. But hey, if it is your thing, go ahead man, I have grown that strain by the kilo's and plenty of guys here were totally into it, so prolly it's just me again.
Last thing I would want to do here is interfere with your enthousiasme mate, again, sorry if I happened to do so.

Besides, as a matter of fact you are probably right, It's those high concentrated THC buddies that happen to make me turn pale and puke.

So far it has happened to me only with Nevil's and Skunk (variety's), even though Serious their Kalimist is also rather high in Thc but certainly does not trigger me to puke. (Am 44, toker since age 18 so I'm supposed to have figured this out by now)

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do your research. It takes a while but it is worth it.

Who is passionate about what they do? Who can give decent descriptions?

I was reading a description of a new listing today and it was so poorly written and convoluted, I was shocked and turned off.

I'm partial to any breeder that acts like they give a shit; like answering the occasional question, posting pics of their work. They may suck, but at least they are trying. I can't stand some of these breeders or seed makers that can't be bothered.

Cannacopia bitched and moaned about no one buying their seeds; well they never acted like they gave a shit.

You have a forum section?, moderate it at least once a week. It's that simple.

R.Fortune

offthehook

Veteran
@ Robert F. > Guys are bussy breeding & go about their bussiness & what not, so hey, we've got to give em a break, but ok, I know what you mean.

Nothing more upsetting then to be treated like shit wha?

My personal strategy is to not sell my seeds at all but just give em for free to ppl I run into and that I feel of they are worthwile sharing.

I never was a big fan of the whole money equation thingy anyhows, even though I 've been running commercially for over half a decade.

Besides, "I" am nothing but a link in the breeders chain.
"My" strains will never reach the desired level of "perfection" under only "MY" watch, since every ones a while I will get bored and start breeding everything with everything together.

Seeds derived from strains that I have bred into near perfection happened to end up at other 'respected' breeders grow plots, and THEY can finnish it into perfection the way THEY see fit.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
I think the title of the thread should be worded differently. It seems he wants to rate which 'Seed Vendor' produces the best results.

I know there is a total difference between a 'Breeder' and a 'Seed Vendor', but i couldn't be bothered elaborating myself.

The fact that some people get all egotistical about whether they're favourite vendor is a 'True Breeder' or not is quite funny. :)

i agree with you in a way.. untill you find yourself in a position where you have spent x amount on a batch of seeds from a breeder then spent the time money and power consumption on putting them through veg, through flower, then end up with a shitty product.
then you might sit there and think fuck ive been done over for 5 packs of seeds from whoever..
then it will somewhat piss you off when everyone calls this person a fantastic breeder when all they are putting out is junk.

anyway.. back on topic..

avant gardener

Veteran
I can name 2 from the above list who do not class as even breeders, but more like Polyhybrids!

Do you actually know what it takes to be a breeder?

well first of all you have breed your own genetics and this doesnt apply to sum one who just throw pollen on elite cuts lmfao

Makes me laugh when growers here lick sum polyhybrids ass cheaks over s1's and crossing of hybrids with other hybrids! not much work has gone into it even though you might get sum keepers.

Jump on the gravy train guys! anyone can do it, who has access to sum elite strains lmfao:laughing:

landracist.
pffft...

offthehook

Veteran
i agree with you in a way.. untill you find yourself in a position where you have spent x amount on a batch of seeds from a breeder then spent the time money and power consumption on putting them through veg, through flower, then end up with a shitty product.
then you might sit there and think fuck ive been done over for 5 packs of seeds from whoever..
then it will somewhat piss you off when everyone calls this person a fantastic breeder when all they are putting out is junk.

anyway.. back on topic..

I think one hint to avoid the above situation is to check for a breeders honesty.

Someone trying to sell you the stars and the moon in all of their glory most likely needs to be token with a mug of salt. (aka Arjans GHS ^^ Fucking Dutch with his "ik kom uit de horeca en deswegen snap ik de verlangens van mn klanten, Duh ofc, yes, I hate em. Mostly for beeing one of their post fellow countryman myself. It's truely sad et all but happily I managed to get myself voluntarily banned from that country & moved into my current exile paradise 'Finland'. lol)

Arjans mindset is all about manipulating ppl for profit. Dot.

I think an honest breeder knows his strains so well, that besides of all the 'ups' that he has been trying to create in them, He will also be willing to talk about the 'downs' of his strains, as in order to avoid his clients getting negative surprises by omiting bits & pieces of painfull truth.

G

guest4092

anyway.. back on topic..

I think Robert Fortune said it best, that if you do a little bit of research then you should do ok.
Just going to a seedbank and selecting a certain strain on THEIR description alone, and EXPECTING that it will be superior is a bit naive...

anyway, yes, back on topic....

Morphote

Veteran
Can't say I've ever seen a shoreline hyb from karma, is that an older release? And what OG are you talking about? He's using the HA in his biker line, OG#17 for his 'Bear og', and he's used an SFV bx male that I dont think he has any more. I'm no expert on Karma, I have only smoked weed from his strains (Jack, Mirre and Kryptonite) but they were all great and I have never been confused genetically speaking about any thing I see him coming out with..... That is with the exceptin of the big sur x biker kush where he said the bsh isnt pure and is crossed with somethig else.

Well he released a Shoreline cross even after he was told point blank what he had was not Shoreline. The people that remember that conversation won't like me for bringing it up again, but it happened. Karma posted a pic of what he was told was Shoreline, to which I and many other icmaggers responded that it was most definitely not the Shoreline cut. He made seeds and released it under the Shoreline name. I only need to see a breeder do something like that once to never trust them. Karma only said it was Shoreline because Swerve told him that's what it was. I don't trust Swerve either. I had almost the same exact conversation with Karma about one of his OG Kush releases. He offered to let me test the seeds, but I eventually declined after learning he released his "Shoreline" cross full well knowing that he didn't have the true cut. Karma seems nice and I'm sure he has some great lines, but if he's using mystery P1s and slapping popular names on them so they sell, then I'll pass on everything Karma, including free testers.

M.

floralheart

Veteran
You didn't have real OG if you think Jillybean is better...Sub wishes his shit was that good, and Dinafem? Autos and S1s...what makes them such great breeders?

I don't like chocolate either.

My 2 cents....Cats like Karma, Chimera, Loompa, E$kob@r, Classic, Kaiki, and Neville are some of in my opinion the top of the capstone in their own respected rights. Guys like Classic and E$ko have amazing stuff at very very affordable generous prices, Kaiki runs the raw shit, Loompa got the fuckin flame, Neville simply speaks for himself, Chimera is a wealth of information and has a tight lineup of strains, and Karma is probably the most underrated out there that is actually breeding and not pairing up/reversing elites for a quick buck.

freemason?

growhi

So the breeder who creates an unstable clone is a breeder, but the guy who tries to make seeds available of that or produces crosses of other quality strains is "just" a seed maker? Why is one better than the other and why? They are both providing different services. To me the people producing good crosses for reasonable prices are doing just as big of a service to the community as those breeding stable lines. I like the unstable stuff just as much because you never know what you'll find. Also unlike clones I can order seeds and receive them from the other side of the planet.

its not about clones or seeds , its about as iv said, time served , proper thorough testing and selections , creating something new and unique , striving to create the best strain you can ,

i think the tag breeder .................... is something that has to be earned !!
i dont think you can just make a few small selection/no selection cross's in your grow tent and call your self a breeder ! or make s1 fem onlys of other peoples work, again i don't think you can call your self a breeder

its like lets take dj short as an example ! ........................ decades and decades of work and dedication to create something totally unique and different hes earned his stripes ! hes made his mark ! hes payed his dews !
yeah his stuff is a bit unstable and wacky ! but thats more an expression of the man him self !

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
i think they are all full of shit. every last one of them.

there's a lot of truth to that, sadly.

however, there are still some vendors who are honest and intelligent, and who understand their role as breeders.

in contrast, the vast majority of 'breeders' have created this idealized fantasy of what is it breeders actually do and try to sell this hyped up image, to make money as well as to self-proclaim as the 'best' and most 'intelligent'.

and of course, since there are still a lot of inmature people thinking that the idealized fantasy that has dazzled them is actually truth, they will give their money to these marketing-artists, and neglect those offering their seeds without the hype and fantasy.

had we a more mature community holding true understanding of the limitations we have when it comes to "creating" crosses or what not, the marketing-masters would not get so much business and attention as they do.

peace!

bobman

the weird thing to me is that i grew for 5 years in the 90's. 3 years from a clone source then two years from 2 packs of seeds. northern lights and 4 way from mark emery. the plants were awesome back then. i had a friend who would harvest with me and every time he would pull a bud off the the plant and stick it to the wall and say thats good bud if it sticks to the wall. i used to hate that he did that.

4 years ago i decided to start growing again. i was shocked at all the selections but i still did my research. i figured things must have gotten better. boy have i been surprised. i figured just get a pack of seeds and the weed will be good like in the 90's. i dont know what the fuck has happened. my setup is ten times better but the weed has been subpar. i dont go through a bunch of seeds in fact only 4 strains and about 60 seeds since i started back up. maybe thats my problem. super lemon haze from greenhouse is the only strain with pheonos that have passed the stick to the wall test. maybe i was just lucky in the 90's. but boy now i appreciate the stick to the wall test.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ChemFrog said:
Do you actually know what it takes to be a breeder?

well first of all you have breed your own genetics and this doesnt apply to sum one who just throw pollen on elite cuts lmfao
how do YOU go about breeding YOUR own genetics... do YOU not use the genetics that were already bred by some other human being... and where do YOU get those genetics from?

did Shakespeare invent writing, did he invent the stage, did he act out all the parts? No, he relied upon the work of others to accomplish his visions... does the fact that many of the modern writings and theatre use shakespearian influences make them not true writers or thespians?

My point being, you cannot create anything new especially with genetics; one can only build upon the work that has been done before them to best shape it into something they desire and or change it into a more modern version.

I can name 2 from the above list who do not class as even breeders, but more like Polyhybrids!

Makes me laugh when growers here lick sum polyhybrids ass cheaks over s1's and crossing of hybrids with other hybrids! not much work has gone into it even though you might get sum keepers.
^^^ it seems as if you are referring to certain breeders as polyhybrids, LOL...
Polyhybrid: you are using this word wrong; I can infer what you think it means and or what you are referring to, by the context in which you use it...
I can name 2 from the above list who do not class as even breeders, but more like Pollen Chuckers

Makes me laugh when growers here lick sum Pollen Chucker's ass cheaks over s1's

but since you are so very wise... maybe I could learn something from hearing your definition of Polyhybrids :biggrin:

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
white label are rubbish, the guys behind that own a couple other terrible companies as well,, female seeds are ok..

you cant compare most seed producers/breeders because some are so bad at just producing seeds (which is easy to do), some aren't bad at making seeds but don't actually breed because they mostly make f1 hybrids or use elites and some actually select through genetics through generations and can be called breeders..

some of the bad "seed producers" just buy seeds from contracted growers that sell to many others (anyone),, sometimes those seeds aren't what those seed producers say they are at all they just fill packets with anything to meet demand..

so its possible to buy the same crap from different companies, and it not be vaguely what it was labelled as.. and if it was called white widow or NL or skunk then it would probably have been crap even if it was what it was supposed to be..

best advice is buy something that people rave about that may cost a bit more money and clone the best girl, because you could waste a lifetime with some of the jokers still selling beans thesedays..

Last edited: