What's new

Ranching With Rootwise

ROOTWISE

Veteran
The Tea Episode

The Tea Episode

I'd like to take a minute and give you a look inside what goes on "behind-the-scenes" here at The Ranch. An important and satisfying tool is my newly expanded AACT (Actively Aerated Compost Tea) operation.

A little soap-boxing first of course :biggrin: I firmly believe in the use of AACT. That being said, be careful of getting caught up in the belief that this stuff is the magic, end-all-be-all, smurf juice that gives our plants a forcefield and the ability to thrive through any and all strife!!

First and foremost, make sure your SOIL SCIENCE is spot-on. There's a pretty smart fella by the name of Tom Hill and you'll certainly hear him speak of the importance of SCIENCE in our soil, truer words cannot be uttered and I couldn't agree more that our highest priority should be on establishing balanced science in our soil before messing with the idea that our tea will fix everything....

Compost Tea, both Fungal and Bacterial Dominant, provides our plants with the ability to efficiently make use of the available SCIENCE in our soils. The tea simply complements these scientific elements. Keep that up your sleeve at all times...

Approaching Tea Brewing with the KISS philosophy is a great way to dive in and get started. Buy yourself a decent little airpump and airstones, a 55 gallon drum, some muslin cloth, maybe a venturi style re-circulating pump, and have at it! Don't be intimidated by all the big fancy words being thrown around on the boards and the elaborate recipes, just do it and HAVE FUN!! Gotta start somewhere!

Early season, I keep it very basic and add to it as I go with some stronger and more Fertilizer based ingredients...

Here's a quick tour of what I'm currently doing:

This pump is a commercial pond aerator, providing 3.6 CFM, a workhorse. The hosing is all Self-Sinking Airline, designed for pond aeration.

picture.php

Diffusers: The first is a 10" Diaphragm Diffuser, providing a shower of air bubbles from the bottom of the tank, the second is a Rod Diffuser that I made. It is placed directly down the center of the Filter Bag, constantly aerating your dry mix...as illustrated in the following photos:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

OK-- Real simple early season dry mix:

Kelp Meal

picture.php

Vermicompost

picture.php

My Biodynamic inoculated sheep compost

picture.php

Fresh picked, homegrown Comfrey. Get yourself a hedge of this going somewhere that you don't mind it taking over. You can cut it back numerous times per season and use the re-growth all the while..

picture.php

Alright, all you tough guys out there, do yourself a favor and use one of these. You won;t look half as cute as normal but safety first. Just because these microbes are beneficial to our soil doesn't mean they're great for our bodies....just ask my lungs that are just getting over pneumonia....

picture.php

Last but not least, a high quality, cold-processed Fish Hydrosylate is added...I will also alternate using Molasses every other batch...

Here they are, bubbling away. 660 Gallons of Compost Tea, ready to be deployed tomorrow morning....

picture.php

This is just one of many ways you can approach Tea Brewing folks. There is a TON of info online, do some searching and come up with your own mixes....remember it's supposed to be fun!

Now GET TO WORK!!!

localhero

Thats amazing! awesome RW!!!!!!!! when you use molasses or fish emulsion, how much do you add and how long do you brew? do you scope out your results? have you ever added molasses to a brew that smelled like it was begining to die due to over population? sorry for all the questions, trust me i have way more. i guess you knew this would happen when u unveiled that behemoth :D

ROOTWISE

Veteran
Localhero- I'm at about 1 Quart of molasses per 100 gallons. Make sure you do not use Fish Emulsion. Choose a high quality, cold-processed Fish Hydrolysate, cool? I apply that anywhere from 12-24 oz per 100 gallons....hope that helps bro! How's that garden growing?

Dubbalicious--Thanks for the love my man! :D You know how much I put into this and how hard it's been the past couple weeks. I'll prevail in the end! Feeling better and better now...

Thanks for dropping by everybody-

localhero

Rootwise, a big help as always brotha!

checked the label on the fish, its macerated and hydrolized. are you not using molasses and hydrolized fish together? is there any merit to the high brix molasses?

I need to get on the herbal additives with my foliar teas. the only plant i could use on the property was this stinging nettle. mistakenly destroyed the patch after the dog got into it and then snuck onto my bed. itchy. no microscope yet either, waiting on craig and his list for that.

The gardens goin good, not the insane growth that you guys get lol. i keep learning things for next season. right now most of the plants are 6 inches outside their 3 1/2' pots, but thats from training the branches down through the cages as you saw. lots of side branching coming up. tomatoes and passion fuit are popping. passion fruit seems to attract lots of wasps, thats a good thing right? tomatoes are attracting a small amount of aphids. i caught my first caterpillar while pipe caging the tomatoes. spinosad has started early.

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:respect:
livin the dream root bro,inspirational as always.much good info to be had in ur threads every year.
livin my outdoor dreams thru thid thread maing.
peace-T-

T

Trinity Gold

Dude now you show me!! NICE! Love it!

Have you tried activating your sheep compost or vermi compost before going in to the brewer? i powder some baby oatmeal and put a handful per gallon and mix it in nicely and moisten and cover put on a heat mat at 80 for 3-5 days ....hyphae everywhere.

ROOTWISE

Veteran
Thanks T-Gold, appreciate it! I've heard of that activation process, maybe I'll give it a go on a batch here soon, thanks for the heads-up on that-

All of the 660 gallons was delivered to G-Houses, Fruit Trees, Grapes, Veggies, and Flower gardens today, feels real good...

Hope all is well-

shaunmulok

Don't drink and drive home, Smoke dope and fly hom
ICMag Donor
Veteran
man what a setup, i had to pick my jaw up off the floor my :tiphat: off
i'm grabbing a seat for the rest of your show
:respect: cant wait to watch them now:plant grow:
keep up the great show

T

Trinity Gold

i wipe down the lid of the container a couple times a day otherwise it rains on the hyphae too much

ROOTWISE

Veteran
Another week gone, here's the progress.....nothing really new to talk about, just wanted to share some pics. Hope you folks are enjoying them so far...

As always, my weekly flower selection. If you followed along last year, you might recognize some of these. Sorry if you've seen these before, but each year brings subtle differences and I never get bored with it.

Larkspur, Snow In Summer, and the rust/maroon foliage in back is Smokebush!:)
picture.php

Black Lace Elderberry, highly recommended! You can prune and train these to do almost any shape that suits...

picture.php

I'm really proud of this shot, Peony flower...backlit with the morning light. Scrumptious.

picture.php

Witches Weed, really achieving perfect shape:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

One of the 3 Strawberry Chemdawg:
picture.php

Largest Lady of the group, pic does no justice:

picture.php

ChemD and SK1

picture.php

Just some random garden shots to wrap things up for ya:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
WOW RW those Witches Weed are just monsters, can't wait to see them in full bloom for ya. In fact your whole setup fucking kicks arse mate and if ya don't mind I'm a going to pull up a seat and watch the rest of your cranking show. :biggrin:

localhero

your plants look just beautiful RW :D

after you enlightened me to the small opening dilemna of my cages, ive been looking all over for larger sizes. is that deer fence you used to cage the ladies with?

nomaad

Veteran
As always, looking good. Every time you update, I kick myself for not having done a preliminary cage. The plants are healthy as ever... and the photography, as always, is excellent.

T

theJointedOne

you are doing it right! Thanks for sharing! Keep up the great work!

Guyute54

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow all I can do is hope my plants look that good by August. You got growing these tree's down. And i'm so glad you are sharing the great welth of knowledge you have. Love the flower shots also. Do you have any veggie gardens?

P

Paco

Rootwise, that's not larkspur, thats penstemon. Larkspur has the pinnate leaf structure much like cannabis. love the pics homie!

Latest posts

Latest posts