What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rain Water Collection/Watering System

I have a small spring running right outside my back door that I use for watering, as well as collecting off the roof in to a barrel. Haven't noticed a difference in the sources, and I was wondering GP73LPC~Is your TDS meter a sophisticated thing or as simple as a strip of paper or...what? looking for a cheap way to get my spring water tested. Thanks~MGD

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
missgreendreamz,
nothing fancy, just a $18 digital meter. they can be had on ebay or amazon all day long.

this is the one i have...

GP73LPC

Veteran
X marks the SPOT where this thread and my Greenhouse thread intersect...

Rainwater Collection System --> $200 DIY Greenhouse that ended up costing $500(includes solar power)

picture.php

GP73LPC

Veteran
so i checked the ph and ppm in my collected rainwater...

26 ppm and 7.02 ph !!!!

this is now going to supply my indoor hydro grows with water.

the available water here is 450 ppm and 9.0 ph :yoinks: i've been buying water at about $1 gallon for use in DWC.

so now my rainwater is gonna pay off in ways i didn't even plan on :dance013:

GP73LPC

Veteran
got over an inch last night...

here is my water pressure in the GH, with 150-160 gallons of rainwater. ;)

picture.php

B

bonecarver_OG

i have been collecting rainwater for several years for my indoor coco grow, and i also use some for my outdoor garden. i got 5000liters of rainwater storage that i normally fill up during winter.

i also recomend to collect the water from dehumidifiers, airconditioners etc.

i do mix the rainwater with some tapwater to get around 0.2-0.3 EC to start before adding nutes.

anyway, its awesome more ppl do use rainwater. a free resource. as long as u get rains :D

peace!

GP73LPC

Veteran
thanks bonecarver, i agree about the free resource of rainwater !!! :jump:

Leeroy&Co:

Interesting thread. My rain water is collected in tanks and has no ppm reading what so ever. I guess acid rain/pollution/area/tank condition/all play a part in people getting different readings? I might try what bonecarver suggested and mix it with tap water to get the ppm up a bit. Good thread :joint:

B

BigTex

Before I moved to Colorado I lived about a quarter mile from a dude that sold those containers for $60. At that place I had a well in the back yard. My plants did wonderful on that water. The PH was always 6.3-6.6. I sure am gonna miss that well.

I like your setup...wish something like that was feasable here.

GP73LPC

Veteran
i am finishing up on my automatic irrigation system... as you all know (if you've read the whole thread and my greenhouse thread) i have plumbed this container into my greenhouse. i have to run over to the 2nd raised bed still, but today i picked up everything i will need. pictured here is my battery operated automatic timer. this thing will prevent me from having to tend to the plants... coming off of here will be a soaker hose in each raised bed. this thing runs off of 4 AA batteries and when i bought it i fully intended on buying a 6 volt solar panel and battery to use, but the instructions act like it uses so little power that a set of 4 AA's will last all season and then some...

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts