What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rain Water Collection/Watering System

silver hawaiian

Veteran
:lurk:

Beautiful. I have a 32 gallon trash can in the back yard, being fed by some flex from the garage gutter, .. But this is a much better reservoir! :groupwave:

Where did you find that reservoir?

:respect:

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
:lurk:

Beautiful. I have a 32 gallon trash can in the back yard, being fed by some flex from the garage gutter, .. But this is a much better reservoir! :groupwave:

Where did you find that reservoir?

:respect:

i got the reservoir locally from a guy who sells these and the 55 gallon blue plastic barrels...

and the only rain i have seen since i built this was some sprinkling that evaporated as soon as it touched the ground, roof and gutter... :cry:

i stood in it checking everything out hoping to get soaked, no such luck :cry:

GP73LPC

Veteran
still waiting on rain here... if you build it they will come, correct ?????

we've had about 1/4" maybe in three different sprinkles. that put about 2 inches of water in the rez...

so if my estimates are correct, this 330 gallons can be filled from my little roof with about 5-6 inches of rain total...

M

Mr.Fiskars

This is a great idea! Sad thing is we've had enough rain here to fill thousands of those tanks :badday:

I too collect rainwater, but in 5 gal buckets transferred to a couple of 32g rubbermaids for a small indoor room.

Besides using the reflective foil material, do you do anything to try and prevent algae?

SuperSizeMe

A foot without a sock...
Veteran
i agree with craigslist or get out and drive some country roads, talk to some people. i bet you can find them locally...

I see them along some of the back roads,for sale,now and again.Just to be on the safe side I'd make sure they were food grade and/or only had food grade product in them.

GP73LPC

Veteran
This is a great idea! Sad thing is we've had enough rain here to fill thousands of those tanks :badday:

I too collect rainwater, but in 5 gal buckets transferred to a couple of 32g rubbermaids for a small indoor room.

Besides using the reflective foil material, do you do anything to try and prevent algae?

i have not done anything to prevent algae...

surprisingly enough i opened up the tap on the thing yesterday to check the water temp and it was cool :dance013: didn't see any algae, but that ain't saying anything, water was clear and cool. i'm just gonna water plants with this anyway...

now come on rain...

is this a rain dance :dance013:

come on rain

i dare you :moon:

i double dare you to rain :moon: :moon:

GP73LPC

Veteran
I see them along some of the back roads,for sale,now and again.Just to be on the safe side I'd make sure they were food grade and/or only had food grade product in them.

mine was food grade acid sanitizer. i have flushed it several times, once adding a gallon of bleach and rolling the whole monstrosity across the field (to mix it up good).

i feel fine that mine is more than safe to water a garden.

They are called "IBC Tanks" or Tote tanks with support cage

80 bucks is cheap. Water storage tanks are high dollar items. Search Tractor Supply Company for them. Outrageous.

I would start with craigslist.com but first I will talk to a guy down the street who has one in his side yard, Just sitting there.

GP73LPC

Veteran
i'm about to buy another for AFOAF...

Was out at his weekend place telling him about it and he's all over it. he has a well, does some rain water collection and has built him a little water tower to provide pressure to the cabin. the tower holds 110 gallons.

he has plans for the 330 gallons, not sure what, but it will impress for sure...

i'll take photos when he does something with it.

GP73LPC

Veteran
well it's finally raining :dance013: more than just a 1/8" here and 1/4" there.

it's been sprinkling, raining, drizzling for the last 24 hours and we have received over 3 inches in rain !!!!!

my 330 gallon reservoir is about 1/6 or 1/5 full... my guess is about 50-60 gallons of rain water collected...

next step is to plumb this into my GH with some PVC pipe...

S

SeaMaiden

We, too, need to get our water harvesting better sorted out. Unfortunately, the list of 'must do's' is long, and the days are getting shorter. At least I can turn off the drippers. We have some 35gal trash cans with rain chains leading to them, but with well over 1,700'sq of roof from which to harvest rainwater, we have a LOT further to go.

Subscribed!

GP73LPC

Veteran
1700 sq feet will definitely collect some rainwater... :tiphat:

S

SeaMaiden

And the solar panels will be washed off in the meantime!

We had a large solar array installed over the summer, 12KW + 8KW propane gennie.

tetrahydro

what will the roofing material, as well as what collects on the roof: tar, dirt, sand, petroleum products do to the purity of the water?

S

SeaMaiden

The roofing material isn't what causes problems, it's the crap that needs to be washed off first that comprises 'contamination'. After that, I get very good water.

GP73LPC

Veteran
i'm really not too concerned about contaminants as this is just to water plants.

i'm not drinking it.

i live no where close to any airborne pollution, such as factories, etc...

i think it will be fine, with that said, let me go stick my TDS meter in the water. be back in a few with the report...

GP73LPC

Veteran
very cool, 26 ppm..., better than any tap water i've ever been associated with.

my well water is 450 ppm. if i owned his place i would put in an RO system, instead i've been using store bought water at about $1 gallon for my indoor hydro garden.

currently i am running veggies(peppers, tomato's) in an indoor hydro setup. i am now going to stop buying water and use my rain water for my indoor hydro and my outdoor greenhouse...

Latest posts

Latest posts