What's new

quick acting magnesum

hello, i have some plants showing signs of magnesium deficincy and also some calcium. i want to know if i can use a lot of mollasses mixed with my casting tea (i normally dont use a lot) and if it would be able to be quickly uptaken by the plants. or if magnesium in this form, would not be able to be processed by my microbes into usable magnesium. i have some botanicare cns 17 organic bloom blend and that has water soluable magnesium in it, if i gave a dose (large plants and just sareted 12/12 almost a week ago) would this be a bad idea because it has some things the plant doesnt need right now, or would the theory of the roots uptaking what they need and leaving what they dont need apply? i have never overfed before and i dont want to now so i am asking questions and being cautious.

Hey Dude, CNS 17 ain't organic man. I wonder what else you are using that isn't organic. Ain't gonna help much to ask organic growers what is wrong or how to help.

Maybe you oughtta mix up Coot's soil mix consisting of a whopping 7 ingredients and call it a day?

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Earth Worm Castings either as a slurry application or a top dressing.

This is a good call, however I feel even with my soil mix that is 20% EWC and top dressing along the way still isn't enough. However, my base of knowledge comes from large outdoor plants as of lately while dialing in my organics. My soil mix is rich in Cal/Mg, I use molasses in my teas, and sometimes with strait watering's and still my plants use up more Cal/Mg than I can supply with just those means. That is why I like a slow steady diet of a bottle feed, (I know bottles don't jive with most organics) Cal/mg plus. Either that or the correct foliar sprays.

Maybe I should try a EWC slurry, might be a little stronger. :tiphat:

wonderful

i am using pulverized dolomite lime. when i recycled the soil i intentionally added enouogh lime for 20 gallons instead of 24 which is the amount i should have, because i added too much lime to the soil from the previous grow and id rather treat deficincys the over dossses

i am using ewc in my soil mix as well with the teas. i will definitely give the slurry method a try later down the road.

i have the bottle of cns 17 from my friend who didnt know better, never used uit in growing because it says organic on the lable but i never trust a bottled nute lable thats why i ask around. the only bittle nute i have touched besides liquid karma is 'grow more "seaweed"' its a dark back color.

to have wuality castings do i need to make them myself? i use wiggle worm brad castings
http://www.hhydro.com/Wiggle-Worm-Earth-Worm-Castings-30-lb-bag.html

oh and al-k- mist; why do you use epsom salts as last resort?

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Dolomite lime is/was really used for one thing...balancing the ph of peat and acid soils. Dolomite only works to balance ph when it's wet. The calcium is bonded to magnesium in a molecular bond. Serious mineralization needs to occur for that calcium and magnesium to become available.

Dolomite does not raise the ph above 7.0 ...and since it's mineral components are held in a molecular bond it's unlikely that you'll overdose anything with dolomite following instructions for proper use.

Why not add immediately available calcium carbonate in the form of oyster shell and set yourself up for fewer issues instead?.... You should never have to add more lime on a re-amend unless adding more peat. Try adding a calcium carbonate source instead of dolomite and see what happens. :)

Wonderful

Epsom salt

I personally don't use epsom salt because I'm not buying the deficiency pic guides. Plants don't need that much magnesium. In fact, excess magnesium will tighten up your soil. In terms of base saturation of the cation exchange sites, it's more important that you have four or five times more calcium than magnesium. A good soil will surely already have enough magnesium held in place...and flushing won't even change that. I think I'm starting to see why the fertilizer using dirt growers are always buying more dirt.

Bone meal

It's used by many for phosphorus. I threw a bag of it away to after reading some of the gardening myths debunked from the Puyallup university. See if you can't find that. That should be required reading for new organic growers.

Botanicarewhatevs

You see the words "organic-based" in your link? That means not organic.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Biological sources

Eggshells, snail shells and most seashells are predominantly calcium carbonate and can be used as industrial sources of that chemical. [6] Oyster shells have enjoyed recent recognition as a source of dietary calcium, but are also a practical industrial source.[7][8] While not practical as an industrial source, dark green vegetables such as Broccoli and Kale contain dietarily significant amounts of calcium carbonate.

from wiki...

Gascanastan

Veteran
Here's the ish w/mammalian bone meal. It's gross first of all,but that's subjective. The meat farming industry utilizes a vast amount of chemicals around the facilities that mass produce meat for human consumption.

In some of these places there are lines strung overhead that mist an insecticide for killing flies on a timer that shoots bursts of poison every minute or so. Not to mention herbicides,other insecticides,medications,machinery fliuds,etc. That all leads to the final product...'bone meal'....how in the f*ck that makes it suitable for use in organic gardening I do not know. I do know that insecticides work by destroying the central nervous system of the insect...and this happens to work on humans the same way.
I'm not much on the hocus-pocus shit,but that's also some serious bad karma man.

Fish bone meal is a far superior product. Not only is it cleaner,but it's also a by-product of the fishing industry...which cuts waste even though overfishing is of subject in today's environmental debates. Fish bone being the lesser of two evils kind of a thing.

I just weigh the facts as a consumer that mammalian bone meal may have unknown health impacts considering the facilities and beasts of origin.

One could also argue/debate that there is a taste difference as well....

wonderful

thaks guys for those great answers. i thought i had a beter understanding of organic gardening but you experts sure make me realize i have a long way to go. this is my third go with organics andi learn more each time.
all the nutes i use now are alfalfa meal, bone meal, kelp meal, ewc, jersey green sand, dolomite lime and of course some perlite and i dont remember but i might have rock phospates or glacier rock dust too. then i have 2 diffrent kinds of bat guano indonesian and jamacian and purvian seabird guano or something like that. could you point me in the right direction to read more detail about what each of these actuall is capable of providing to my plant? i have read a lot of the organics for beginners threads and it pretty much got me this far along with some other members.

thanks a bunch

Gascanastan

Veteran
This here organic soil forum will tune your organic game up~ I've been growing 20+ years and still learn new stuff HERE...all those other myth based cannabis gardening forums don't have the juice the ICMag organic 'sub'-forum has,that's for sure.
Keep reading~

B

BlueJayWay

because i added too much lime to the soil from the previous grow

And then ya added more? I've done that before and soil tightened up like a rock, nothing would grow much out if the 20 or so new cuts I transplanted into the soil, all sorts of deficiencies started rearing their ugly heads....two weeks in I took em all out of the 1gal containers, all the 'new' soil hardly had any roots growing into it so it was easy to 'separate' the soil, I cut it 50/50 with a new mix of just sphagnum peat moss / EWC / rice hulls (aeration) in equal amounts and put em all back in the new mix in the same gal containers and within a day they perked up and in a week had lush new green growth....

....that was my last experience with ole dolomite and I'll never go back lol....

....get that glacial rock dust into your soil mix - mineralize - hell ya...

Ahimsa Neem, great stuff to incorporate in as well....

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it would seem that good humus sources and mineralizing is our 'thing'

focusing on 1 element @ a time is more a hydro thing

wonderful

And then ya added more? I've done that before and soil tightened up like a rock, nothing would grow much out if the 20 or so new cuts I transplanted into the soil, all sorts of deficiencies started rearing their ugly heads....two weeks in I took em all out of the 1gal containers, all the 'new' soil hardly had any roots growing into it so it was easy to 'separate' the soil, I cut it 50/50 with a new mix of just sphagnum peat moss / EWC / rice hulls (aeration) in equal amounts and put em all back in the new mix in the same gal containers and within a day they perked up and in a week had lush new green growth....

....that was my last experience with ole dolomite and I'll never go back lol....

....get that glacial rock dust into your soil mix - mineralize - hell ya...

Ahimsa Neem, great stuff to incorporate in as well....

well i didnt have any signs of problems last time from too much lime, but i did have signs of not enough in the early stages of growth and i added an additional 20% - 40% to account for the perlite as well (and found out that i shouldnt have, and was even warned i may have f'd up big time) so i chalked it up as too much lime and went ewasy this time around.
so you are using the glacial rock dust and ahimsa neem as a substitute for lime, in what amounts? i dont think ill stop using lime because i have a 50 pound bag but am curious to hear your mixture

B

BlueJayWay

i dont think ill stop using lime because i have a 50 pound bag but am curious to hear your mixture

Why do you think you need to keep using dolo lime? Just curious....

wonderful

i bought it and want to get my money out of it, plus when i have gotten the right ratio of lime i had no problems the whole cycle. i guess my way of thinking is it has its place and when im out of it i may try something else.

Latest posts

Latest posts