What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question for those who’ve grown trifoliate seedlings.

Spaventa

Veteran
I’ve seen mention of Trifoliate seedlings that revert to normal as it matures or when flowered, often producing little resin. My question to anyone who experienced this is did the seedling have 2 cotyledons or 3 when it first germinated?

SolarLogos

I harvested a Vietnamese Black that was a trifoliate or whorled phyllotaxy, but I assume this is what you meant? She didn't revert back to normal and turned out to be the most potent of all the VB I put out (around 10 or so).
VB8Trifoliate.jpg
6-5-23.jpg
6-5-23a.jpg

Spaventa

Veteran
i have on 2 cotyledons but turned into cristata mutation i dont know what is the terms fasciated stem maybe
I believe 2 cotyledons = Diploid with 20 chromosomes.
I now believe (based on the input here and elsewhere) 3 cotyledons = Triploid with 30 chromosomes.
I think if you get whirled leaves, the odd trifoliate node or two on a plant that started with 2 cotyledons, it’s environment and transient.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
did you read buddhaseeds thread about that?

Spaventa

Veteran
Yes, a post or two in there lead me to ask about trifoliate seedlings reverting to normal growth.
I’ve heard the hype about more terpenes, increased resin and yield. It’s a Jack Herer x Black Domina so I’m looking forward to harvest!

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I did a thread on mine, everything you'd want to ask has the answer in this thread

Spaventa

Veteran
I did a thread on mine, everything you'd want to ask has the answer in this thread
correct me if I’m wrong but your thread is about a line you bred from a “mutant branch” from a regular diploid? With presumably the usual 20 chromosomes?
My interest is in true, naturally occurring, stable, sterile, 30 chromosome Triploids. They have many advantages over normal diploids for a clone mother.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
You can't tell a diploid from a triploid from a tetraploid just by looking at them. The whole tri's are triploid thing is just bro science.
The trifoliate thing is due to additional copies of the lea13 gene. Breed more copies into the offspring and you get extra branches per node. Nothing to do with ploidy at all.

Spaventa

Veteran
I agree that not all trifoliate are triploid, that was my point about yours. I suspect you can tell by the cotyledons since they are in the plant embryo before germination. If they are trifoliate cotyledons inside the seed, it must be triploid and have extra chromosomes. Bro science but it’s served me well so far.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Didn't you even look at the thread I posted? All my tris start out as Tri in the seed. My quads start as quads in the seed. It has nothing to do with ploidy. It's a gene count thing. Your logic simply isn't logical. Where are you getting this from? Or are you simply making stuff up? Read my thread, or just look at the pictures and count the cotyledons. I tried to be nice, but you're talking nonsense.

Latest posts

Latest posts