What's new

question for the breeders here

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do all plants have alternating nodes ?? If I was to veg a plant long enough would the nodes start to alternate.

I have had many plants that dont always have alternating nodes. I thought this is from Genetics and the selections breeders make. I would appreciate some feedback on this.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Plants are mature when they show sex from what i have been told. This takes apox 4-8 weeks ..I Need more info Please

Last edited:

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Do all plants have alternating nodes ?? If I was to veg a plant long enough would the nodes start to alternate.

I have had many plants that dont always have alternating nodes. I thought this is from Genetics and the selections breeders make. I would appreciate some feedback on this.

When you veg a plant to sexual maturity it will begin to alternate nodes. Or if you grow a clone you'll see it alternates in veg.

The plants you didn't see alternating nodes, were they clones or from seed?

It has nothing to do with breeder selections, it's beyond their command, so to speak.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
all from seeds. I have had many plants grown to harvest mostly Sativa that dont all have alternating nodes. All my plants get 60 day veg min. When im making seeds. I alwys look for plants that have alternating nodes and thery need to be very close to ea other. This is something all breeders look for am I missing something. I dont want a plant that doesnt have this so I wont select it to breed with.

I have many pics of plants that dont alternate .

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Interesting. Most of the time 60 day veg from seed is plenty long enough to get them showing preflowers and alternating. I veg a while from seed too and almost always wait to ID sex before flowering. Once in a while you'll get something stubborn that wants 12/12 before it gives up the goods.

If you're working with real heavy sat lines it stands to reason that some of them won't respond as well to the photoperiods growers are used to using. A buddy of mine runs a room heavy with equatorial blood and insists 11/13 and 10/14 later in bloom are the way to go. But I would've guessed if you were flowering them and got them to finish you'd see alternating nodes at some point. Got a pic?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes here is Kali Mist. the main stem on the right is easer to see. I have had many plants do this. You can see she has 2 buds a space 2 buds a space all the way to the top. This plant has to much space between the nodes so I would not use it to breed with.

picture.php

picture.php

symbiote420

Veteran
I'd hit her with a squat indy dom male ....that should tighten her up some!

Great posts Rasputin! I've seen nodes that weren't exactly even, close ...more like slightly raised, idk what's gonig on HH, good luck with the projects though!

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
imo bro, from seed your just flippin early, that kali mist if left to get a bit bigger it would alternate nodes.

ive had many plants from seed grow in that manner when flipped before they start to alternate.

Monkdawg840

Males tend to alternate. Not all females do, my Apollo 11 g is identified by that trait of alternating nodes like a male. But if left to veg long enough ur Kali mist may alternate some or all nodes. The DNA needs time to fully kick in beyond just sexing to show it's true nature.

S

SeaMaiden

Are you specifically asking about cannabis? Or literally all plants? All plants do not have alternating nodes, some spiral, some are directly opposed, others don't grow nodes at all.

Specific to cannabis, I have never seen a plant yet that does not, at sexual maturity, begin to alternate nodes and continue through its life that way. Your pix are a trip, seeing a plant with directly opposing growth that appears to be close to finished flowering.

Chillb

If you flower a plant from seed too fast it'll likely come out like your Kali did. Given more time in veg it will alternate, anyone...correct me if I am wrong. I'd be suprised if there was ANY Marijuana variety that doesn't naturally alternate nodes given time to mature.

When my plants start alternating I consider those "matured" and proceed with pulling clones for flowering...never any earlier. Why? I like to think the alternating nodes naturally are more productive considering their placement on the branches. Sexing naturally occurs during this time for me also... :2cents:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how long does it take to do that. After a 3 month veg I would think the plants are mature. im not flower with a 2 week or even a 30 day veg. all plants get min 60 day or longer depending on if they have shown sex. I have seen allot of plants like this im very surprised nobody else has seen this. It might be differant for a outdoor grow. I grow indoor so letting the plants grow until there nodes alternate is not a option. I have been reading allot of post on this. Some say plants wount alternate until 15 days after flowering has started.. Im seeing many diferant opionons on this but no real fact's. Is there any documentation somewhere that has this info???

nodes.JPG

Last edited:

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
I think you really start to notice when you run from clone a lot. I know you run a lot from seed Hammer but now that you are starting to take clones you will see it more.

S

SeaMaiden

how long does it take to do that. After a 3 month veg I would think the plants are mature. im not flower with a 2 week or even a 30 day veg. all plants get min 60 day or longer depending on if they have shown sex. I have seen allot of plants like this im very surprised nobody else has seen this. It might be differant for a outdoor grow. I grow indoor so letting the plants grow until there nodes alternate is not a option. I have been reading allot of post on this. Some say plants wount alternate until 15 days after flowering has started.. Im seeing many diferant opionons on this but no real fact's. Is there any documentation somewhere that has this info???

View Image

That may be the difference. I do seed starts every year, fairly religiously. But, even if they're not started outside, they go out until they sex. Sexing usually occurs by May, maybe June, left to the natural photoperiod and their own devices.

Here's the thing that's getting me--how do you get them to show sex, or how do you know they're going to show sex, before they've begun the alternating growth? I'm stuck in a paradigm, and I can't get out!

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the thing that's getting me--how do you get them to show sex, or how do you know they're going to show sex, before they've begun the alternating growth? I'm stuck in a paradigm, and I can't get out!

Plants will show pre sex early in veg long before they alterrnate nodes, 6 wks and should be seein sex most times.

Latest posts

Latest posts