What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
It really smelled like shit, was shocking to say the least, and tasted like shit too, even through the thick roadkill stench somehow :D

I'll just repeat what Johnny said:

I believe that when it is there, it is there. No need for special care.

I still agree with him of course, and of course tweaking stuff makes a great plant perform even better, but you cant take a crap pheno and get gold out of it, ever, just slightly better crap :D

As for Sativas and light etc, I had four columbian crosses lately, three were weak, but Its true i never finished the 16-20 week pheno properly, it has potential. But a fourth was not weak, and is a keeper. Regardless of what light or soil, that one will be the strongest and grows well in my grow, and the others did fine too, but are nowhere near as sticky. I'll keep the good one and toss the rest, grow more seeds and search some more. If you are ruthless with selection, you get to grow more seeds in the end.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Well, I’m sold...forget compost tea and adding any kelp to my beds...I’m gonna go bury some mangoes and bananas in the patch...maybe a couple boxes of blueberries too...of course, I’ll water it all in with a couple gallons of root beer, lol

HB.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I buried bananas in all of my raised beds :D Seriously I did. I use bananas as red wiggler bait. The bananas attract worms, then they stay and tend to the needs of my plants

Raho

Veteran
Of course conditions can always impact the quality of the flowers.

Poor conditions and neglect produce shit weed, no matter how good the genetics are, but perfect conditions will not turn mediocre genetics into top shelf flowers.

I think we are looking at 2 main factors:
Grower skill and genetics.

These days, there is so much knowledge out there about creating and maintaining optimum conditions, that there is going to be very little differences between flower produced by a grower at the top of his organic game vs a top tier hydro grower.
When you give the plant everything she needs in the right proportions at the right times, she will reward you by showing her full potential.

When it comes to genetics, we may have plants and lines with the same names from 40 years ago, but the genetics are often very different. Some things are just plain missing (RKS anyone?) Some things are faded/diluted/degraded versions of their former selves (Thai stick, Oaxacan, etc.) Some things are at the same levels of quality as they have ever been even if the names have changed (wide leaf lines like OGs, Affys, Chems and Sours.)
If you are looking to revisit memories in a category that doesn't exist or is faded, then accept you are going to be hunting for years. If you are looking for a specific wide leaf line from the past, you may find something very similar with a different name, or even something better. If you have an open mind you can get what you are looking for.

That's my theory ;-)

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Phenotypic expression. Purple Haze x Malawi

Root bound pot liquid organic fertilizer. Couple miles from ocean.

picture.php

Forever home a month later. Organics mixed with native soil. 20 miles inland.

picture.php

picture.php

MadMac

far beyond driven...
Haze Love

Haze Love

hello haze lovers,
here my most NLD Ohz 90' male ...
pollinating some old gear like Jack, Motherload, SSHz, Herijuana, Big Bud...
and my own cross Doors x OHz... backcross to OHz ...
hope to get now more sativa structure but keep the big bud's and great high...
picture.php

left side Doors x OHz right side Doors x THH
Doors x OHz worked out very well ... but you always find things to improve...
i'll would love a tree structure with big haze bud's and not much leaf's ...
best full NLD leaf's because of better light for lower leafs and bud's ...

OHz 90' male... full NLD ... more than seedsman ohz and great vigor... flowered from cut
next generation X ... love it
look how he enfold his arms with the pollen sacks full of golden powder
picture.php

picture.php

a hazy summer to all
M.:smoker:

TheDarkStorm

The incense trait in haze/hybrids from certain plants was allways overpoweringly heavy...no subtleties..both in taste an scent..it was almost like the room had been sprayed out with with a type of freshner an you had had incense lit at some point in the room...ther was afew types but they never changed for years...maybe subtle differences like some times thicker budds or sometimes abit more scraggly or just cleaner smoking ect..but they were easily identified.

romanoweed

Darkstorm: what i ment is: IncenseTrait is a Snip away from Chocolate ,Tabaco ,musty , vanille, spicy, Cardamon Smell.
It takes way less Change to be identified as such. Its more like a mixed, undefinable Smell.

For Comparison : Orangesmell is very far away from other smells, its edgy, its fresh , cutting trough. Not many Smells are in that Region, probably Strawberry, but thats it.

So: less change is needed for Incensesmell to not be recognized as such.

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
what brand or type of incense are you guys talkin anyway?

i hear ppl say frankincense for new york uptown haze, and i think i read somewhere someone mentioned nag champa?

whats yalls opinion on the exact incense?

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
frankincense/ sage. I knew a guy who has a weed his dad grew for years he called sage, some kind of haze for sure.

sage is one of thaibliss' trip-weed rabbit hole lines, irrc.

when i think of 'incense' and weed, i think of sandlewood, cedar, or that herbal piney armpit-y smell related to juniper and/ or salvia nemerosa.

best weed i ever had smelled like armpit.

romanoweed

Yes like Nag Champa, or any commonly Incense like when you walk by a Hippie Store. Rather a sweet Nag Champa, rather less on the incense Side. A bit Spicy too.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sage is an old X from Thseeds , they used to sell the buds in Amsterdam Katsu coffeshop and had a lovely Frankincense pheno , then is disappeared 1 year and was replaced by another Sage with no Frankincense
frankincense/ sage. I knew a guy who has a weed his dad grew for years he called sage, some kind of haze for sure.

JohnnyChicago

what brand or type of incense are you guys talkin anyway?

i hear ppl say frankincense for new york uptown haze, and i think i read somewhere someone mentioned nag champa?

whats yalls opinion on the exact incense?

We are often not talking of the same thing :)
This of TDS is a good description:

The incense trait in haze/hybrids from certain plants was allways overpoweringly heavy...no subtleties..both in taste an scent..it was almost like the room had been sprayed out with

And doesent matter if it is Nag Champa, Frankincense, mr propper cleaner or wha ever type of incense. As long as it is overpoweringly intensely heavy.
In the 90s there were plenty of incensey Hazes (Nag champa, frankincense, cleaner etc). There was not only one.
A lot of variation.

clearheaded

I buried bananas in all of my raised beds :D Seriously I did. I use bananas as red wiggler bait. The bananas attract worms, then they stay and tend to the needs of my plants

bananas are some of the most chemical laden fruit.. hope you used organic and even then id be suspect. use local fruits like zuccini cucumber from the garden.

tottaly sucks shouldnt really compost peels for our gardens as just full of pesticides and roundup.