What's new

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

ambertrichome

Veteran
I killed more than one plant back in the 80s taking them from HID, straight into the sun.

I learned almost 40 years ago not to do this. Been growing weed since 1972.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I killed more than one plant back in the 80s taking them from HID, straight into the sun.

I learned almost 40 years ago not to do this. Been growing weed since 1972.

dont start a dick measuring contest.

I put a whole room of skunk clones outdoors in the 80's after two weeks in a room, 0 problems. Never had one with a good sized plant.

We will just agree to disagree, and I wont be giving any length and girth measurements :)

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I'm not contradicting you my friend, baby seedlings will get fried if you put them out in the hot sun, however, I have planted about a dozen seeds in 100F+ weather and they acclimate immediately upon opening. That same weather killed a 4 month old Indica and fried the leaves on 3 GT, because we went from upper 70's to 3 days of mid 90's, then straight to 103-106 for 5 days. The sun killed the Indica and fried the GT the 1st day over 100F, because the plants were not acclimated to the heat.
I believe the key is getting the plant acclimated first. Cannabis that comes up out of the ground in the heat are immediately acclimated, at least in my experience. The ZamPan and HPH (documented in my thread) came up in 100F+ weather (June) and only knew extreme heat until September and have performed like any other plant in normal weather.
Peace, God bless

Its probably because I live up north a bit, its not searingly hot here usually, except for a few weeks, but moreso all the time.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd

We will just agree to disagree, and I wont be giving any length and girth measurements :)

We all thank you for your that! Lol.

I have never killed any plants by putting them in the sun (from lights), but I have most definitely bleached them out. Greatly slowed them down too. I'm 37-38 lat so I'm sure farther south plants could fry if not hardened off.

herbgreen

Veteran
If you want to get plants ready to put out side you can use plasma induction lamps they thicken up and harden off young plants quickly

I think most HID and LED claim to have some sort of UV and UVB/A but not like a 'lizard light' or deadicated UV light.... you need to be careful with that...

Get an old tanning bed for your seedlings! :biggrin:

x

Last edited:

ambertrichome

Veteran
Im in the south, in one of what is considered to be one of the best states to grow weed in, and we grew more hemp during WWII than anyone.. Pretty strong UVA/B for north America.

ANd whos starting a dick measuring contest? Not me. I come with my experience that where I am, in early spring Last of March-Mid April, if you put a weed out, straight from HID, it will scorch it in NO TIME.

Can cannabis plants be moved outdoors part-time?

https://www.thecannabist.co/2016/07/11/can...

Jul 11, 2016 · Tips for a sunny transition. You might try setting them out in the shade or partial shade for the first 2-3 days. They should be able to take full sun for 4-5 hours within a week. By the end of two weeks they can take full sun all day long.
Author: Jorge Cervantes

Is It Safe to Move Indoor Cannabis Outdoor for Light?

To avoid burning the top of the weed plants, transfer them outside in a shady area first during the first few days of exposure. No direct sunlight since the plants can get burned quickly under the heat of the sun. After 5 days or so and when the indoor pot plants can already adapt to the outside environment, you can begin exposing them under direct sunlight.
If you start growing pot indoors and you want to place them outside for the plants to receive natural sunlight, do it carefully and avoid placing them directly under the sun for the first few days

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I always move plants to a shady spot, then into partial sun, then full sun when moving plants outdoors. They do fine, if you acclimatize them that way.

I probably live in one of the very best places in the US to grow weed. Smack dab in Americas bread basket at 19 foot elevation. San Joaquin valley. Temperatures up to 115 degrees in summer, which the plants love. Long growing seasons capable of finishing off long winded Hazes. And best of all, very arid. Not much mold. I even grew outdoors last winter, and probably will again this winter.

picture.php

There is probably 10 lbs here, and another 100 or so on our property at 4700 foot. We have been snowed on twice there. Light snow. The plants there blow out trichomes after a light snow, and purple nicely
picture.php

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
If you bring meristems out of growing in vitro conditions like in test tubes, and are not careful they will dry out and die, the same with many plants grown indoors taken to bright hot dry outdoor environments, It is caused by either the leaf stomata being fully open under in vitro or the large increase in lumins from the sun vs an indoor light, or both. That is why they need to be hardened off, then they are fine. Indoor lights seem bright but the sun is much brighter in most or all conditions.

I have found that with some varieties cold will increase resin production and speed up maturation and colors expression, while other varieties it will greatly reduce resin production and will all but prevent maturation, know your varieties well before you make mistakes with a massive crop flowering in cold or snow.

-SamS

Last edited:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Im in the south, in one of what is considered to be one of the best states to grow weed in, and we grew more hemp during WWII than anyone.. Pretty strong UVA/B for north America.

ANd whos starting a dick measuring contest? Not me.

When you say: I started growing in such and such a year, so I know what I am talking about, that's the measure of the length of your dick. you did that.

If you read my info, it says van isle, which is Vancouver Island in BC Canada.

I take plants out every year, into direct late spring/summer light, never had one have a problem, except the seedlings one time. All full size plants do fine, no problems at all.

Limeygreen

Veteran
In canada moving loads of plants out in may or so, even June around Hashmasta's latitude is generally ok even from under flouros. The umol's are what matter the most for light but none the less if you grow stronger plants with good roots the stomata can respond better, make them work and not lazy plants, search for water so root building and not overly soft growth is the key. I personally can say at 42 degrees north I can take tomatoes, peppers, melons, peanuts etc outside in june for flouros and plant in full sun and not have a problem, I usually do it with plugs so small plants and not have a problem. Cannabis planted this way in July was no problem either and we were hitting 1400 umol on the daily with up to 18 mol and greater accumulation last I checked.

ambertrichome

Veteran
Im about 1000 miles south Vancouver, and where I am, if you put a plant out I full sun in the spring from inside. It will fry.

Like I said. I HAVE burned up plants.

PPFD where I am exceeds 1700.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran

I put a whole room of skunk clones outdoors in the 80's after two weeks in a room, 0 problems. Never had one with a good sized plant.

I find the same as you, even in the tropics where I am.i don't loose plants taking them from a tent straight into the intense tropical Sun.. some show a little wilt the first few days is all, keep an eye on them, maybe if they are already used to the heat they handle it better..

MadMac

far beyond driven...
ohhh-haze

ohhh-haze

hello,
here a few resinous ohhh-haze pic's
they are budding up nicely :)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

haZe loVe
M.:tiphat: