What's new

Question about watering before harvest?

M

Mr. Fantastic

I disagree

I disagree

I have done various lengths of flushing. There is no questiocn that the longer it is flushed the smoother the smoke. I know your knowledge is probably superior to mine Mad Lib but if I am not mistaken when you give your beasties lots of carbs they use up all the available Nitrogen? So would it not make sense that you could use carbs to flush your soil? I am reading "The soul of soil" right now and they talk about plants becoming nitrogen deficient with the presence of abundant carbon. I noticed that when I started using Molasses that the leaves starting yellowing sooner in flower.

mad librettist

Veteran
Nah, carbs won't use up nitrogen. Might increase bacterial mass, which will mean more nitrogen from predation.

If and only if you soil does not breathe well, the activity could lead to n released as gas. Anaerobic soil is not good though.

S

secondtry

This HAS to be a joke!...

If we had our druthers, two or three "limp leaf" episodes would precede the final watering, with an occasional spray of moisture to the foliage. By repeating the stress, the plant has a chance to adapt.

Outdoors, the best way to restrict water is with ... a hose clamp.

Tighten the sucker down, over a few weeks, until they say "ouch".

When the final droop happens, let it be for two days stone dry, then darken the lights for 48 hours. Next, pull it whole from the medium, roots in the air, and let the entire plant hang in the dark for another few days. The large leaves will lay over the buds and slow their drying.

One way to really slow the cure is to dip the roots in a pot of hot water. ( It's an old trick best done in a wash tub over a fire out behind the barn. ) This shocks the leaves stomata closed tight, severely restricting respiration. Back in the day, it was the only semi-practical way to significantly improve the taste of homegrown weed.

Just for the heck of it, you might try letting a plant die naturally outdoors. After a few dry/wet cycles, and a few frosts and freezes, when they've lost all their green, strip off whatever's left and stuff it in a pipe. ( The herb won't stay lit, so don't bother rolling a joint. ) It won't taste good, but the head will be worth the hassle.

Everything written above is TOTAL BS!!! WTF? Please, no one consider anything written above as sane or based upon science, its all BS!

Damn bass, are you trying to mess with people!?! Why don't you just copy/paste all the total BS from hightimes while your at it?

Big neg on this post, I won't neg your account, but damn dude, don't post this shit again!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
This HAS to be a joke!...

Everything written above it TOTAL BS!!! WTF? Please, no one consider anything written above as sane or based upon science, its all BS!

Damn bass, are you trying to mess with people!?! Why don't you just copy/paste all the total BS from hightimes while your at it?

Big neg on this post, I won't neg your account, but damn dude, don't post this shit again!
Word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

secondtry

Every drug strain plant on the planet will yield higher levels of cannabinoids when exposed to "less than ideal" conditions.

No that is not true, please post references for such a claim. And the work of D.Pate in "Chemical Ecology of Cannabis" is wholly inconclusive.

Lack of water, high levels of UV, nutrient deficiencies, and mineral content of the soil, all play a part. It won't be big or pretty, but it will be strong.
No not at all! Some will help yes, but not all because of hurting the plant.

UV increases THC, not CBD!

Drought stress is Always associated with elevated cannabinoid levels.
No it is not. Please post your references. I will post mine shortly, which shows the same inconclusive results as the references you will post (I have looked in this topic already).

In hydro, the "flush" is actually another form of stress for the plant.
No it is not, it depends upon when the person flushes. If I flush the day before I harvest there is no stress, or very little. (but I don't flush, that was only an example)

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
secondtry

This summer when we begin to harvest our strawberries I'm going to cut back the water and use zip-ties to choke those bastards off!

Increased brix? You bet! Better flavor! Absolutely!

Wee!!!!

CC

mad librettist

Veteran
secondtry

This summer when we begin to harvest our strawberries I'm going to cut back the water and use zip-ties to choke those bastards off!

Increased brix? You bet! Better flavor! Absolutely!

Wee!!!!

CC

CC I can't tell if this is sarcasm... hey, I can tell you this, too much rain makes peaches and strawberries not even worth eating. Which is exactly what happened here last year.

Bass, don't bother. Sometimes people stop respecting science and turn it into a fetish and a cult. Like Popper said it's all trial and error. We can avoid wasting time with that crap though, by not making unsubstantiated claims. So let's you and I say drought can possible improve my in-the-bong result, one way or another.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
CC I can't tell if this is sarcasm... hey, I can tell you this, too much rain makes peaches and strawberries not even worth eating.
Yeah it was sarcasm - no question.

I've been growing strawberries (10 varieties from Europe, America, Australia, et al) for over 15 years at the wholesale level. Organic co-ops, organic markets, pastry chefs, etc. I'm a long-standing member of the BBGA which has afforded me the opportunity to work with some of the best pastry chefs in Portland, Seattle and San Francisco.

I'm 'pretty sure' I've got the deal sorta dialed-in as the expression goes.

Best wishes!

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Yeah it was sarcasm - no question.

I've been growing strawberries (10 varieties from Europe, America, Australia, et al) for over 15 years at the wholesale level. Organic co-ops, organic markets, pastry chefs, etc. I'm a long-standing member of the BBGA which has afforded me the opportunity to work with some of the best pastry chefs in Portland, Seattle and San Francisco.

I'm 'pretty sure' I've got the deal sorta dialed-in as the expression goes.

Best wishes!

CC
Wow that's cool because I was going to use 3 acres of my land to grow Strawberries! Was going to breed them,try to come up with a sweet hybrid with lots of flavor that stores well. Was going to hike around in the Sierras and find that elusive wild strawberry patch with the biggest sweetest fruit and kidnap those genes to cross with an an heirloom of some sort. Cool stuff,my girl actually got the seeds from the outside skin of the fruit to grow in a cloning chamber in jiffy 7's!!!

mad librettist

Veteran
ah, i see, appeal to (self as) authority. I can't really respond, as it could only escalate from there. I decline your offer to duel.

tell you what, come on out east and tell me if you don't run into the same problem the rest of us run into out here.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Wow that's cool because I was going to use 3 acres of my land to grow Strawberries! Was going to breed them,try to come up with a sweet hybrid with lots of flavor that stores well. Was going to hike around in the Sierras and find that elusive wild strawberry patch with the biggest sweetest fruit and kidnap those genes to cross with an an heirloom of some sort. Cool stuff,my girl actually got the seeds from the outside skin of the fruit to grow in a cloning chamber in jiffy 7's!!!
Capt

If you're going to buy starts/seeds then look for the 'Alpine' varieties from Bavaria and Switzerland.

The berries will only be about the size of the tip of your little finger but these berries pack the most punch. As a matter of fact, the people in the 'flavor extract' business (a big one in Vancouver, WA BTW) will pay 300% for Alpine varieties vs. the standard berries used in commercial operations.

Another berry to consider is the famous 'Hood Berry' from Oregon. They are a disaster to grow commercially because within 36 hours of harvest they begin to break down. Having said that, the berries are almost purple with some of the highest sugar levels of any strawberry you can find.

I can source some starts of the Hood Berry as well as the ones that I currently grow of which 5 are of the Alpine varieties.

Check out Nichol's Garden out of Albany, OR for other seeds. Great folks!

Peace

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
ah, i see, appeal to (self as) authority. I can't really respond, as it could only escalate from there. I decline your offer to duel.

tell you what, come on out east and tell me if you don't run into the same problem the rest of us run into out here.
As usual I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Thanks for sharing regardless.

CC

mad librettist

Veteran
it's a logical fallacy. it's called appeal to authority. You don't actually make a point supporting your position, but it sounds like you did, and if anyone questions it, they are attacking you. most people looking for that kind of thing see it right away and it sets off alarms. It's usually the moment I stop listening, and believe it or not, that's a large portion of the people stating they agree as well. In a few moments, they forget all about it, because it was just a trick.

now do you actually know anything about the subject you can teach me? Other than stories about yourself? And since 2ndtry has me in his "silence box" or whatever, ask him if he has anything useful to add, other than clumsy derision.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Quote:"The berries will only be about the size of the tip of your little finger but these berries pack the most punch."
This is exactly the reason I was looking for those high mountain patches. Only I want to take their little flowers all apart and do wicked things to them....LOL Thanks 4 the lead.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
it's a logical fallacy. it's called appeal to authority. You don't actually make a point supporting your position, but it sounds like you did, and if anyone questions it, they are attacking you. most people looking for that kind of thing see it right away and it sets off alarms. It's usually the moment I stop listening, and believe it or not, that's a large portion of the people stating they agree as well. In a few moments, they forget all about it, because it was just a trick.

now do you actually know anything about the subject you can teach me? And since 2ndtry has me in his "silence box" or whatever, ask him if he has anything useful to add, other than clumsy derision.
Mad.... you are stoned on that scrog harvest aren't you?

mad librettist

Veteran
you know where it's at capt.

concentration is the opposite of yield. berries like that are rare in a market or a restaurant on this continent.

lol I didn't harvest yet, but I'm stoned on it nonetheless yes. I've been stoned on it since 2 weeks ago lol.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran

now do you actually know anything about the subject you can teach me? Other than stories about yourself? And since 2ndtry has me in his "silence box" or whatever, ask him if he has anything useful to add, other than clumsy derision.
Actually your original post was far more cogent and intelligent.

Like Secondtry - I'm done with your bull-sh*t.

Thanks for playing.

CC