What's new

Question about watering before harvest?

Chronic777

Hey, im currently growing blue cheese in biocanna bio terra, and have used biocannas nute range.

I only water 2/3 times a week, so giving plain water for the 'last week' means giving plain water 2/3 times, is this enough to get nutes out?
For 2 of the last 3 waterings im using bioboost mixed with plain water, bioboost is a metaboliser that biocanna say you can use in the last week.
Then im gonna give loads of plain water 3 days before harvest

The plant is yellowing, most of the pistils have changed color & almost all the trics are cloudy
Im just a lil worried there may still be nutes in there as i have very slightly burnt tips on all the leaves
As long as its yellowing it must be fine right?

Peace

mad librettist

Veteran
you can't get nutes out. I've tried with other kinds of plants. Ones that die if a standard microherd move in, because they raise the pH and start releasing N. I had given one tapwater before I knew how to care for them, which stimulated microbes in the peat, which made N. It was a small pot.

Turns out, all the flushing with distilled water I could think of could not rescue this plant. It had to be pulled from the medium, roots rinsed in distilled water, and transplanted.

So you are fine. Nothing you can do about it. Relax, and enjoy the organic buds. If you want, stress it out by water torture. Some plants seem to react well to stress.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I gave up on the "flushing" thing myself. In organic soil all I think I understand you can do is have a mix that depletes the nutes a week before harvest,or stop feeding with the teas a couple weeks before harvest. What do you think about that method/idea Mad? I also like letting the plant use up most of moisture in the soil before I cut,that way they dry a bit quicker.

mad librettist

Veteran
I think we should be thinking about how active the soil is, and fiddle with that. The biology makes the chemistry.

I like the drought idea. Because it probably slows down the biology and stresses the plant.

Stress for Success

Stress for Success

I like the drought idea. Because it probably slows down the biology and stresses the plant.

Stressing the plant with an artificial drought is sure to boost potency.

Slow the water, lower the amount of water, then cut it off completely.

Chronic777

So you are fine. Nothing you can do about it. Relax, and enjoy the organic buds. If you want, stress it out by water torture. Some plants seem to react well to stress.

Well i guess my question was should i go another week giving plain water to get the plant really yellow before i harvest?
All the fan leaves are yellow but lots of the leaf sets around buds are still quite green

Got lots of cloudy trics & red pistils, but i still get new fresh white pistil growth everyday

mad librettist

Veteran
I am pretty sure there is no "one size fits all" answer to your question. But if you wait long enough someone will give you one.

but hey, uncertainty is exciting!

In your shoes, I'd probably harvest a portion now as I don't like couch lock. Of course, I start taking buds off a plant very early, as i love fresh bud in the vaporizer. soooo tasty!

M

mexilandrace

you can't get nutes out. I've tried with other kinds of plants. Ones that die if a standard microherd move in, because they raise the pH and start releasing N. I had given one tapwater before I knew how to care for them, which stimulated microbes in the peat, which made N. It was a small pot.

Turns out, all the flushing with distilled water I could think of could not rescue this plant. It had to be pulled from the medium, roots rinsed in distilled water, and transplanted.

You are on a slippery slope with your assumptions.

Organics is easy to do, but hard to do perfectly for our purposes. The trick is to get it down to the point that the nutes are just about used up completely at the moment you want to harvest. This is hard to get perfect every time.

But, if you get close, but not quite, a flush a week before harvest helps immensely. The quality difference is obvious when you smoke it. And I am not talking potency, I am talking smoothness, taste, enjoyability of the experience.

Plants are all different, some drastically, some subtlety. The plant you mentioned and the problems you have don't sound like they are all that close to pot to me.

Chronic777

I gotta harvest it all at the same time as im drying in the same tent i grew in, think im gonna do my plain water feeding today then harvest in a few days, as i dont like couch lock either, i already got most trics cloudy so i think shes almost ready, just a few more days to use up whats left of any nutes & for a few more pistils to change color

I maybe shoulda done plain water for more than one feeding, but before i was using a mix with bioboost which is a metaboliser with no nutes in it, so it mustve helped use up nutes if anything... biocanna say to use it in the last week up until harvest so it must be okay

M

mexilandrace

oh, and let your plant go another week with just water. so finish this one, then finish next week and chop chop then.

cloudy is ripe, clear is under, and amber is over. You need a bunch of amber to get couchlock. One or two here and there won't matter and the end result will be worth it.

just my opinion.

Chronic777

lol im just gonna see how i feel them responding in a few days, if i feel they need more plain water ill go another 4/5 days...the whole point of this organic stuff is to have the purest bud possible so maybe worth going a bit longer to use plain water

Love your quote btw!

mad librettist

Veteran
You are on a slippery slope with your assumptions.

Organics is easy to do, but hard to do perfectly for our purposes. The trick is to get it down to the point that the nutes are just about used up completely at the moment you want to harvest. This is hard to get perfect every time.

But, if you get close, but not quite, a flush a week before harvest helps immensely. The quality difference is obvious when you smoke it. And I am not talking potency, I am talking smoothness, taste, enjoyability of the experience.

Plants are all different, some drastically, some subtlety. The plant you mentioned and the problems you have don't sound like they are all that close to pot to me.

which assumptions? I've looked at the science and I have seen the science at work in my cannabis, carnivorous plant, and food crops.

Here is the deal: bacteria create a film out of something called polysaccharides. This anchors them in place, so they can't be washed away. Further, there is a certain amount of water unavailable to plants that is held to the medium by an electrical charge. It can't even evaporate. Bacteria live there.

Bacteria are made of nutes. The protozoans that live among them (and many of them can't be washed away either) are going to eat them and release those nutes, regardless of what you feed. In fact, my carnivorous plant disaster proves that, and only once I learned what was going on could I do something about it.

Now tell me, which is the bad assumption - that i can flush away something that cannot be moved by flowing water, or that I may as well accept that microbes and the nutes they carry are around until I bake the soil in an oven and irradiate it?

If your plant is turning yellow, it has probably ceased to produce root exudates that feed the critters that give it N. So those critters wind down operations.

M

mexilandrace

which assumptions? I've looked at the science and I have seen the science at work in my cannabis, carnivorous plant, and food crops.

Here is the deal: bacteria create a film out of something called polysaccharides. This anchors them in place, so they can't be washed away. Further, there is a certain amount of water unavailable to plants that is held to the medium by an electrical charge. It can't even evaporate. Bacteria live there.

Bacteria are made of nutes. The protozoans that live among them (and many of them can't be washed away either) are going to eat them and release those nutes, regardless of what you feed. In fact, my carnivorous plant disaster proves that, and only once I learned what was going on could I do something about it.

Now tell me, which is the bad assumption - that i can flush away something that cannot be moved by flowing water, or that I may as well accept that microbes and the nutes they carry are around until I bake the soil in an oven and irradiate it?

If your plant is turning yellow, it has probably ceased to produce root exudates that feed the critters that give it N. So those critters wind down operations.

I looked at the science too, and I talked to folks like you do. Then I grew for 10 years. Had a 2 acre organice garden for 3 years, and I planted and harvested from 4 different fruit trees a year before I was supposed to be able to.

wisdom is something you can't teach, the feel for the plants, you can't teach that. I am not being a dick to you, not doubting your knowledge. You need to get a feel for things.

The mechanisms involved with carnivorous plants are very unique. A plant that evolved to survive by eatiing animals cannot be compared to a plant that works pretty much exactly as most plants do. My plants don't eat bugs, if they did I would be happy to have gnats and mites. A plant with very specific needs isn't a good learning point and certainly not a point to make assumptions about all plants.

again, just my opinion.

mad librettist

Veteran
The mechanisms involved with carnivorous plants are very unique. A plant that evolved to survive by eatiing animals cannot be compared to a plant that works pretty much exactly as most plants do. My plants don't eat bugs, if they did I would be happy to have gnats and mites. A plant with very specific needs isn't a good learning point and certainly not a point to make assumptions about all plants.

again, just my opinion.

First off, questioning what i say is not being a dick. Talking about your experience as a set-up to the old appeal to authority trick is not even being a dick. It's just forum talk. So don't sweat it.

The mechanisms whereby my drosera absorb most of their nutes through their leaves is not at issue, nor did I bring it up. And actually, because my drosera's roots are so sensitive to pH and nutrient availability, and because they can basically confirm the presence of mineralized N in the rhizosphere, they are very relevant and useful teachers.

The world, btw, has been growing for way more than 10 years. And I'm realizing more and more that I just haven't been paying attention. Not in the slightest. This season, I have resolved to pay attention. So there you have it. Your 10 years growing, dwarfed by the earth's growing, dwarfs my growing, which only started today if I count the times I was paying attention.

what of it though. were you about to explain to me how it's possible to flush bacteria from the grow with water, and declare your soil free of nutes, and then tell others all kinds of stuff based on the assumption?

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I'm harvesting in a week and a half,I have stopped feeding the soil over a week ago. Two more waterings and then a controlled drought the last few days. After harvest I will re-amend the existing soil and water with a EWC tea.

Also,I don't expect the nutes to just go away,I kind of feel they will get depleted more than anything. I'm sure there will still be plenty of activity from the microbes doing their thing,just a little slower.

Last edited:

Zendo

I gave up on the "flushing" thing myself. In organic soil all I think I understand you can do is have a mix that depletes the nutes a week before harvest,or stop feeding with the teas a couple weeks before harvest. I also like letting the plant use up most of moisture in the soil before I cut,that way they dry a bit quicker.

:yeahthats 100% IMO.

baet

^yeah!
the idea that organic soil can be flushed of its nutrients contradicts the way the organic soil web works i would think. 100% organic medium is a living organism, very similar to our own digestive track, the microbes in the soil create the nutrients and feed the plant, and the plant eats when its hungry.
unless you removed/killed the microbes, would you be able to fully remove the nutrients of this living system we call the organic soil web.

mad librettist-i love how you mentioned the earths long history of flourishing growth before humans. i was talking to a friend/grower/mentor last week who worked with elaine ingham and he was blowing my mind a little. he was talking about the growth of plants in nature. and how people have this idea that cannabis is in a league of its own.
we're doing a 100% vermicompost medium, waterfed, with occasional teas. we're gonna be using these beds for years!
good stuff man