What's new

question about 400w vert potential.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
can a 400w set up do a two tier vertical sog. Under what conditions can this be done if so?

No one is really doing small sogs on this forum.
:thank you:

P

pine boy

A 400 bare vertical bulb will light up a 24"-30" plant.you can surround the bulb with as many of these as possible depending on who you are growing.15" from the bulb is a start point
My haze plant is really wide so that cuts the numbers down but with a unicola plant, I could fit more.I'm searching for that girl.
Short plants and small pots,Yeah you could pull off two teirs.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Yes, Marlo has those 400's dialed, read through his thread to see what can be done with them...

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
can a 400w set up do a two tier vertical sog. Under what conditions can this be done if so?

No one is really doing small sogs on this forum.
:thank you:

yes it is possible, but you're going to need to pack em tight and as close as possible to the bulb .. ie Marlo thread, he got it going over there....

you can even do a four if you want ;)

cheers,

Last edited:

one Q

Quality
Veteran
trust me Ive BEEEEEN on Malro's threads. But he grows little bushes. I was watching wisco do his thing too but he also does little bushes. Im not interested in vegging at all.

Im talking about a 3" clones root to flower sog.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
I recommend you start the grow, post lots of pics, and be ready to make changes. People on this forum will guide you through the grow if you are willing to listen to suggestions.

It's working for me....

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
trust me Ive BEEEEEN on Malro's threads. But he grows little bushes. I was watching wisco do his thing too but he also does little bushes. Im not interested in vegging at all.

i can help you play this game if you can put in the work ...

how much you're looking to get off one 400 and how much clones can you produces ???

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran

let say 2 tiers each side, you're going to have 4 or at least 5 surround that bulb .... each tier will have minimum of 20 clones at 3 inches rooted no veg... 5x20 = 100 clones each run

it depends, with you skills and strains dependent ... and if you can pack em in that tight. ... let just say 4 - 5 grams each plant you're going to pretty much cover that gpw you first run

now if you can put in the work im sure its possible... and given time and expriences im sure you will get much more then 4 - 5 per plant ...

just a thought ....
cheers,

prowler

I'm starting up a kind of v-sog with a barebulb 600w in a 150x150cm tent. Waiting for a clone/mom/veg cab (and some new coco- was sold out from the local hydro shop) before opening my topic again.

5 shelves with 3 usable racks each packing 2 6,5l containers filled with coco(nuts!) as much as needed and one or two 100% sativas on buckets in front of the door so i can move them around when entering the room. Total plant count around 30'ish with some veg time. I'll have to dial it in first...

I stopped updating my last grow because it was kind of sad in my opinion. I think that with this setup i can achieve the same results with one barebulb 600w than i used to do with 2 cooltubed 600w.

Right now my veggers are a bit over grown for a sog because i had to move - but after 2-3 months it will be pretty much dialed in. Looking forward to it! :)

one Q

Quality
Veteran
let say 2 tiers each side, you're going to have 4 or at least 5 surround that bulb .... each tier will have minimum of 20 clones at 3 inches rooted no veg... 5x20 = 100 clones each run

it depends, with you skills and strains dependent ... and if you can pack em in that tight. ... let just say 4 - 5 grams each plant you're going to pretty much cover that gpw you first run

now if you can put in the work im sure its possible... and given time and expriences im sure you will get much more then 4 - 5 per plant ...

just a thought ....
cheers,

I was thinking more like 4 sides, like a square. Only cause of the 5th side bringing the count up to 100...

If I did do the 5 side, what's the smallest it could be pulled off in? 5x5, 4x4?

Off to crunch numbers...

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was thinking more like 4 sides, like a square. Only cause of the 5th side bringing the count up to 100...

If I did do the 5 side, what's the smallest it could be pulled off in? 5x5, 4x4?

Off to crunch numbers...

well now we're talking .. if you want to do a square, which mean collesium style instead of staidum sog now ...

you're going to do collesium / sog with 4 walls each wall have 2 tiers and each tier going to need 10 - 15 clones each ..

let just say 2 x 15 = 30

30 x 8 = 240 ....

now let just say if you can pack 240 clones give or take in there
and flower it straight up

now with the lowball figure i would say 2 - 4 grams per plants each run . 4 x 240 = ??????

now this is all depends the way you grow and how much clones you can pump out and the kind of number you're willing to work it

some people are afraid of over 100 plants,,, but doing sog and no veg i would say you have to take that risk if you want big rewards.

other then that you could always use less then 100 clones and spread them out evenly ... that would work as well

this one is up to you, give us a bit more info,,,, i would say this work well in a 4x4 area, if co2 i would say 5x5 or 6x6...

options are endless with this one
cheers,

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Why do you want to use vertical bulb with a SOG from 3" clones? SOG from 3" clones with no veg time produces short densely packed colas with a relatively even surface that can best absorb light from above. Vertical bulb orientation is better suited for taller plants which offer greater light absorbing surface area, and budding sites, in profile, ie. when exposed to a sideways light source.

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey Crusader, i get what you;re saying

but hes not going to use 600 or 1k, the intensity on the 400 is much weaker then 600 or 1k , now if you're going to use the hood you're to lose much more intensity vs hanging it vertical

I have seen high country post and i think one Q not looking for that set up or the same growing style .... hes looking to get the most out of that 400.

have you gotten any experiences with this style ?
if so post up some pics and result

we all love to learn new things ;)

cheers,

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Hi redspaghetti

No I can't say that I'm experienced with vertical or SOG. I'm not trying to claim experience that is not mine.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what one Q is trying to do here. Marlo's having success placing his well trained plants around a few 400's to maximize the number of budsites exposed to light. But Q doesn't want to grow "bushes" like Marlo. Q wants to put 3" clones into 12/12 immediately in a SOG. How does light penetrate sideways into a Sea OF Green?

You are discussing arranging two tiers of plants around the bulb in a coliseum or stadium arrangement. Now the plants further away are elevated so as not to have their light blocked by those closer to the bulb. Would you still call this SOG?

Off to crunch numbers...

Bro, if I was you and doing a 400, I'd run 60 plants - 15 columns (hell, you could do 16 because you could reach into yours, which obviously I can't do with mine) of 2" PVC with 60 2" wyes - probably run you ~$200-$300 bucks to setup up, take you a few hours - boom bam, you're done.

Basically what I have (mine is 4" PVC) but a smaller version - easy peasie bro.

Check out some Cage grows to see what a 400 VSOG can do - Disciple over at cannabis - world dot org had a nice grow you should prolly peep.

Attachments

• 2.23.11 030.jpg
    2.23.11 030.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.23.11 026.jpg
    2.23.11 026.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.23.11 027.jpg
    2.23.11 027.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 11