What's new

Quest to find out WHY some BHO turns into "butter" or "budder" over time?

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Howdy Hashmasta!!! You still taking those most EXCELLENT photographs? Honey oil addiction, I bet you are cancer free with all that THC! As much as THC cures, it PREVENTS even better.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i have a new passion lately, making glass things, and lots of things are taking a back seat to that. i do take pictures of nice glass a lot lately though.. :) my sister made these things, i need more practice still to do this good myself.

bwh2.jpg

ho1.jpg

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
you provokement of negativity begets you it. no one else is being a fucking dick around here. you have some issues you should deal with, and then maybe you can argue and banter with people in a civil cordial manner, like i do :D

indifferent

Veteran
Er, I don't give a shit about people's egos or opinions, but I do care about oil making information and what is correct, so rather than bitching back and forth, can either of you prove that bubbles in BHO are either volatile terpenes or butane?

I am very interesting in ways of ensuring that as many terpenoids as possible are retained in my extracts, i don't like bubble hash because you lose the water soluble terpenoids.

I'm also very interested in learning how best to purge my extracts to remove solvents fully.

So can we stick to posting hard science and facts instead of blowing hot air back and forth please.

Some good info on proper purging practices for BHO would be a nice start, including techniques for removal of solvents, this is not cannabis specific information, the essential oil extraction industry is pretty big and employs the same processes as we are interested in.

My experiences and those of friends that make BHO is the slower and gentler the purge the better the end result in terms of terpenoids retained and using hot water baths is not a good idea, you want the slowest, gentlest purging possible so those volatile terpenoids don;t evaporate but the butane does. Don't have any science to back this up though, does anyone else?

Terpene Bubbles

I keep proving that you would rather lie about science than admit your oil needs improvement. You would let others follow your lead and leave the butane in their oil.

jump117

Veteran
Hi Hashmasta-Kut,

Primary BHO had lemonene smell and bubbles, boiling point of lemonene is 176 °C, 349 °F
after overheating BHO changes a color to dark and lost lemonene smell and bubbles in the same time.

conclusion A - lemonene was in bubbles,

conclusion B - butan bubbles evaporated, lemonene oxidized to carveol and carvone (spearmint, caraway, dill).

I think this deplorable misunderstanding grows from a simple logic fail in interpretation of observations.
I'd like to but have no idea on how to cure the situation, THC and terpens are not helpful in this case.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
no you dont prove that part. the crazy part yes, the proof on butane or terpenes in the bubbles you haven't provided. and if you did it would be false, cuz i have seen the opposite proven true, with physical irrefutable data.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i can see your logic, and exactly what you are saying jump. yes you are right, it could be either of those things you suggested, i agree, except that i can prove not all bubbles in a sample are butane. this points to conclusion one being more likely, and conclusion 2 to not as likely. my test i did proving many bubbles not to be butane negates conclusion 2 actually. i offered you the information if you wanted to pm me before, but you refused. if you dont want to know the truth, thats no skin off my back, just your loss.

Terpene Bubbles

The burden of proof is on you, not me. Thousands of years of alchemy, chemistry, and physics show us that there are two ways for things to vaporize. You are confusing one with another.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i have proven it to myself. and will provide this info to those who pm me in a cordial fashion, and who have held a mature attitude about this info. you are definitely one of the least cordial i seen lately, so i dont feel like sharing my secret with you really, you dont deserve it.

Bang on!

Bang on!

Er, I don't give a shit about people's egos or opinions, but I do care about oil making information and what is correct, so rather than bitching back and forth, can either of you prove that bubbles in BHO are either volatile terpenes or butane?

I am very interesting in ways of ensuring that as many terpenoids as possible are retained in my extracts, i don't like bubble hash because you lose the water soluble terpenoids.

I'm also very interested in learning how best to purge my extracts to remove solvents fully.

So can we stick to posting hard science and facts instead of blowing hot air back and forth please.

Some good info on proper purging practices for BHO would be a nice start, including techniques for removal of solvents, this is not cannabis specific information, the essential oil extraction industry is pretty big and employs the same processes as we are interested in.

My experiences and those of friends that make BHO is the slower and gentler the purge the better the end result in terms of terpenoids retained and using hot water baths is not a good idea, you want the slowest, gentlest purging possible so those volatile terpenoids don;t evaporate but the butane does. Don't have any science to back this up though, does anyone else?

All of what you say is true, i wish we all could just put the past aside and pool everyones ideas please. Not much to ask please, everyone, smoke, chill, then onward for stoner science.
Pool the knowledge please

Physical chemistry is all about energy, to get evaporation you must input energy. Terpenes will evaporate naturally from your extractions so using the lowest amount of energy equals lowest loss of terpenes. Butane boils at 0* Celsius, so as long as your enviroment is above butanes boiling point and air pressure is nothing severe, then as long as the butane does not get trapped (why the slight agitation required), a gently purge is best as you also say.

I could also be very wrong and would love to know what i am doing wrong and how to inprove it with non science lab equipment.

Kut, you must have tried the above method at some point, could you comment on the pros and cons of it please,

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
which above method, slow gentler purge? i typically do a short gentle purge and depending on the strain, you should be hotter or cooler, as some lose their odor/taste very easily.

Kut , can i ask, do you actually think the oils (terpenesand others non cannabinoids) play a part in the stone/ high? Any ideas please

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
some of the bubbles are butane though, the first large ones that flame up. and some subsequent rounds of bubbles will be butane as well.

i do actually think terpenoids play a large part in the characteristics of the stone for sure. i had feelings in that direction intuitively for years, but skunkman did concrete tests of it actually a year or three ago, and totally found this to be the case as well. i was like well ya, that totally makes sense!

if you take marijuana, make oil out of it and remove all the terpenes you can from it, you are left with something that will be blandly similar to all other strains' extract. i used to severely overpurge my oil(back when i though all bubbles were butane, lol), and it all came out tasting about the same, and not as stoney for sure. a more boring stone in general. if you carefully preserve as much of the lighter volatiles that may offgass in a butane purge process not only is the product much tastier, its also highly representative of the complete stonal qualities possible in that plant.

Latest posts

Latest posts