What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quest to find out WHY some BHO turns into "butter" or "budder" over time?

Noble Person

Listen to this dude. Hook me up with the Brenneissen / ElSohly 1988 and the Hendricks 1978 and the Ross / ElSohly 1995 and I'll be better equipped to do so. Interesting trades considered. Even Clarke put cannabinoids before terpenoids in attributing secondary effects to chemicals other than THC in his 2007 work for ElSohly's book.

Ross, S.A., ElSohly, M.A. (1995) Constituents of Cannabis sativa L. XXVIII.
A review of the natural constituents: 1980– 1994. Zagazig Journal of
Pharmaceutical Science 4 (2), 1 – 10

Brenneisen, R. and ElSohly, M. A. (1988) Chromatographic and spectroscopic profiles of
Cannabis of different origins: Part I. J. Forensic Sci. 33(6), 1385–1404

Hendriks. H. et al (1978) The essential oil of
Cannabis sativa. Pharmaceutisch Weekblad 113, 413-422

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
lol banned again. its amazing people cant see what evaporates out of oil in bubble form is a lot of terpenes. just try making a lemony strain at a low temperature purge, and you will have lovely lemony oil. now make it a bit hotter, and cook all the bubble out, and it tastes like garbage. cant be the terpenes evaporating can it? and oh wait, why does the house reek insanely like lemons when i purge a lemony strain at too high a temp? cant be terpenes offgassing can it? :D

duh.

Decades ago I used to store my buds in 2 quart glass jars vacuumed sealed shut. 2 points, first every time I vacuumed the jars the room would fill with terpenoid smells, so much I worried about it harming the smell or potency of the buds.
Second, one time I left a rubber band in a jar by accident, when the jar was opened a year or so later, the rubber had melted into a pool on the bottom of the jar. I have seen the rubber gaskets on the jars get tacky also. The worst offender was Original Haze super rich in Terpenoids.
Moral of the story, Terpenoids are volatile at room temperatures under the right conditions like lowered atmospheric pressures in a jar.
-SamS

Noble Person

Yes but Kut continuously evades the actual point and attempts to claim that they're so volatile that they make bubbles in his oil trying to escape. And that these bubbles are not butane.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Even Clarke put cannabinoids before terpenoids in attributing secondary effects to chemicals other than THC in his 2007 work for ElSohly's book.

Sure but the material was written in 2000 for Cannabis and Cannabinoids Ed. by Franjo Grotenhermen, and updated for ElSohly, just when Clarke helped me with my Terpenoid experiments where we conclusively proved that Terpenoids + THC are much more important then any of the other NON-THC Cannabinoids, like CBD, CBC, THCV, CBG, CBN. As the other Cannabinoids don't get you higher as much as they negatively modify THC as in the case of CBD, making THC slower in onset, lower in peak effects, and longer lasting, not better to most folks, maybe to a few.
None of the Cannabinoids make THC better unless you easily get paranoid or turn white and fall down from clean THC and need some CBD to avoid getting so high so fast, or you just prefer couchlock type highs. But very little Cannabis grown in the west has much of any Cannabinoid beside THC anyway.
If you want to get so high so fast then you want the right Terpenoids with lots of THC, simple enough.
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Listen to this dude. Hook me up with the Brenneissen / ElSohly 1988 and the Hendricks 1978 and the Ross / ElSohly 1995 and I'll be better equipped to do so.

Ross, S.A., ElSohly, M.A. (1995) Constituents of Cannabis sativa L. XXVIII.
A review of the natural constituents: 1980– 1994. Zagazig Journal of
Pharmaceutical Science 4 (2), 1 – 10

Brenneisen, R. and ElSohly, M. A. (1988) Chromatographic and spectroscopic profiles of
Cannabis of different origins: Part I. J. Forensic Sci. 33(6), 1385–1404

Hendriks. H. et al (1978) The essential oil of
Cannabis sativa. Pharmaceutisch Weekblad 113, 413-422

No I don't think so, because you can't find the answers in published research, you need to do the work yourself to get the answers, anyway that is what I have found.
-SamS

Noble Person

I don't think I'll be responding to your demands then. Make sure you never publish your claims about terpenoids and their effects with THC, otherwise it will invalidate your claim by your logic. After all, published research is meaningless and people must do the work themselves to get the answers. Knowing that strains from a certain region budder up, and having the exact quantitative and qualitative data of the terpenoid profiles of strains from different regions, obviously wouldn't help me answer your question. Sarcasm. What's really obvious is that you don't have those articles or you don't actually care about the answers to your questions - only care about asking them so you can play the shot caller.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
A dozen rats, me and RCC included. Full organoleptic survey with 50 questions for each compound or compounds, a dozen pure Cannabinoids and a dozen Terpenoids. Vaporized in a volcano, different day for each compound.
But to be honest I get tired of trying to prove what I know to be true.
You can believe me or not, I don't really care.
I can lead a horse to water, but I can't make it drink.
-SamS

Last edited:

Noble Person

Just make sure you don't publish it, otherwise you'll have to do it all over again just to prove it to yourself. Don't ask me any more questions that you don't want the answer to.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I don't think I'll be responding to your demands then. Make sure you never publish your claims about terpenoids and their effects with THC, otherwise it will invalidate your claim by your logic. After all, published research is meaningless and people must do the work themselves to get the answers. Knowing that strains from a certain region budder up, and having the exact quantitative and qualitative data of the terpenoid profiles of strains from different regions, obviously wouldn't help me answer your question. Sarcasm. What's really obvious is that you don't have those articles or you don't actually care about the answers to your questions - only care about asking them so you can play the shot caller.

I have nothing against published science articles. I do have the 3 articles as hard copy only.
I only meant in the case of this specific issue, there are no articles on the issue in print, so you need to do the work to find the answers.
The reason I asked about which terpenoids helped or hindered the BUDDER process is because I hoped you might know. It is not to help me it is because I am interested in how it works.
-SamS

Noble Person

Look at the Brenneisen 1988 and see what's in the regional strains people claim budder up easier that aren't in others. Or what aren't there.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I have no idea what BUTTERS easy or not, I never make BHO and have never made BUDDER, and have no idea what varieties are best or worst. I was just interested in the subject.
-SamS

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
oil does turn buddery after a long time in my experience (2-3 months?), but I've seen some people's turn buddery faster, like in a week or so.,

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Yes I do for analysis, but not for personal consumption, never.
To me a lab is a place for analytical work and to answer questions, not improve my smoke.
I am a dry sift guy, plain and simple. I can't imagine anyone needing a product thats more then 70% THC and rich in terpenoids, like found in the best dry sift.
But I try not to tell others how to live their life, or what to smoke, for that matter.
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Sounds good, who knows, maybe that is one of the things keeping me busy. I do have a full lab. To be honest I can't make my dry sift any cleaner, it just melts through all screens regardless of how fine.

OH, OH, BANNED again, Really Noble Sam, what exactly is your problem?
-SamS

He's done it again

Never even got the chance to say welcome back 'Sam'

(Mummbles again while flying into a 3 year toddler style tantrum at NP while he draws another pentogram and lights more candles).

NP some things you can see straight away with your education, please come back and teach that to others here. Please do not waste that brain, you can help the sick, teach them, show them, help them, stop them posioning themselves even.

No idea what you done/ said/ upset this time, (will find out soon enough), please chill, smoke some and let your next reincarnation help those who wish to gain from your wealth of wisdom

Wanted to ask him about photochemical reations and certain esters that could aid the plant ripening process, that could maybe effect essential oils other than cannabinoids

Ideas Sam as a change in oils would surely change the budder physical process
Does light effect it?

jump117

Veteran
... does the said co-psychoactivity substance volatilize together with the smell
or does it stay in extract having high boiling point?

Does the said co-psychoactivity substance volatilize together with the smell
or does it stay in extract having high boiling point?