What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Q&A on new to Canada..."Double Ended" grow lights.

CalMag

Veteran
I like the 1000w 400v DE from gavita, but with a bit less of 1000€ i’ve buildt a cob panel with the latest cree cob’s (cxb3590), with cobs it’s like 1€/w, 200w of citizens costs like 147€ so i would stay with gavita If i could grow in bigger places with aircondition and co2, cobs for smaller places because of the lower temps.

Adjust a wings made a reflector for 600/750w with Hellion ballast for less money than gavita, this one will let you grow closer to the light because of the wide spreading area.
I’ve seen some Kit of those aaw reflectors with 1000w bulbs but i would Ask them by email If those support the 1000w (they sell also just the reflector with DE adaptor without ballast).

So it’s possible to use a gavita ballast 1000 de Pro and one of theese reflectors to spread better the light and stay closer to the canopy.
Probably better with air condition.

HiFiGanja

I like the 1000w 400v DE from gavita, but with a bit less of 1000€ i’ve buildt a cob panel with the latest cree cob’s (cxb3590), with cobs it’s like 1€/w, 200w of citizens costs like 147€ so i would stay with gavita If i could grow in bigger places with aircondition and co2, cobs for smaller places because of the lower temps.

Adjust a wings made a reflector for 600/750w with Hellion ballast for less money than gavita, this one will let you grow closer to the light because of the wide spreading area.
I’ve seen some Kit of those aaw reflectors with 1000w bulbs but i would Ask them by email If those support the 1000w (they sell also just the reflector with DE adaptor without ballast).

So it’s possible to use a gavita ballast 1000 de Pro and one of theese reflectors to spread better the light and stay closer to the canopy.
Probably better with air condition.

If you don't need the fancy electronic in the Gavita E series then the Classic DE on is about $40 wholesale cheaper. In Canada Gavita just dropped their prices. Again if you don't care about 120V just 240V or electronic controls than Agrolux is much cheaper and just as good plus they come with the real Philips 1000W DE green bulb. The wholesale price for Agrolux has dropped 2 now.

Also there is an Agrolux ALF 1000 Ballast that runs 120Kh is 120/240 and adjustable and should be able to spark a DE Philips to its full limit just don't know what reflectors would work with this one.

20171121_171142.jpg

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
No the Gavitas are going their job the knock off Illimunar or what ever its called is doing the same as the regular 1000W bulb. I have them testing for me. I was hoping the knock off was going to do good as its a bit cheaper. Next test with be with the knock off and Philips Green DE 1000W.

ahhh gotcha. I'll have to try swapping the bulbs on my illuminairs out after this run.

HiFiGanja

Do you know if thats through sunlight or rambridge? or both?

Through Rambridge I don't deal through Sunlight so don't know. Mind you the BS part it Gavita forced Rambridge to raise the prices because Sunlight came to Canada and from what I heard they were paying for Gavita in US funds so their CDN cost was much higher because of exchange rate. Gavita has nice equipment but I have no love their their tactics.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Through Rambridge I don't deal through Sunlight so don't know. Mind you the BS part it Gavita forced Rambridge to raise the prices because Sunlight came to Canada and from what I heard they were paying for Gavita in US funds so their CDN cost was much higher because of exchange rate. Gavita has nice equipment but I have no love their their tactics.

Yeah, some of the stores I deal with here in BC pretty much have to buy their gavitas through sunlight because they choke out the supply to rambridge.

I feel bad for them when they worked so hard to bring the lights to the Canadian market, promoting the fuck outta them at every tradeshow booth.

HiFiGanja

Yeah, some of the stores I deal with here in BC pretty much have to buy their gavitas through sunlight because they choke out the supply to rambridge.

I feel bad for them when they worked so hard to bring the lights to the Canadian market, promoting the fuck outta them at every tradeshow booth.

I get it through Rambridge, never got anything from Sunlight although there seems to be something happening with some of the wholesalers who use to bring in Sunlight branded stuff and now seems to be carrying Hydrofarm instead. I think I was told Sunlight has a $2500 min order per local shipment lol what fucking idiot came up with that especially with this market and where most suppliers will only have a $500 which is easy to get.

There are some things I don't like about Rambridge but I think most of it comes down to dealing with Gavita for warranties but they have came through always so far and I'd rather support local and not opportunistic parasite companies that just come in when they smell money and disturb local economies. Hey I don't mind cheaper prices as after all I'm here to make money from my store but not when it forces prices up on product that I just started customers to believe in (Gavita De) and the prices get jacked up because of USA based competition.

I second the PL lights. I am just finishing my first run with them and seeing positive results.

When I walk out of the SE 1000w hps room and into the PL room, its like 10x brighter overall. Its insane.

digging

@growshopfrank do you foresee the price coming down on these DE vertical fixtures ?

And your right, convert that price to CDN dollars and there like $250 plus shipping.

One can only hope they will come down in price.

growshopfrank

Veteran
Considering how far you have to have the plants from DE bulbs this would require way more sqf for vertical growing vs single ended hps 1000W hps.

As soon as i get some in i will be giving them the test
Look for some comments on them around March break if all goes as planned.

growshopfrank

Veteran
@growshopfrank do you foresee the price coming down on these DE vertical fixtures ?

And your right, convert that price to CDN dollars and there like $250 plus shipping.

One can only hope they will come down in price.

The advanced Canadian distributor pricing with currency adjusted is higher than the retail pricing in the link that i posted.
The only reason that i used that link is that after a quick search it was the only online listing of that product i saw.

When the reflectors are in stock the pricing may see some adjustment depending on how the sales go.