What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Q&A on new to Canada..."Double Ended" grow lights.

zizration

i read that the de bulbs push more red than the single. apparently weed grown under de is considered to not look quite as nice as the light spectrum is so heavy to th red. apparently guys in colorado consider it a "commercial bulb". i have never used one..

more elbows always seemed like good idea to me personally.

bigbag

Veteran
I set up the 600 Gavita's year's ago, well before the company sold out. I love them and continue to run but moving forward I can't back them ethically, only practically. used to use GH 3 part as well, now I run Remo nutrients. I have seen certain LED's and LEC's shit on Gavita's tho, in yield and quality ;) I'm sure we'll see GH nutes and Gavita light system's at Walmart soon enough...

I use pl double ended 1000w. Nice compact and light comparéd to the single ended. I am in a sealed grow with co2 and just finished à fort grow. Very good yield but potency was down....I'll see how goes the next one. Its à médical grow so I always need the best I can make.

HiFiGanja

i read that the de bulbs push more red than the single. apparently weed grown under de is considered to not look quite as nice as the light spectrum is so heavy to th red. apparently guys in colorado consider it a "commercial bulb". i have never used one..

more elbows always seemed like good idea to me personally.

If you can't grow as in a being a good gardener your product will suck no matter what but everyone that I know of that knows how to grow has grown some crazy looking weed under Gavita/Agolux this is people who still get $1700-$2100 for their stuff.

clearheaded

there is other cheap models of double ended and I am curious how they do. imagine not as good as gavita however 1/3 the price or something. guess just need to search youtube lol

Limeygreen

Veteran
Agrolux should be cheaper than gavita fixture, close enough especially if you're buying multiple lamps. I personally would contact the manufactures rather than hydro store for a look at better pricing.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
is there hocus-pokus marketing with the gavitas' replaceable reflector option? There is good logic with that but could just be good marketing.. no one else mentions it in their propaganda.

BTW, Grow Logic is taking orders on a vertical DE fixture that will be ship in Mid Dec(17)..
https://growershouse.com/grow-logic-vertical-de-complete

I'm running a 650w LED but going back to vertical is calling me.

EDIT: Just realized this was a Canada issue...
sorry if it seems like I might be screwing with you-all.

clearheaded

na dont think marketing as the reflectors are meant to be used in like greenhouse or huge tall building. esp as light source is alot small then from normal HPS to get better spread without being 10 feet above canopy need different reflector.

Limeygreen

Veteran
As far as I can tell the replaceable aspect of these reflectors is so it is easily taken on and off for cleaning, if you are able to remove them easily and faster for cleaning it is worth it when you have hundreds of lights if you run a dozen and feel your time on it is fine then no need, just a time saver.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
As far as I can tell the replaceable aspect of these reflectors is so it is easily taken on and off for cleaning, if you are able to remove them easily and faster for cleaning it is worth it when you have hundreds of lights if you run a dozen and feel your time on it is fine then no need, just a time saver.
Cleaning is recommended but they state that the aluminum finish inside the reflector degrades rather quickly due to the long, intense light proximity to the bulb, retards reflection %.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=8112580

Im currently doing a side-by-side grow with Iluminar 600/750w Double ended setups, which are a reverse engineered Gavita.

So far i'm very happy with the results. I know of at least 20 different 100KW+ grows around the Fraser Valley who've overhauled to Gavitas or other double ended bulbs and are very very happy.

In Cali and Colorado its pretty much the industry standard now for warehouse grows

HiFiGanja

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=8112580

Im currently doing a side-by-side grow with Iluminar 600/750w Double ended setups, which are a reverse engineered Gavita.

So far i'm very happy with the results. I know of at least 20 different 100KW+ grows around the Fraser Valley who've overhauled to Gavitas or other double ended bulbs and are very very happy.

In Cali and Colorado its pretty much the industry standard now for warehouse grows

I have one guy testing them (1000W) and he ain't impressed says they're doing same as regular 1000W and the Gavitas next to it are kicking ass. He just ordered shit load of more gavitas. Also Agrolux have come in price quite a bit wholesale.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Cleaning is recommended but they state that the aluminum finish inside the reflector degrades rather quickly due to the long, intense light proximity to the bulb, retards reflection %.

Cleaning is usually recommended for greenhouse every year or two, using water should be sufficient or mild detergent and high volume water works well, several companies actually have machines for cleaning reflectors as you lose quite a bit of light from dirty reflectors, PL for example. If you have a light metre and know where you started with a brand new reflector and bulb it is quite easy to see if it needs to be cleaned or not. I am surprised that those reflectors would wear out just from the bulb, sounds pretty cheap I will have to check with the other companies and see if they are saying the same thing.

I’ve got a couple adjust a watt DE ballasts and and 6” hoods. I like them because the fucking bulbs last twice as long and cost half the fucking money to replace. :)
Also they are CSA approved which becomes pertinent when you are growing legally.

Last edited:

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
I have one guy testing them (1000W) and he ain't impressed says they're doing same as regular 1000W and the Gavitas next to it are kicking ass. He just ordered shit load of more gavitas. Also Agrolux have come in price quite a bit wholesale.

i'd get him to troubleshoot the environment/nute uptake etc. he should be seeing a difference unless something is holding em back.

HiFiGanja

i'd get him to troubleshoot the environment/nute uptake etc. he should be seeing a difference unless something is holding em back.

They're all in the same room, they got 70+ Gavitas and normally pull 1.7-2lb per light, they even pull close to 2lb with the LED arrays they are testing so not a grower issue here.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
if the gavitas aren't outperforming single ended, then they're hitting the ceiling for what the strain can do or something else.

2.5-3 is pretty normal for most tuned in DE rooms these days. (and I say that as a guy in the wholesale end of the hydro equipment industry, not just parroting some guy's theory from rollitup.org)

rmkking

LED's for efficiency, run cooler, less cooling needed, crazy long lifetime. In 5 years I could see most people switched over

HiFiGanja

if the gavitas aren't outperforming single ended, then they're hitting the ceiling for what the strain can do or something else.

2.5-3 is pretty normal for most tuned in DE rooms these days. (and I say that as a guy in the wholesale end of the hydro equipment industry, not just parroting some guy's theory from rollitup.org)

No the Gavitas are going their job the knock off Illimunar or what ever its called is doing the same as the regular 1000W bulb. I have them testing for me. I was hoping the knock off was going to do good as its a bit cheaper. Next test with be with the knock off and Philips Green DE 1000W.

HiFiGanja

LED's for efficiency, run cooler, less cooling needed, crazy long lifetime. In 5 years I could see most people switched over

The LED that my customer is using cost them $2500 each not financially feasible these day if you got 100 lights to replace. That's why they went with Gravitas after testing them $575 for a Gavita or $2500 for each LED panel.