What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pushing Limits- #1 The medical SOG(ish) Room

C

Cheeb

lookin' good!

Would love to see some shots with the lights off. HPS color really sucks the beauty out it.

pushlimits

Week-6, day-1

Week-6, day-1

Sixth week, day 1. The nutrient blast in week 5 really payed off; Each bud has doubled in height, the stink is overwhelming, and a couple plants toppled over from weight.

The fan leaves are starting to yellow at a steady but predictable rate. I got the humidity under stricter control now. No pest, rot, or mildew to report, but I did get a little tip burn from pushing nutrient levels last week. No matter, I will now begin to incrementally drop E.C. until final flush.

Irrigation water: PH 5.8-6.2, EC 0.8-1.0

Cheeb- just saw your post, will do buddy. They always seem much prettier without that orange glow anyway.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
oh ..shit ..man!! awesome job , the garden looks incredible healthy fucking green..keep that shit up !!!
high class work!!!

brightskies

In a bubble
Veteran
Nice little corn field you got going there PTL!

I'm enjoying your grow. Thanks for putting it up for us to share!

pushlimits

Color shots week 6

Color shots week 6

As requested, here are the non-HPS tainted color shots. I really like the color of this strain, it's very lime green with fantastic bag (or should I say jar) appeal. You can't see it yet, but, the red hairs contrast very nicely to the bright green calyxes. very pretty when all is said and done.

It's easy to see why this strain is called lemon skunk: When you touch the buds, it smells like a lemon grenade went off in your hand. Oddly enough, it taste nothing like lemons: more like floral soap.-?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Justin_Credible

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary....
Veteran
<clip>

As for the water heater, were should I begin, hmmm..

it would seem to most that it is very toasty in there, but I am afraid it's not the reality. I have went through several measures to stabilize the ambient temperature in there. ( which I will elaborate in the ventilation chapter!) I live in a state with notoriously unpredictable weather and extremely cold temps, and the incoming water is VERY cold.

The explanation for the cold ass water is pretty simple. I have a well that is very deep, and my incoming water travels underground. demographically the ground temperature below 36" almost never thaws, and even when it does, it stays uber cold- year round.

My incoming water travels through the cold ground, and spits out into the rez (even through the R.O.) at around 45-55 degrees. with the heater, it stays at 65-67 degrees.

This temp makes PH adjustment simpler and the plants don't freak out when they are delicate. Young plants would droop for an hour of so after watering. not anymore.

<clip>

:yeahthats
Ditto accept mine is shallow, water still comes out too cold. Summer is even a problem...water still comes out if running long enuff to get say 50 gals? It only 48f... Plants uptake of nutes best at 65-70 deg no? It what I have mine set at. ;)

:good:
Hey man...
You are a VERY smart person. I love ur setup and also greatly appreciate u taking the time to show us electrical setup like u did. Ventilation chapter is also very cool, ur right..my motto too is u can never have too much air.

Thanks for doing this man, sorry for rambling in here J.C. got stoned and spent almost an hour reading in this thread now. :scripture:
:laughing:
Tagged

"You may not vote on any more threads today"
^^^^^
J.C. hit u up next round...
:lurk:

:blowbubbles:

pushlimits

Thanks for the kind words J.C., and welcome aboard. I'm glad to have you here.

Honestly, I'm not sure if plants take up nutrients better at warmer temps, I'll have to look into that, but I'll tell you one thing: they like it much better!

This thread will shortly be coming to a close :( . I would like to thank everyone for the thoughtful discussion and heartfelt compliments. I am fortunate to be in such good company. You guys make my monotonous evenings and nagging girlfriend much easier to handle.

Be sure to check out the last couple weeks of flowering, the yield, and the things I learned from this grow. In about 3-4 weeks I'll start a new journal (Pushing Limits#-2) and the madness begins all over again!

Justin_Credible

Veteran
Thanks for the kind words J.C., and welcome aboard. I'm glad to have you here.

Honestly, I'm not sure if plants take up nutrients better at warmer temps, I'll have to look into that, but I'll tell you one thing: they like it much better!

This tread will shortly be coming to a close :( . I would like to thank everyone for the thoughtful discussion and heartfelt compliments. I am fortunate to be in such good company. You guys make my monotonous evenings and nagging girlfriend much easier to handle.

Be sure to check out the last couple weeks of flowering, the yield, and the things I learned from this grow. In about 3-4 weeks I'll start a new journal (Pushing Limits#-2) and the madness begins all over again!
:laughing:
Yeah man, my GF is usually nagging me because J.C. on here too much.

Yeah i think I read in my indoor bible about nutes temps and 65-70 along with proper ph is perfect for plants to take up nutes. Anyway, look forward to seeing the harvest man, sorry I joined so late but followed my buddy Brightskis in here and well...
:joint:

pushlimits

Week-7 day 1

Week-7 day 1

First day of week 7. Plants are doing good, fan leaves are almost all yellow now, the calyxes are becoming much more pronounced, and the trichome heads are filling up nicely (but nowhere near bursting yet).

Irrigation water: PH- 5.8-6.2 E.C.- 0.0. Flushing begins, nutrients are no longer given from this point on. I don't use flushing agents yet:for the fear of shocking them too early. I know foreplay's over, but it's no time to blow my load either!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

brightskies

In a bubble
Veteran
Really looking nice PTL! Great photos too!

Yeah, you better be careful PTL! Those ladies are for sure working their magic ways. Stick to the plan man. You'll get your way with them in the end.

Justin_Credible

Veteran
First day of week 7. Plants are doing good, fan leaves are almost all yellow now, the calyxes are becoming much more pronounced, and the trichome heads are filling up nicely (but nowhere near bursting yet).

Irrigation water: PH- 5.8-6.2 E.C.- 0.0. Flushing begins, nutrients are no longer given from this point on. I don't use flushing agents yet:for the fear of shocking them too early. I know foreplay's over, but it's no time to blow my load either!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

:yoinks:
Nice update...Very nice!
Yeah man, J.C. has always just shut them off when it is time. I do not add things to flush either, str-8 water. Looks great man, happy harvest coming ur way.:tiphat:

pushlimits

Clone Taking

Clone Taking

It's week 7 and I take my clones now.

There's are a million cloning tutorials out their, and I'm not going to insult anyone's intelligence by explaining it once again, but I thought I'd show you guys how I take my clones and share a few things I've observed along the way.

I use two products; Clonex gel, and Anti-wilt spray. Clonex is a great product, it's a sterilizer and rotting hormone in an easy to apply gel. The Anti-wilt spray is absolutely awesome, I haven't lost 1 clone since I started using it! It sprays a waxy film onto the clones helping them retain moisture, and keeps them rigid. These products are not necessary, but they help my strike rate substantially.

Which brings me to one of my tips: cutting on an angle, expensive cloning gels, healthy mother, trimming leaf tips, Ect means Absolutely Nothing, if you don't have a good environment. I repeat: Environment should be your biggest concern.

It doesn't matter how you clone, every method will get results if you have a good environment.

So, I will share a couple tips to making a cozy home for these delicate infants we call clones.

1. A light that's too bright will make it difficult for cuttings to take root. I'm not sure why this is... but, it is. (it's contrary to all we're told about indoor gardening) One florescent lamp works great. compact, t-5, t-8, t-12, doesn't matter, they all work.
  2. Humidity is very important and domes work great, but the plants need to breath as well. be sure to crack open those air vents on the top. If they wilt: shut them more, If they turn yellow: open them more.
  3. Temperature of the medium should be warmer then foliage. Again, I wish I knew why, but, I'll tell you what: a $20 pre-set seedling heat mat is a great investment. (helps with the humidity too!)
  4. Moisture, bla bla bla you guys have heard this a million times; not wet, not dry: But Damp.
  5. Make sure your stuff is CLEAN.
I'm not saying I'm an expert, Their are people here 1000x better then myself, but I've just learned a few things along the way. Certain techniques, good products, yeah they help, but the environment is everything.

Here's some pics:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

pushlimits

Week 8, Day 1

Week 8, Day 1

First day of week 8. The stench permeates at least 20 yards around my house...yikes. I'd rather the smell was gone, but, I'm not too worried. oh well, beauty of being legal I guess.

Aside form the smell, the only problem with my garden is some of the plants are toppling over... now that I think of it, I guess things could be worse: because it's a consequence of being too heavy after all!!

Irrigation water; PH- 5.8-6.2 EC- 0.0

Trichome watch: about 10-20% cloudy, 80-90% clear. Even though so few are cloudy, almost all the heads are full and bulbus. These plants will be ready at the end of the week, no question in my mind, but, you never know.

picture.php

picture.php

WoW

WoW

Pushlimits,

First of all, wow, I just cruised through your thread, and especially liked the beginning where you took the time to document your room and associated accessories. That room is t t t Tight!! Sorry for the stutter, it happens when I get a little excited.

I really liked how you hung your lights, that is slick with the track and all.

Ha, we should have our rooms get together and bump uglies, maybe it would spawn an evil demon room with tight lines!

Seriously though, looks great, excellent post for anyone interested in building a tight grow space.

Second, your buds look freakin awesome man! Building a room is one thing, keepin them green and pretty for a few months is another thing entirely!

Sorry to hear about your buds dropping over, ever thought about SCROGin them ladies? Sure does eliminate the hell out of that problem!

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my screens, once again congrats on your grow!

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I really like seeing the next round all perky and in their dome waiting for their turn in the sun!

On a cloning note if you don't have a small cfl and area for cloning, setting the tray in the corner of the veg room on the floor works for me. The 1Kw is more than 12feet away so it isn't too strong for them, but you are correct if they get so much light that they want to grow their leaves, they forget that they need roots!

:joint:

pushlimits

GoldenGlow- Ha Ha- Our rooms bumping uglies to make evil grow room spawns, that's the funniest thing I've seen in a while! and if rooms could bump uglies, ours would make a brutal room. LOL

I've tried screens before, but they were nothing as nice as yours! To be honest I liked it, but, it's just not for me, probably because I'm too lazy!

You set-up is one of the nicest I've seen on IC, no bullshit, it's titties. You have a keen sense of detail, and construction. Ever think of engineering school?, you should. Keep up the good work. I'll be keeping an eye on your grows.

Hydrosun- yeah, I figured it out the hard way: I've murdered many a clones back in the day form putting them a couple feet away from a 400w metal halide. I thought- " oh, the bulb will keep them warm". It seems silly now, but it made sense then!

In my defense, that was before you could buy grow books at Borders! " For The times, they are, a changin"- Bob Dylan.

Yeah hydrosun, I totally dig your room too. Don't think I haven't read your stuff too: much respect. I can't even hang, I wouldn't know what to do with that much room. But you pull it off gracefully! I love it.

*mistress*

Veteran
pushlimits said:
Anybody out there run a dehumidifier, environmental controller, Or any electronic device for that matter, in their room? If so, how do you deal with the indicator lights during the dark period?
3X layers dukt taep.....

...table...
+
...pedal for water...
= :yes:...

nice thred...

Last edited: